GM Doug Whaley's end of season press conference

Rico

He had been gathering information all season long and even discussing the shortcomings with Rex on weekly calls. He had seen enough and decided that was it after Rex wanted to know where he stood. With Rex as a direct report there was no need to talk to the GM.

Whaley was the first one Pegula informed after he told Rex. So all this knashing of teeth over what Whaley knew and when is even more silly. Given the season long discussions Pegula referred to, I'm sure Whaley had an inkling Ryan was on thin ice, but Pegs didn't need his permission.

• Replies 834
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Top Posters In This Topic

Whaley was the first one Pegula informed after he told Rex. So all this knashing of teeth over what Whaley knew and when is even more silly. Given the season long discussions Pegula referred to, I'm sure Whaley had an inkling Ryan was on thin ice, but Pegs didn't need his permission.

Executive decision. Over and done with. Next!

How hard is that to understand? Not to mention the fact that Terry and Kim knew that Rex wasn't Whaley's first choice. Terry had heard exactly what Whaley thinks during each game. How hard is it to know what the feelings are of the guy you watch the games with what he thinks of Rex Ryan. This stuff is just so stupid to be discussing.

Funny I did exactly the same thing. My point is we don't work at OBD, they could very well have a policy that they don't discuss firing the HC during the season. The only ones that could break that policy are Kim and Terry.

I doubt that Terry and Kim would have that policy. They just joined the party. Whaley said that was the policy the Steelers had when he was there, and he took it with him to Buffalo.

BS

What does this have to do with the Pegulas making the decision?

if you have.. you would know that despite being the head of the selection process on a hire, there is always someone who has to "approve" the final decision on a hire of exposure and magnitude. Unless you own the company: Edited by YoloinOhio

The local media has not impressed of late with the silly questions to Rex about rumors, asking Lynn about Rex being fired and now today with the line of questioning.

A line of questioning that insults the intelligence of the audience (at least those whose intelligence can be insulted) and reeks of a desperate attempt to manufacture events in support of a preconceived narrative and predetermined outcome. I feel for the actual professionals in the room who got smeared via their proximity.

i think it's obvious why they didn't need to formally talk to him first.

Some people just feel the way they want to. If they want to think the Pegula's are fish floundering out of water - there's nothing that can be said to change their mind except winning.

It's no wonder we suck for 17 years. Allegedly the f@#$ing GM doesn't know what is going on with major decision making, or he's the biggest damn liar in Buffalo!!!!! I'm not upset about dumb and dumber packing their bags, but one would have to think that the GM would know what is going on within his spectrum of responsibility. This is just bizarre.

A line of questioning that insults the intelligence of the audience (at least those whose intelligence can be insulted) and reeks of a desperate attempt to manufacture events in support of a preconceived narrative and predetermined outcome. I feel for the actual professionals in the room who got smeared via their proximity.

Exactly.

So their all wrong?

Right or wrong isn't the question. It's about relevancy and what the fans are interested in hearing, not the personal agendas of the less-than-mediocre local reporters who appear to care more about grinding their wee axes than getting to the news.

Rex worked for Terry. Rex told him on that one-on-one phone call, according to reports, "If you're going to fire me, fire me now."

Terry had probably wanted to wait until the end of the season. He probably intended to warn Russ and Doug in advance. But now that push unexpectedly came to shove, Terry honored Rex's request.

So Whaley was not "privy" to that conversation. That conversation was unplanned and no one knew in advance where it would go.

Here are the only facts that actually matter. Rex was fired. Even continuity guys like me can see why. Now Whaley is in charge of the new HC search. GMs typically hire HCs so putting Whaley in charge is interesting (given his past role) but nothing especially worrisome.

I see no drama here. No sign of dysfunction. I'll pass on all the hand-wringing and Sully-esque whining.

Or - at least - I'll wait until Whaley chooses a new HC.

So many gems. One of my favorites was "Do you feel fortunate that EJ didn't cost you your job?" :lol:

Thanks!

"This team is a national laughingstock, with people at the top of the organization who have no idea how to fix some of the many problems, let alone all of them. The capper to the whole fiasco for me was when Whaley actually said the Bills arent that far away. Far away from what, Rochester?" :lol:

Edited by Rico

Rex worked for Terry. Rex told him on that one-on-one phone call, according to reports, "If you're going to fire me, fire me now."

Terry had probably wanted to wait until the end of the season. He probably intended to warn Russ and Doug in advance. But now that push unexpectedly came to shove, Terry honored Rex's request.

So Whaley was not "privy" to that conversation. That conversation was unplanned and no one knew in advance where it would go.

Here are the only facts that actually matter. Rex was fired. Even continuity guys like me can see why. Now Whaley is in charge of the new HC search. GMs typically hire HCs so putting Whaley in charge is interesting (given his past role) but nothing especially worrisome.

I see no drama here. No sign of dysfunction. I'll pass on all the hand-wringing and Sully-esque whining.

Or - at least - I'll wait until Whaley chooses a new HC.

You'd think at some point the local guys would have felt shame having over and over described the simplicity above as "confusing."

I listened to the entire press conference, and came out of it thinking more highly of Whaley than I did going in.

The media clearly has a drama, disaster role to push. There isn't much attention and eyeballs to 7-9 on our way to 9-7, and now Rex is gone for the good sound bite.

Whaley sometimes avoided the questions, sometimes repeated a prepared one liner, and sometimes answered cryptically, but I don't fault him for this. He gains nothing by throwing Rex under the bus and being viewed as a bad GM to work for. Saying "Yes, all year long when I talked to Terry I indicated and hinted that Rex was a disaster and would not get my vote of confidence after the season if he misses the playoffs, so go ahead and fire him whenever you want", doesn't gain anything.

I am sure since they talk every week, Terry and Doug continued to be on the same page about what was going wrong during this season and if it was correctable or if Rex wasn't likely to be the right direction. Whaley gets to stay out of the middle the way it unfolded, and defer to his owner who made the call, but he doesn't have to come out and say exactly how he was involved and where he was involved in the thought process and the development that led to the decision, and specifically the timing of the decision (especially if Rex forced that issue).

But I also think he did a pretty good job of not slumming with the press corps as they went a little overboard in pressing for tidbits and gotcha games that he wasn't interested in playing.

So now it is on him to hire a HC, and help bring in an OC and DC who can get the job done, and figure out how to make that work with Tyrod, Romo, or plan C.

I think this is what happened when the BILLS hired Rex Ryan and that it went down like this:

• Russ Brandon wanted Rex. Whaley really didn't want Rex. Whaley wanted Hue Jackson
  • Pegulas trusted Russ Brandon more than Whaley so therefore choose Rex because of Brandon's recommendation (Dont let him leave the building") plus they liked Rex as a person. Pegulas after the fact found out that they got played per say by Brandon and Rex. and given how things played out decided to own their mistake and fire Rex and removed Brandon from the process. He would have fired Brandon to, but he is too valuable in his role of marketing and other things that he does for both the BILLS and Sabres.

So now by letting Whaley handle the hiring process this is Terry's way of saying 'fine we were wrong' so I'll let you call the shots this time. If you are right great. If not you will be fired and I will nuke the whole thing.

I think this is pretty accurate.

"This team is a national laughingstock, with people at the top of the organization who have no idea how to fix some of the many problems, let alone all of them. The capper to the whole fiasco for me was when Whaley actually said the Bills arent that far away. Far away from what, Rochester?" :lol:

They aren't far away from the playoffs. Would you honestly argue that?

I think this is pretty accurate.

They aren't far away from the playoffs. Would you honestly argue that?

Based on the talent level I've seen this year and the "braintrust" that remains, I would say 18 and counting is a lock barring a miracle.