Trump foreign policy

More sources/confirmation: https://www.reuters.com/article/us-iraq-security-blast-soleimani/irans-soleimani-and-iraqs-muhandis-killed-in-air-strike-militia-spokesman-idUSKBN1Z201C

... Media already trying to spin this as a possible "Archduke Ferdinand" moment. That's... extreme.

... And this: 

Lots happening all at once in Iraq tonight.

• Like (+1) 1

And the hits keep coming...

Iran-backed terrorist-turned-politician leads demonstration against US Embassy in Iraq

-------------------------

Given the level of escalation, I can't help wondering if it was known, to all involved in this decision, that Soleimani was in one of the vehicles. Really hoping this isn't a Neocon victory right now...

• Like (+1) 2
  • Thank you (+1) 1

6 minutes ago, Deranged Rhino said:

More sources/confirmation: https://www.reuters.com/article/us-iraq-security-blast-soleimani/irans-soleimani-and-iraqs-muhandis-killed-in-air-strike-militia-spokesman-idUSKBN1Z201C

... Media already trying to spin this as a possible "Archduke Ferdinand" moment. That's... extreme.

As is CNN. 

1 minute ago, Deranged Rhino said:

Sit down, Chris. Let the adults handle it.

Chris, did you forget the sweeping powers Congress abdicated to Executive in the GWOT?  You had 18 years to address it.

• Thank you (+1) 2

1 minute ago, Deranged Rhino said:

Hearing from people who'd know that this was definitely done with full knowledge and understanding of who was in the vehicle. Also being told confidence is high that this can be tied off without more... we'll see on that one.

We certainly live in interesting times where sensitive timelines are measured by POTUS twitter activity.

• Like (+1) 3

2 minutes ago, Deranged Rhino said:

No more than we've always been. 

The chicken littles in the media and the war-establishment will try to push it there -- but there won't be an invasion of Iran.

All of our troops out there are on high alert.

Have we ever reached that stage out there?

The establishment media is going to have a field day with this. They’ve been waiting for this moment for years. The moment they can position Trump as an unhinged, war monger. 

• Like (+1) 2

Just now, njbuff said:

All of our troops out there are on high alert.

Have we ever reached that stage out there?

Yup. 

The Mullahs will have to try to respond -- but we're about to see the fruits of what has been going on for the past three years with little to no media coverage: they've been gutted by the US/GCC and its allies in multiple theaters. Their reach is limited, and their response will be the same. 

• Thank you (+1) 1

No more than we've always been. 

The chicken littles in the media and the war-establishment will try to push it there -- but there won't be an invasion of Iran.

Let’s hope so.  I don’t trust the war mongers one $&#@ing bit, and am so frigging tired of sending American men and women to fight, live, die and/or returned maimed only to see the winds of political change shift and their sacrifice be for naught.  

• Like (+1) 6

1 minute ago, dubs said:

The establishment media is going to have a field day with this. They’ve been waiting for this moment for years. The moment they can position Trump as an unhinged, war monger. 

True -- though he's only that if there are troops marching across borders (or sustained airstrikes). I don't think this goes there for the reasons stated in my last post. 

(But it's early days)

• Like (+1) 5

True -- though he's only that if there are troops marching across borders (or sustained airstrikes). I don't think this goes there for the reasons stated in my last post. 

(But it's early days)

I think/hope you are correct about what happens. I think the reality on the ground differs greatly from how things will be positioned by the media and the progressive left.  They will continue to push the narrative that trump is an unhinged lunatic who needs psychiatric care and is terrifying to have as president. especially in an election year!

• Thank you (+1) 1

6 minutes ago, Gary Busey said:

I don't think it's a good idea for anyone in the admin to be gloating about this yet publicly.

Who's gloating?

American interests need to be protected, period.

It not a matter of right, left, center........................... US citizens come first for us. Case closed.

• Like (+1) 2

8 minutes ago, Deranged Rhino said:

That is a very, very serious escalation.

And probably a counter-productive one - the IRGC is more than robust enough to recover from the assassination of their head.  This is a symbolic gesture that leaves them intact, operationally undegraded, and angry.

• Like (+1) 1

4 minutes ago, njbuff said:

Who's gloating?

American interests need to be protected, period.

It not a matter of right, left, center........................... US citizens come first for us. Case closed.

Nobody yet. I'm simply saying I don't think it's a good idea. You're right - US citizens come first - especially the ones in uniform in the middle east right now. 

4 minutes ago, DC Tom said:

That is a very, very serious escalation.

And probably a counter-productive one - the IRGC is more than robust enough to recover from the assassination of their head.  This is a symbolic gesture that leaves them intact, operationally undegraded, and angry.

good... that will make killing the rest of them that much more enjoyable....