Tyrod Taylor - pick up the option

• Replies 293
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Top Posters In This Topic

Guest K-GunJimKelly12

Thats all inaccurate

Here is the dead space after contract picked up.

Year Dead Cap Hit

2017 $33,603,334

2018 $17,690,000 (addt'l $9.75M kicks in on the 3rd league day)

2019 $10,660,000

2020 $6,880,000

2021 $3,100,000

http://www.spotrac.com/research/NFL/breaking-down-the-numbers-for-tyrod-taylors-option-619/

In that case, I think I let him walk.

Thats all inaccurate

Here is the dead space after contract picked up.

Year Dead Cap Hit

2017 $33,603,334

2018 $17,690,000 (addt'l $9.75M kicks in on the 3rd league day)

2019 $10,660,000

2020 $6,880,000

2021 $3,100,000

http://www.spotrac.c...ors-option-619/

In that case, I think I let him walk.

His salary cap is

2017 $15.9 million

2018 $16.8 million

2019 $17.4 million

2020 $17.6 million

2021 $17.7 million

Looking at his dead cap he is relatively cheap to cut after 3 years if you felt you had to.

But you have him at a very reasonable cap cost for 5 years. If you have a drafted QB that you are grooming, the timing should work out about right for that new QB to takeover for Tyrod (after 2 or 3 years).

Plus you would have the option of keeping Tyrod at backup at that point for reasonable numbers as well.

Don't forget, starting QB's are going to keep getting more expensive. Tyrod is not. He would only be expensive in cap numbers if you cut him within the first couple years.

But make no mistake, if they pick up his option, Tyrod is the starter here for at least the next couple years. And will probably remain on this team for longer than that as a backup if he wasn't starting.

Edited by PolishDave

You always have to ask yourself, if he's gone as we let him test the market, and it's higher than we want to pay, who replaces him and no silly answers like Romo, Rodgers and so on.

The likelihood of Washington letting Kirk Cousins go is nil. Better to keep Tyrod, and draft another QB next year. Not as common, but there are Dak Prescott's out there. We may not have to execute the third year and the three year cap hit is 20th in NFL QB's.

Continuity with Rex was foolish with so many blunders, but TT is the most talented QB since at least Flutie, but really Kelly. A top 5 defense with this pat scoring offense converts to an 11-5 record.

His salary cap is

2017 $15.9 million

2018 $16.8 million

2019 $17.4 million

2020 $17.6 million

2021 $17.7 million

Looking at his dead cap he is relatively cheap to cut after 3 years if you felt you had to.

But you have him at a very reasonable cap cost for 5 years. If you have a drafted QB that you are grooming, the timing should work out about right for that new QB to takeover for Tyrod (after 2 or 3 years).

Plus you would have the option of keeping Tyrod at backup at that point for reasonable numbers as well.

Don't forget, starting QB's are going to keep getting more expensive. Tyrod is not. He would only be expensive in cap numbers if you cut him within the first couple years.

But make no mistake, if they pick up his option, Tyrod is the starter here for at least the next couple years. And will probably remain on this team for longer than that as a backup if he wasn't starting.

Those caps way to high for a BU.

If the option is picked up he is the starter until they can financially move on which could be after 2018 but likely after 2019

Those caps way to high for a BU.

If the option is picked up he is the starter until they can financially move on which could be after 2018 but likely after 2019

Possibly. Depends on what caps are in 3 years and where the team is at. Even so, if he was starter material and so was your groomed guy you would likely part ways with Tyrod. Or else you would be making playoff runs with Tyrod year after year and happy to keep the other guy on the bench or deal him away.

Taylor is not a $20 million QB. This is why it was dumb for Bills to give him that contract. If he was walking into freeagency he would not get more than $15mil/yr, my guess is it would be closer to the $12-13 mil/yr. Until he can put up 4-5 300 yard games a year he is not worth it. He needs to win games like that Miami game, he was bad in OT. I would rip contract up, tell him no but say hit freeagency and we will put a offer in for 3 years 35 mil, that's it. He knows McCoy saved his job, not him. He knows Watkins saved his butt in Miami, weren't perfect throws. i would like to see Taylor have a chance, that said I am for going to get Foles and move on, he is better than Orton and we were 9-7 with him.

Edited by USABuffaloFan

You always have to ask yourself, if he's gone as we let him test the market, and it's higher than we want to pay, who replaces him and no silly answers like Romo, Rodgers and so on.

The likelihood of Washington letting Kirk Cousins go is nil. Better to keep Tyrod, and draft another QB next year. Not as common, but there are Dak Prescott's out there. We may not have to execute the third year and the three year cap hit is 20th in NFL QB's.

Continuity with Rex was foolish with so many blunders, but TT is the most talented QB since at least Flutie, but really Kelly. A top 5 defense with this pat scoring offense converts to an 11-5 record.

I agree 100 percent. Good post.

Taylor is not a $20 million QB. This is why it was dumb for Bills to give him that contract. If he was walking into freeagency he would not get more than $15mil/yr, my guess is it would be closer to the $12-13 mil/yr. Until he can put up 4-5 300 yard games a year he is not worth it. He needs to win games like that Miami game, he was bad in OT. I would rip contract up, tell him no but say hit freeagency and we will put a offer in for 3 years 35 mil, that's it. He knows McCoy saved his job, not him. He knows Watkins saved his butt in Miami, weren't perfect throws. i would like to see McCoy have a chance, that said I am for going to get Foles and move on, he is better than Orton and we were 9-7 with him.

these contracts are written under the presumption that the cap goes up over time. As it so happens, the cap is going up a lot next year. His contract is very reasonable.

I think it all depends on the coach which is why it is smart they haven't married themselves to Tyrod yet.

We would know more if this offense had been a more pass heavy offense and had its starting receivers healthy. That would have told us with much greater accuracy if Tyrod was good at that price or not.

Unfortunately in this run more than any other NFL team offense, we didn't get to see it. The Miami game looked promising but it was one game.

New coach will decide if Tyrod is good enough or not. So be it.

This could be a major point in recent Bills history if they sign him and it doesn't pan out or if they let him go and he takes the next team deep in the playoffs. Big decision that will solidify coach and GM or get them fired in 2 years.

A different spin says a top half passing attack with this defense gets an 11-5 record.

Just because TT may have been the best here since Flutie doesn't mean he is a good QB. He's just the best of a bad bunch.

I don't think it would be difficult at all to improve the passing attack with a different QB.

This historic rushing attack should have made things so easy for Tyrod to get massive amount of yards and points yet it was so painful to watch the passing offense struggle so mightily week in and week out, then watch the All 22 each week have WR running free EVERYWHERE all game. Any QB who can read a defense would have flourished on this team this year and Buffalo had the one guy who couldn't. Go figure, he was Rex hand picked guy, did Rex do anything right?

I think it all depends on the coach which is why it is smart they haven't married themselves to Tyrod yet.

We would know more if this offense had been a more pass heavy offense and had its starting receivers healthy. That would have told us with much greater accuracy if Tyrod was good at that price or not.

Unfortunately in this run more than any other NFL team offense, we didn't get to see it. The Miami game looked promising but it was one game.

New coach will decide if Tyrod is good enough or not. So be it.

This could be a major point in recent Bills history if they sign him and it doesn't pan out or if they let him go and he takes the next team deep in the playoffs. Big decision that will solidify coach and GM or get them fired in 2 years.

Very difficult decision for the Bills.

i sure he they let him get pass happy against the Jets.

If he plays poorly it give the Bills a smidgen of leverage and keep drafting, if he plays you just give him the contract and keep drafting.

and all that needs to be decided before March. So the new HC needs to be named by March.

Oh lordy the life of a Bills fan is quite an excursion

A different spin says a top half passing attack with this defense gets an 11-5 record.

Just because TT may have been the best here since Flutie doesn't mean he is a good QB. He's just the best of a bad bunch.

I don't think it would be difficult at all to improve the passing attack with a different QB.

This historic rushing attack should have made things so easy for Tyrod to get massive amount of yards and points yet it was so painful to watch the passing offense struggle so mightily week in and week out, then watch the All 22 each week have WR running free EVERYWHERE all game. Any QB who can read a defense would have flourished on this team this year and Buffalo had the one guy who couldn't. Go figure, he was Rex hand picked guy, did Rex do anything right?

I would just like to remind folks.

On the bye week i watched the Steelers. Ben was not throwing to what seemed wide open Recs all game. Ben of all people.

And Tyrod for better or worse IS the best QB we have fielded in years.. and do not pull stats about Snortin' Orton.

Get one better in hand before Bills decide to let him walk please

THis really does not have to be a black and white answer......

They should keep TT

AND

THey should draft a QB

Is there any doubt that Tyrod had some regression in his game this year? I am a card carrying member of the COT and I say he regressed this year......still the head of a snake that was 7th in scoring points in the NFL.....a league low in turning the ball over........his receivers barely played together......

but

Why not hedge your bet? Draft a kid with potential.

Very sound reasoning and I agree. Wish we had adopted the idea of routinely drafting a QB.

Lets sit down and think this through for a few seconds. With Tyrod, the Bills rank #7 in the NFL in touchdowns per game (3rd in AFC); #6 in the NFL in points per play (#2 in AFC); #5 in Red Zone TD % (#2 in AFC); #7 overall in points scored per game (3rd in AFC); #4 in NFL QB Rating in the Red Zone.

Where is the improvement going to come? in between the 20's? That's the only possibly place this offense can improve with a "better passing attack". At what expense? At the detriment of the running game? Why? Why even go there? How many teams move the ball up and down the 20's passing it and then can't punch it into the end zone once they get to the red zone? Is a better passing attack going to make us #1 in every statistical category I listed? B/c that's the territory this offense would have to approach to be considered effective around here apparently, just look at the numbers up there. The Patriots have scored a whopping 1 Point more than the BILLS since week 2. ONE MORE POINT since week 2.

So to be clear, this team would've gone 11-5 with a better passing game this year - how? Break that down to me. Would they have ranked #1 in scoring? Overtaken the Falcons? Who knew that in 2015 when Rex took over we had so much talent on this offense, that we'd be talking about the Bills offense having to approach NFL leading numbers on offense in order to be considered good. Players like Groy, Mills, Powell, Tate, Goodwin, Harvin, Hunter, Salas, Mike G, Reggie Bush, they're the stars in this high-powered offense. TT is just going along for the ride apparently. Or maybe I missed it and Shady had a 2,000yd rushing season with 20TD's.

Edited by bobobonators

You exaggerate your description of how the plays unfolded by claiming that each week the WR's were running free EVERYWHERE all game. That is as inaccurate as it gets.

I challenge you to go look at the run pass balance the Bills employed this year compared to the rest of the NFL. What you will discover will surprise you and make you rethink your position about how Tyrod stacks up against other QB's.

In order for you to have a massive amount of yards (as you say) you have to have at least an average number of passes per game. The Bills aren't anywhere close to that. Go check it out.

Because QB is the most important position the logical thing to do is attack that spot till it is proven to be fixed.

1. Pick up the option on Tyrod

2. Go get best available FA maybe Mike Glennon type.

3. Cut EJ and play Cardell this week.

4. Draft a propect every year till something hits.

Until you have a QB you have nothing in this league. So do it all till problem solved then focus on the rest. So do it all.

I'm sure Tyrod is feeling pretty excited about being a Bill right about now.

If I were him I would try to grease the skids for the team NOT picking up the option at this point. He's getting paid somewhere next season to start. Have you seen some of the QBs starting games in the NFL?

He should. Tampering

A Top 5 passing attack combined with this rushing attack would have obliterated NFL offense records. People have lost their minds. Taylor is a very good young quarterback who played in a run-first system. And that run-first system worked and he was a big part of it. Was he perfect throwing the ball this year? No. There was a lot of factors that contributed, but in the end he finished 17th in the NFL in passer rating after finishing 8th a year ago. That's far from terrible.

I would put the odds of finding an upgrade over Taylor in one offseason at about 5%. If the Pegula's and Whaley are willing to gamble with those odds then good luck - I'm not going to support it by renewing my season tickets.

Edited by Wayne Arnold