MMQB Rips Bills

norton20

I underscored the main point about the Bills drafting. It's quite a rip job but there are some fair points.

http://mmqb.si.com/mmqb/2016/12/31/nfl-week-17-sheldon-richardson-contract-sam-bradford-buffalo-bills-teddy-bridgewater-michael-bennett

And, oh my goodness, look: If Teddy Bridgewater is healthy enough to open 2017 as Minnesota’s starter, and the Vikings put Sam Bradford on the block, thenthere’s a Pro Bowl-caliber that can be had! And for what, a first-rounder? The Bills haven’t made use of those the past couple years anyway. (Entering Sunday, a combined total of eight games started by Bills first-round draft picks from the past four drafts this season.) That’s a plan Bills fans should be able to get behind. Otherwise, it’s pray EJ Manuel has secretly developed into a replacement-level starter, chase another dart-throw developmental QB this spring, and be thankful you’re 7-9, mostly because the Jets are lagging even further behind in their rebuild. So, really, there’s nothing stopping Whaley from making the move for Bradford if the opportunity presents itself.

Edited by Just Jack

Sounds about right . . . and add the injuries etc. to all of that.

Whether it is true or not, Doug Whaley seems to have told everyone who can hear him (ownership, media) that the roster is an 11-5 roster or something like that. Accordingly, because the roster is so good, we had an elite QB, and we had so much depth to overcome all of the injuries that we have suffered etc., it must have been Rex's fault that we did not make the playoffs.

Now that we have gotten rid of the only impediment to success (Rex), we should be competing for Super Bowls beginning next year and for years to come.

In the words of Bart Scott (when he is not explaining how simple the defense is to Marcell): "Can't wait."

https://youtu.be/tKnG06-oYcg

Thanks Doug.

Edited by Peter

He brings up the point that the last 4 1st round draft picks only played 8 games this season.

Now, I'm not saying everything is perfect in Bills land (keep Russ away from any football decisions: Draft, coaches, etc.), but that is really cherry picking. Yes, it looks like a big miss on EJ, and you can say we gave up too much for Sammy, and everyone knew Shaq was hurt.

But, it does not note to the casual fan that Sammy and Shaq were hurt most of the year. It doesn't explain that we are only talking 3 players not 4 (because of the Sammy trade), or that Sammy is a game changer when healthy, or that Shaq may turn out to be a great Player, or that Shaq was most likely a Rex pick. And, he conveniently stopped at 4 years, I assume because he wanted to make a point (had an agenda)...not mentioning the two years before that were Stephone and Marcel, both who have been good players for the Bills (despite Dareus' issues earlier this year). That would add, what, another 24 or 25 starts this season by Bills 1st round picks. Just sayin'.

Edited by folz

Yawn. Ripping on the Bills has become fashionable these days. So has ripping on Doug Whaley. And if anyone believes this guy spent "most of this season" trying to trace why people thought the Bills could win 10 games this season, I've got a bridge for him to buy.

Example article from before the 2015 season when it was fashionable to believe that because of the Rex and Roman hirings and the 2014 D returning all but 1 starter, the Bills were playoff-bound.

Example article from before the 2016 season, Mike Rodhak predicts 9-7 and has us losing the final game to the Jets (which obviously could go the other way and be 10-6). I'm sure I could find more, as well as find predictions that went the other way.

Why oh why are they ripping up Bills? If they've got that much cash, why not just give it to somebody (me), or donate it to charity. Seems a waste to rip up Bills - even on New Year's eve. Maybe they partied too much and were drunk.

100% correct. Whaley needs to go.

And don't stop there. This cute little re-boot we are doing right now with Lynn in and Tyrod out is just setting the clock back even further.

Until Pegula breaks out the Flammenwerfer, this is all deck chairs on the Titanic type stuff.

They are ripping the Bills?? Then they must be hacks, know nothings.. Regardless that the negative narrative has been correct for 17 years now. Let's circle those wagons and defend this train wreck of a front office. Cause no one does it better than us.

And the overall coaching.

This

kinda what I meant by defense but correct

This

And Special Teams.

He brings up the point that the last 4 1st round draft picks only played 8 games this season.

Now, I'm not saying everything is perfect in Bills land (keep Russ away from any football decisions: Draft, coaches, etc.), but that is really cherry picking. Yes, it looks like a big miss on EJ, and you can say we gave up too much for Sammy, and everyone knew Shaq was hurt.

But, it does not note to the casual fan that Sammy and Shaq were hurt most of the year. It doesn't explain that we are only talking 3 players not 4 (because of the Sammy trade), or that Sammy is a game changer when healthy, or that Shaq may turn out to be a great Player, or that Shaq was most likely a Rex pick. And, he conveniently stopped at 4 years, I assume because he wanted to make a point (had an agenda)...not mentioning the two years before that were Stephone and Marcel, both who have been good players for the Bills (despite Dareus' issues earlier this year). That would add, what, another 24 or 25 starts this season by Bills 1st round picks. Just sayin'.

This is the case IMO as well.

Sounds about right . . . and add the injuries etc. to all of that.

Whether it is true or not, Doug Whaley seems to have told everyone who can hear him (ownership, media) that the roster is an 11-5 roster or something like that. Accordingly, because the roster is so good, we had an elite QB, and we had so much depth to overcome all of the injuries that we have suffered etc., it must have been Rex's fault that we did not make the playoffs.

Now that we have gotten rid of the only impediment to success (Rex), we should be competing for Super Bowls beginning next year and for years to come.

In the words of Bart Scott (when he is not explaining how simple the defense is to Marcell): "Can't wait."

Thanks Doug.

Looks like you nailed it.

Yawn. Ripping on the Bills has become fashionable these days. So has ripping on Doug Whaley. And if anyone believes this guy spent "most of this season" trying to trace why people thought the Bills could win 10 games this season, I've got a bridge for him to buy.

Example article from before the 2015 season when it was fashionable to believe that because of the Rex and Roman hirings and the 2014 D returning all but 1 starter, the Bills were playoff-bound.

Example article from before the 2016 season, Mike Rodhak predicts 9-7 and has us losing the final game to the Jets (which obviously could go the other way and be 10-6). I'm sure I could find more, as well as find predictions that went the other way.

Here's my theory why the Bills get hammered so hard by the national media. Most of these writers pay little attention to the Bills normally. So when a story like a coaching change comes down the pike, what do they do to catch up? Talk to the local Buffalo News writers, of course! They either read or talk to Bucky or Sully to get their hot take on the Bills situation.

Need evidence? Look at the draft pick quote, straight out of Tim Graham's recent story. Ladies and gentlemen, your media echo chamber at work.

Edited by PromoTheRobot

And don't stop there. This cute little re-boot we are doing right now with Lynn in and Tyrod out is just setting the clock back even further.

Until Pegula breaks out the Flammenwerfer, this is all deck chairs on the Titanic type stuff.

That's really what I'm afraid of. I was hoping for a total house cleaning, but it looks like they're just going to clean up a couple of the rooms most guests see. Edited by BarleyNY

I really don't get this reflex to rip the press when they rip the Bills. 17 years and counting with no playoffs. The Bills and their management are getting what they deserve until they start winning on a consistent basis and make the playoffs. The overt dysfunction with the Bills continues and the destructive leaks are merely a symptom. There is no one we should be defending at this point, other than the Pegulas for keeping the Bills in Buffalo.

I really don't get this reflex to rip the press when they rip the Bills. 17 years and counting with no playoffs. The Bills and their management are getting what they deserve until they start winning on a consistent basis and make the playoffs. The overt dysfunction with the Bills continues and the destructive leaks are merely a symptom. There is no one we should be defending at this point, other than the Pegulas for keeping the Bills in Buffalo.

Because there is a difference between calling something a schitt show and understanding what is actually happening.

First off, the 17 year drought is somewhat meaningless because the current ownership and administration has only been in charge for three seasons.

Second, the Bills have not gone 0-16 three years in a row. The team is actually just over .500. So they are missing the playoffs by a game or two.

Third, the Bills are full of talent. They have 2 pro bowl starters and 7 alternates. They are 7th in scoring right now. They lead the league in rushing. They might set a record today for fewest turnovers. THIS IS NOT THE DEFINITION OF A DUMPSTER FIRE!!

The Bucky & Sully style of writing is meant to validate the frustration of angry fans. It's not meant to illuminate or analyze.