Breaking News: Rex Ryan and Rob Ryan Fired

My issue with Whaley is pure speculation. But I think he thinks this is a good roster led by a poor HC.

I think (with injuries and suspensions factored in) that this is an average roster that was led by an average coach.

I'm guessing Whaley overrates his work.

Yep. Setting aside excuses, the results do not demonstrate success. They show mediocrity. That's not "hating on Whaley". That's reality striped bare of propaganda.

• Replies 598
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Top Posters In This Topic

That's unlikely. Heck, JAX didn't even wait until the team plane got home lol. No, if they wanted to embarrass Rex fire him on xmas or the day after. The Bills job is only unattractive due to the QB situation. The owner has deep pockets, the Bills have talent and a strong running game. Good fan base. A more clear structure it seems with Whaley to hire the HC as is customary around the league. Not wholly unattractive, there are only 32 of these jobs and not all are open.

Completely agree with this. Unattractive? Like you said, there are 32 of these jobs. I could see maybe Jim Harbaugh or existing NFL head coaches saying no, but any high profile coordinator who wants to be a HC is not going to say, "Buffalo? Nah."

That you shouldnt promise a top 5 defense and deliver a historically bad one?

that is such BS. Coaches get fired all the time.

There are only 32 of these jobs available. People will be jumping at this opportunity.

If someone in demand has a choice between a situation where you get fired in less than two years even though you have been the most successful Bills HC in 17 years notwithstanding injuries, suspensions, bottom half QB

V

A situation where you are be given a fair amount of time etc.

The question answers itself UNLESS the Pegulas overpay and promise that coach would be given the time etc.

Completely agree with this. Unattractive? Like you said, there are 32 of these jobs. I could see maybe Jim Harbaugh or existing NFL head coaches saying no, but any high profile coordinator who wants to be a HC is not going to say, "Buffalo? Nah."

How many games did Jags HC have before he got fired?

Whaley really hasn't done that bad of a job, but there are still areas where he needs to do better. His low budget free agent pickups have been great, but his batting average draftwise could be better. He also needs to face the fact that the pick of EJ was a miss and move on from him. Granted he's trying to make moves to get the right QB in, but he's been missing so far (like many other teams). The Pegulas should also take a step back and let Whaley pick his own head coach to sink or swim with (hopefully Lynn or a credible coach with a history of winning and assembling a competent staff).

I don't understand the hate on Whaley. He has drafted well, typically getting 3 starters per draft. 2nd and 3rd rounders have been good picks, and even late rounders have been contributors. Getting starters in the 2nd round is 50% at best, 3rd round, probably 30% success rate. 2-4 Rookies have been contributing their first year.

Finding Brown, Alexander, etc. as free agents on the cheap has been great.

Late Xmas present is appreciated. I have a decent personal list of whom i wish would end up in this building at the HC/OC/DC spots. I really think Coughlin or Pollian as a Czar would be a huge step forward. Otherwise, while i Like Lynn, i'd want a full year as a OC before asking him to HC.

TT should be kept but not on his current contract. We/He should renegotiate to another "prove it" contract since this year was a throw away. I understand not playing him, so we don't just hand him 30 million if he gets hurt

I don't understand the hate on Whaley. He has drafted well, typically getting 3 starters per draft. 2nd and 3rd rounders have been good picks, and even late rounders have been contributors. Getting starters in the 2nd round is 50% at best, 3rd round, probably 30% success rate. 2-4 Rookies have been contributing their first year.

Finding Brown, Alexander, etc. as free agents on the cheap has been great.

I liked Whaley except for:

Presumably throwing Rex under bus with leaks and owners.

Revisionist history re whether he supported Rex hire.

Trading too much for Sammy.

If someone in demand has a choice between a situation where you get fired in less than two years even though you have been the most successful Bills HC in 17 years notwithstanding injuries, suspensions, bottom half QB

V

A situation where you are be given a fair amount of time etc.

The question answers itself UNLESS the Pegulas overpay and promise that coach would be given the time etc.

How many games did Jags HC have before he got fired?

Not sure how that applies. The NFL is a results based business. We hear that all the time. The players hear it. The coaches know it. Bradley losing for 4 seasons, or whatever it was, and Rex losing for 2 and then getting fired isn't going to be used as rationalization in someone's mind when deciding whether or not to accept an offer in Buffalo.

This is most likely about TTs injury guarantee on his option, not Manuel. EJ is probably gone, but could return as a backup. The next HC may or may not want Taylor, too much risk in a game that doesn't affect the Bills season. Word all along was Whaley wanted to sit TT after the PIT game and Rex didnt. Makes sense now.

I understand, but we weren't even eliminated from the playoff hunt after the PIT loss. Whaley wanting to sit TT after that loss makes no sense. Unless he really likes EJ, and wants to prove he was right. I understand the contract clause, but you wouldn't even think about sitting your starter while still in the playoff race. You don't worry about an injury clause when winnng games was still the priority. So most people think that TT won't be back since they don't want to risk an injury. Many also say EJ won't be back. Who will be our starter next year in that case? That's why it's hard for me to believe that this doesn't mean Whaley wants EJ next year. It makes no sense not to keep TT or Manuel. Though I would keep TT. You can't go into next year with just Cardale and some guy off the street or one of this years weak rookie QB's. No one would want this coaching job.

I also think future HC candidates are going to wonder whether it was Doug Whaley who leaked to the media and threw Rex under the bus.

I know I would want to know if the GM is going to throw me under the bus.

It's not going to matter, they are going to promote Lynn to HC. That is a lock.

I also think future HC candidates are going to wonder whether it was Doug Whaley who leaked to the media and threw Rex under the bus.

I worry that a lot of candidates are going to be scared away by this organization.

God help us. It's really hard to sell season tickets if we go into next season with Lynn and the same coaching staff.

It's important for Whaley to be able to hire a coach he actually wants, likes, and gets along with then, I suppose.

Plus, every bit of what happened behind the doors of OBD is speculation. The public has zero idea who screwed who and who leaked what.

I liked Whaley except for:

Presumably throwing Rex under bus with leaks and owners.

Revisionist history re whether he supported Rex hire.

Trading too much for Sammy.

We don't know he is the leak. That could be someone outside the building (i.e. agents, coaches looking for a job)

He is going to support the owners decision publicly even if he disagrees privately. You would expect him to

publicly disagree with a decision they just made?

Fair about trading too much for Sammy. I didn't have an issue with it, but I understand people who do.

Anthony is a man of character and has risen to the task.

Let's also not forget most here would not know anything about him but for Rex and many were questioning Rex's promotion of him.

Edited by Peter

Though I am not unhappy he is gone, I do feel a little bad that it happened this way.

Agreed. I was really hoping the Rex Ryan hire was going to work out. Hard to celebrate his termination. Who is going to want to coach here knowing how short the leash is with ownership? Keeping A. Lynn as HC better not be the plan by OBD.

I worry that a lot of candidates are going to be scared away by this organization.

God help us. It's really hard to sell season tickets if we go into next season with Lynn and the same coaching staff.

I never buy this. There are 32 of these jobs in the world

Anthony is a man of character and has risen to the task.

Let's also not forget most here would know anything about him but for Rex and many were questioning Rex's promotion of him.

How do we really know Lynn "is a man of character"? Do you know him? This guy was a RB coach 4 months ago! I think it's fair to say he was is/was an average OC. Hard to say what he is or isn't as there is a very small body of work. Now OBD is considering him the HC replacement!! LOL. Only the Buffalo Bills would do this. It's ridiculous.