Hire Matt Patricia!!!

ROONDOGG55

• Replies 277
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Top Posters In This Topic

There is also a question of fit. The Patriots draft high IQ players as a trait. The Bills look for size/speed/power guys. That's why Bills D and Rex were a mismatch. Bills players could run Seattle scheme as they draft for players in a similar mold.

If we did hire a Patricia or McDaniels we would have a huge purge of players to fit their coaching style.

Well, the Bills requested an interview with McDaniels last time and it never happened. I also didn't notice their names in the Jets and Dolphins recent interviews. I think the burden is on people who think they would want to start their coaching career against Brady and Belichick.

You have to think they would requested to speak with McDaniels. Everyone else has. My guess is that he turned them down. He needs to go to a place that sets him up to win if he wants to have a long career as a head coach. Buffalo ain't that place right now.

You have to think they would requested to speak with McDaniels. Everyone else has. My guess is that he turned them down. He needs to go to a place that sets him up to win if he wants to have a long career as a head coach. Buffalo ain't that place right now.

Yes, I think so. And Whaley did call McDaniels last time and it appears we were turned down.

Insay the GM in Atlanta been pretty good as has O'Brien.

No offense, but I don't understand always bring up the GM in Atlanta when people are talking about the success/failures of BB coaching tree? He was a scout for the Pats, not a coach under BB, so it doesnt apply to a discussion in relation to the BB coaching tree in the NFL. And truth be told, he was on the hot seat coming into this season after 3 straight dismal seasons due to his inability to build a defense, especially after finishing 8-8 last year after a 6-1 start.

And I get O'Brien has made playoffs twice, but he isnt exactly a concrete example of HC success from the BB coaching tree. He barely has a winning record, and only does because he plays in the worst division in all of the NFL where 8 to 9 wins can win you the division. Essentially has 2 gimme games a year against the Jags, the Colts lost Luck for most of last year, and aren't that good even with Luck. And the Titans were not good last year really but took a big step forward this year by adding a great rushing attack in the offseason with Murray and Henry additions which helped Mariota take a step forward. But in the midst of a battle for the division crown they lost Mariota and gift wrapped the division to the Texans.

Now that doesn't make O'Brien a bad coach, just saying the jury is still out because the team hasnt been very impressive under him. In any of the other 3 AFC divisions, he and the texans wouldn't finish any better than 3rd and O'Brien would have a losing record as a HC. They aren't going to finish higher than KC, Den, or Raiders in AFC West would battle SD for last place. They wouldn't finish better than the Pats, Miami or probably even Buffalo in our division. They wouldn't finish better than Pitt, Balt, or Cincy in that division. They are a 9 win team because they get 4 to 6 easy games a season the last 2 years in their NFL worst division.

O'Brien may go not to have a long successful career as an NFL HC, but if he does, he will be the FIRST of many that have come from BB tree. That doesnt mean every coordinator will fail from BB tree, and I do like Matt's potential, but I hate the idea of McDaniels as a HC who has failed both places not named NE.

No offense, but I don't understand always bring up the GM in Atlanta when people are talking about the success/failures of BB coaching tree? He was a scout for the Pats, not a coach under BB, so it doesnt apply to a discussion in relation to the BB coaching tree in the NFL. And truth be told, he was on the hot seat coming into this season after 3 straight dismal seasons due to his inability to build a defense, especially after finishing 8-8 last year after a 6-1 start.

And I get O'Brien has made playoffs twice, but he isnt exactly a concrete example of HC success from the BB coaching tree. He barely has a winning record, and only does because he plays in the worst division in all of the NFL where 8 to 9 wins can win you the division. Essentially has 2 gimme games a year against the Jags, the Colts lost Luck for most of last year, and aren't that good even with Luck. And the Titans were not good last year really but took a big step forward this year by adding a great rushing attack in the offseason with Murray and Henry additions which helped Mariota take a step forward. But in the midst of a battle for the division crown they lost Mariota and gift wrapped the division to the Texans.

Now that doesn't make O'Brien a bad coach, just saying the jury is still out because the team hasnt been very impressive under him. In any of the other 3 AFC divisions, he and the texans wouldn't finish any better than 3rd and O'Brien would have a losing record as a HC. They aren't going to finish higher than KC, Den, or Raiders in AFC West would battle SD for last place. They wouldn't finish better than the Pats, Miami or probably even Buffalo in our division. They wouldn't finish better than Pitt, Balt, or Cincy in that division. They are a 9 win team because they get 4 to 6 easy games a season the last 2 years in their NFL worst division.

O'Brien may go not to have a long successful career as an NFL HC, but if he does, he will be the FIRST of many that have come from BB tree. That doesnt mean every coordinator will fail from BB tree, and I do like Matt's potential, but I hate the idea of McDaniels as a HC who has failed both places not named NE.

It's about individuals. See above. Nick Saban, while a college coach, is the greatest coach not named Bill Belichick in the USA.

Why are we not interviewing him for our head coaching vacancy? He has been part of a winning culture for years and knows bellicheat inside out. Their defense always seems to have our number, along with everyone's number in the league. Is there something I'm missing beside the failures of McDaniels and Mangini?

he's too smart for Whaley

It's about individuals. See above. Nick Saban, while a college coach, is the greatest coach not named Bill Belichick in the USA.

College and the NFL do not translate most the time...we are talking about NFL success. College is a completely different animal...when you have a top program like the school he leads, you get to keep restocking the cupboard with the best recruits in the country. In the NFL, that is not the case and many coaches from the College ranks fail or don't have the same success here.

Just because Saban has been dominant in College doesn't mean he would make a great NFL HC. And at the end of the day, what we are talking about in terms of the BB coaching tree is NFL success because they would coaching an NFL team, not a college team.

College and the NFL do not translate most the time...we are talking about NFL success. College is a completely different animal...when you have a top program like the school he leads, you get to keep restocking the cupboard with the best recruits in the country. In the NFL, that is not the case and many coaches from the College ranks fail or don't have the same success here.

Just because Saban has been dominant in College doesn't mean he would make a great NFL HC. And at the end of the day, what we are talking about in terms of the BB coaching tree is NFL success because they would coaching an NFL team, not a college team.

Again, I go back to individuals. People thought Rogers might be a bust because he was from the Tedford "QB tree," if you will. I simply don't buy the fact that because someone worked for Belichick, they're likely to fail as head coaches. That's correlation, not causation. I tend to dismiss such arguments out of hand. No offense.

Again, I go back to individuals. People thought Rogers might be a bust because he was from the Tedford "QB tree," if you will. I simply don't buy the fact that because someone worked for Belichick, they're likely to fail as head coaches. That's correlation, not causation. I tend to dismiss such arguments out of hand. No offense.

I don't automatically dismiss Bellichick disciples out of hand either. Although not many have panned out. The problem with them is that they succeed, IMO, in large part, because of certain Bellichick qualities that I think you just can't learn or take away. He's by far the best game planner in the league, he's the best talent evaluator as far as choosing players that fit his distinct systems, and he's an incredible motivator getting all of these guys on the same page and playing as a team on game day. Those are three incredibly important concepts that his disciples don't take with them, but helped them do their jobs to an extraordinary degree.

I don't automatically dismiss Bellichick disciples out of hand either. Although not many have panned out. The problem with them is that they succeed, IMO, in large part, because of certain Bellichick qualities that I think you just can't learn or take away. He's by far the best game planner in the league, he's the best talent evaluator as far as choosing players that fit his distinct systems, and he's an incredible motivator getting all of these guys on the same page and playing as a team on game day. Those are three incredibly important concepts that his disciples don't take with them, but helped them do their jobs to an extraordinary degree.

Except for Mangini to a moderate extent (a wounded Pennington and an aging Favre), the qb situations all of them fell into were bad, basically. That can't be discounted. I still maintain that Romeo Crennel's achievement of 10 victories in Cleveland is an underrated feat.

Most coaches don't pan out if you think about it. Very few actually stick for any length of time.

Therefore, BB's "tree" didn't pan out. But it doesn't mean anything because most coaches fail.

Totally agree, but the reason the "tree" comes up so much is because when discussing the coordinators from NE every year the big thing people hype about them is that they learned from BB. But the reality is, that learning under BB has had no relevancy to coaches going on to become good NFL HC's somewhere else. So just because you worked for Bill doesn't make you any more likely to be a good HC.

But I am really intrigued by Matt and think he has real potential to be a good HC...but thats based on him, not the fact that he worked for BB.

Except for Mangini to a moderate extent (a wounded Pennington and an aging Favre), the qb situations all of them fell into were bad, basically. That can't be discounted. I still maintain that Romeo Crennel's achievement of 10 victories in Cleveland is an underrated feat.

That doesn't address the point.

That doesn't address the point.

I guess I don't really buy your implied point - that they drink BB koolaid and set out to replicate what he does in NE in the places they end up. They're all different and coach differently. Bill O'Brien is not like Romeo Crennel. The most BB-like of the bunch in my opinion is Mangini, at least in terms of temperament.

I guess I don't really buy your implied point - that they drink BB koolaid and set out to replicate what he does in NE in the places they end up. They're all different and coach differently. Bill O'Brien is not like Romeo Crennel. The most BB-like of the bunch in my opinion is Mangini, at least in terms of temperament.

Bill O'brien isn't like Romeo... But Romeo is the DC in Houston...