Tyrod Taylor - pick up the option

• Replies 293
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Top Posters In This Topic

If another Bills fan tells me they shouldn't pay Tyrod $27 million I'm going to whack them. Its like they're actually writing the check and it's stressing them out. There has to be some sort of clinical term for this phenomena, but in case there isn't, here are few things to keep in mind to ease your stress:

1. Tyrod's base salary next year would only be $3M more than we paid him this year. He'd go from $9M to $12M. The remaining $15M is option bonus money and would be spread out over the length of the deal. So we add another $3M which puts his total cap hit is around $15M. This puts him in the lower half of the NFL qb cap hit, probably around 20th.

2. We aren't signing a franchise qb in the offseason. In case you haven't noticed, with the exception of the super rare Drew Brees scenario (the best F.A. signing of all time) or the rare Payton Manning/Brett Favre end of career moves, that just doesn't happen, and if it did, you'd very likely see them go to a larger market. So we either keep TT, draft a new qb, grab some backup guy or injury prone old timer off the waiver wire, or start Cardale Jones or EJ.

3. Our offense scores a lot of points with Tyrod in there, and that's with a coordinator change mid-season. We rank 6th overall in the NFL. More than Big Ben, Luck, Cousins, Rivers, Dak, Cam etc. OUR OFFENSE SCORES POINTS! At the end of the game, the points matter, there isn't a place on the scoreboard that shows the passing ranking of your qb. Plus it's fun to watch, which for me is equally important. So paying the guy who leads this 26ppg offense below average money is what Terry is going to do.

Don't worry it won't cost you a penny.

1. Telling us to just look at base salary is either intentionally misleading or incredibly stupid. It's $40.5M deal over 2 seasons.

2. I'm okay with moving on from any QB who clearly isn't the answer, especially at $20M+ a season. Taylor falls into that category. In the likely event that a potential FQB can't be signed in FA, then a similar talent at QB can be found more cheaply and a QB with potential can be drafted.

3. That is really a stretch. A quality QB would be helping this offense with a much better passing attack. Taylor does help a McCoy-led #1 ranked rushing attack, but his help in the passing game isn't up to par with what a quality playoff team needs. And his total contributions don't add up to what he is under contract for starting next season.

No, it's not my money, but there is a salary cap. Overpaying Taylor wastes money that could be better utilized elsewhere.

Another good point in article.

Assuming a $168,000,000 team salary cap in 2017, the Bills currently have an estimated $32M in cap space, with 36 players under contract, making cap space a bit of a concern, especially with a decimated secondary to rebuild.

This would change the parameters for sure. I'm assuming we are in reasonably good shape cap wise and could handle a 15m allocation for the qb. I suppose the other way is retain everyone within reason and go for a big name free agent or two in other areas of need.

Any good safeties or kickers hitting the market?

This would change the parameters for sure. I'm assuming we are in reasonably good shape cap wise and could handle a 15m allocation for the qb. I suppose the other way is retain everyone within reason and go for a big name free agent or two in other areas of need.

Any good safeties or kickers hitting the market?

Eric Berry, unless the Chiefs tag him again or reach a deal with him.

No one's saying to look at EVERY other team in the league and copy them... -Just the GOOD ones!

And why not?

What ignoramus would knowingly reject a great idea that wasn't copyright protected?!

We've been stuck behind NE because our front office, and sideline is NOWHERE NEAR as good as theirs... Point blank... As long as Belichick and Kraft are there, expect that to be the case...

Sad, that you propose waiting for Tom Brady's 64th B'day for us to finally worm our way into the playoffs... Just SAD!

That was not the nature of my post. What I posted was to be read as if you have 1 excellent team who is annually a top 3 team in the league, and who officially owns the division, the other teams under them will experience an inordinate churn in personnel and players, as new regimes take time to establish the change in culture, and accumulate wins to reinforce that they are on the right path.

By being in the same division as NE, we are almost always having 2 wins stacked on us as soon as the schedule is released, which undermines the culture change and impression of being on the "right path".

If you replaced NE with Indy twice per year, how many more wins would we have? I assume 1.2-1.5 more wins pee year, whigh over the last 4 seasons would put us at about 9-10, 10, 9-10, and 10 wins, which wins half of the divisions in any given year.

So if we have "won the division" 2 out of the last 4 years, how much call is to tear everything down, and rebuild it from the ground up? Likely none; the talk would be centered on finding that "final piece", that 2nd WR, Safety, 2nd TE, whatever, instead of contemplating which cotton candy vendor we should be switching to at New Era Field.

Having the pressure of the very successful team sitting on top of us, as NE is, causes us to be panicky and over-reactionary, and get rid of adequate players, or coaches, that could help us become a good team, but we end up throwing out with the bathwater because we want the sexy NE team, and we want it yesterday.

And this feeds right into NE's hands. Miami, NY, and Buffalo keep thinking their models are flawed, because the well oiled machine in NE bombs our airfield before we even get off the ground, and we keep tearing it down, and therefore helping them maintain their dominance.

No one's saying to look at EVERY other team in the league and copy them... -Just the GOOD ones!

And why not?

What ignoramus would knowingly reject a great idea that wasn't copyright protected?!

We've been stuck behind NE because our front office, and sideline is NOWHERE NEAR as good as theirs... Point blank... As long as Belichick and Kraft are there, expect that to be the case...

Sad, that you propose waiting for Tom Brady's 64th B'day for us to finally worm our way into the playoffs... Just SAD!

I'd chill out on the Patriot love, though. They have made exactly one great decision : drafting Tom Brady . The ultimate flyer in the sixth round so even they were throwing darts with the pick. The word was that BB was going to be fired if the Pats lost to the Jets on that fateful Sunday in 2001 . They missed the playoffs in 2000 and had just one win at the time. Then Mo Lewis changed the NFL landscape with a single hit. The Pats FO has had their share of hits and misses since, but a HOF QB can polish a lot of turds.

If another Bills fan tells me they shouldn't pay Tyrod $27 million I'm going to whack them. Its like they're actually writing the check and it's stressing them out. There has to be some sort of clinical term for this phenomena, but in case there isn't, here are few things to keep in mind to ease your stress:

1. Tyrod's base salary next year would only be $3M more than we paid him this year. He'd go from $9M to $12M. The remaining $15M is option bonus money and would be spread out over the length of the deal. So we add another $3M which puts his total cap hit is around $15M. This puts him in the lower half of the NFL qb cap hit, probably around 20th.

2. We aren't signing a franchise qb in the offseason. In case you haven't noticed, with the exception of the super rare Drew Brees scenario (the best F.A. signing of all time) or the rare Payton Manning/Brett Favre end of career moves, that just doesn't happen, and if it did, you'd very likely see them go to a larger market. So we either keep TT, draft a new qb, grab some backup guy or injury prone old timer off the waiver wire, or start Cardale Jones or EJ.

3. Our offense scores a lot of points with Tyrod in there, and that's with a coordinator change mid-season. We rank 6th overall in the NFL. More than Big Ben, Luck, Cousins, Rivers, Dak, Cam etc. OUR OFFENSE SCORES POINTS! At the end of the game, the points matter, there isn't a place on the scoreboard that shows the passing ranking of your qb. Plus it's fun to watch, which for me is equally important. So paying the guy who leads this 26ppg offense below average money is what Terry is going to do.

Taking it a little personal aren't you? take a pill and everything will be ok

They really shouldn't pay the guy.....seriously, they shouldn't.

All those who say do not pay him should be required to tell us who our QB will be next year. He's not a Franchise guy now, but probably in the neighborhood of the 20th +/- best QB, and I have no problem paying him that way. I hope he continues improving, that can actually happen. (I know, it's looked awful at times, but, hey, what the better option?)