Scathing Review of Doug Whaley - Buffalo News

This is an example of a broken clock being correct twice a day. In this instance, Sullen is partially correct, but his motivation is BS.

He is correct that Rex has shown a lot of class and dignity.

He is correct that ownership should have squelched this story - in fact, it should have done so within minutes of La Canfora's hit piece.

He is correct that Rex should not have been allowed to twist in the wind while others seem to be hiding.

On the other hand, I think that Sullen is making these points mostly as a result of his overarching animosity toward the Pegulas (which he gives away in the article). He and his buddy Bucky really like to grind their axes with them.

Regarding Whaley, I can understand why he has no interest in accepting an interview request with Sullen etc. when they already have made up their minds and drafted (in their minds) their articles criticizing him.

That is not to say that Whaley is beyond criticism. Moreover, if any of these reports are true and if they are coming from him or people under him, he has to go. I do not like a GM or others under him trying to anonymously throw the head coach under the bus - at any time and especially when it happened.

Edited by Peter

• Replies 116
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Top Posters In This Topic

That a GM doesn't speak to anyone besides the radio station that carries his team's games speaks volumes.

Yeah, I'd definitely love speaking to guys who are trying to make me lose jobs.

What a bunch of female dogs sports "journalists " have turned into. So desperate to be part of the story.

I'm as critical of the Bills' front office as anyone these days, but Sully is a joke. The Pegulas are amateurs because they don't go running around making statements to the local media about everyone's job security? I think they're smart for not speaking out before the season is over.

Is there a requirement that the GM speak to the media? This is just Sully getting his nose out of joint because he doesn't like that the Pegulas have shut him out.

This says nothing of the job I think Whaley or Rex are doing; it's simply my opinion with respect to Sully.

You see what's happening here, right? The local media -- while enjoying bashing the Bills -- realize that if Rex is fired, they're screwed.

You see what's happening here, right? The local media -- while enjoying bashing the Bills -- realize that if Rex is fired, they're screwed.

The local media (or at least many of them) really are shortsighted.

IF it is true about Whaley not getting along with Marrone and Rex, then there is a simple solution: Act like every other team in the NFL and let your GM hire, and be accountable for, the HC.

Then Whaley has all the motivation needed to make sure that coach succeeds since the coach's failure will be seen as the GM's failure too.

As it stands, Whaley is his own rogue entity fighting against the HC over who gets to keep their job.

That is the mess the Pegulas have made. Fix the structure first and foremost.

If that's the case they should get along well with Doug.

My comment was not a Rex v. Doug comment.

It was more about how the media hated Marrone (and not without some reason) and now (unfairly in my judgment) is attacking Rex - a guy who, not only has shown a lot of class and dignity in dealing with them, but makes their jobs a lot easier because of his personality.

Just my two cents.

Edited by Peter

Just my opinion, but I honestly believe there is a good possibility that all this is really fabricated by the media. In the past, I really believed that RW allowed public opinion to influence his decisions. He always had to market the team and try to meet the demands of the customer. Its easy to stir up the mob when the team has been this bad, for this long. I wish I could be at the game to watch the pregame to see the interaction between Coach, GM and Owners. That would tell me everything I need to know. I found this quote interesting. "Maybe that's the grand plan here, to make Rex a sympathetic figure in case the Bills finish 9-7. Then they can go status quo and tell everyone it was the media's fault." almost sounds like the media is already making excuses if it was all fabricated. Time will tell.

Agreed, but whether fabricated or not, why should Whaley, Pegula or anyone in the organization feel compelled to react to it. If it's BS, the administration knows it and just feeds into it by commenting. Sullivan is pissed because the team won't play along in his game, and if they don't, they must be hiding something.

I think Buffalo sports fans are so frustrated and bitter that they want to take all the years of losing out on Whaley and Rex, when the team is actually headed in the right direction finally.

Wait...what?

Headed in the right direction? Which direction is that?

This is an example of a broken clock being correct twice a day. In this instance, Sullen is partially correct, but his motivation is BS.

He is correct that Rex has shown a lot of class and dignity.

He is correct that ownership should have squelched this story - in fact, it should have done so within minutes of La Canfora's hit piece.

He is correct that Rex should not have been allowed to twist in the wind while others seem to be hiding.

On the other hand, I think that Sullen is making these points mostly as a result of his overarching animosity toward the Pegulas (which he gives away in the article). He and his buddy Bucky really like to grind their axes with them.

Regarding Whaley, I can understand why he has no interest in accepting an interview request with Sullen etc. when they already have made up their minds and drafted (in their minds) their articles criticizing him.

That is not to say that Whaley is beyond criticism. Moreover, if any of these reports are true and if they are coming from him or people under him, he has to go. I do not like a GM or others under him trying to anonymously throw the head coach under the bus - at any time and especially when it happened.

But sullivan still wouldn't have believed the Pegulas. Sullivan hasn't earned the right to get what he wants from the organization.

It also appears that Sullivan thinks trading Matt Cassell was a mistake. Is he even on a roster now?

In a way, its sad to see the decline of local sportswriters, but its the way its going. They dont serve a purpose anymore, so they try to garner as many clicks as they can and cause as much controversy to make them seem relevant.

Sully would probably be better off if he transitioned to a hardline restaurant critic or something a little more modern than a newspaper columnist.

But sullivan still wouldn't have believed the Pegulas. Sullivan hasn't earned the right to get what he wants from the organization.

It also appears that Sullivan thinks trading Matt Cassell was a mistake. Is he even on a roster now?

Sullen certainly likes to carry a grudge. He even mentioned Tim Connolly who last played for the Sabres in 2011.

Bitches B word....it's what they do. BTW, Cassel backs up Mariota in Tennessee.

I think Sully's argument holds up.

Rex is becoming a sympathetic figure as he consistently stands there and takes bullets from all sides while holding his temper in check. That makes him look good, especially considering the team is performing literally exactly at Vegas's expectations despite a long list of injuries and all the rest.

I think he's frustrated with a lack of access, as is evident by all the examples set forth in the article. It makes Whaley look bad if he's unwilling to answer for the team's failures. Shouldn't the team address sourced leaks now 3 weeks running since the first "Rex is gonna get fired" story broke by a national reporter?

The leaks make the whole organization look bad, and the management should deal with that. Not even a press release since the first leak is a bad sign. It makes them look culpable, guilty. Until Whaley addresses those concerns in a fair way not on "Western New York's sports leader," he's guilty as charged.

Rex is becoming a sympathetic figure as he consistently stands there and takes bullets from all sides while holding his temper in check. That makes him look good, especially considering the team is performing literally exactly at Vegas's expectations despite a long list of injuries and all the rest.

I think he's frustrated with a lack of access, as is evident by all the examples set forth in the article. It makes Whaley look bad if he's unwilling to answer for the team's failures. Shouldn't the team address sourced leaks now 3 weeks running since the first "Rex is gonna get fired" story broke by a national reporter?

The leaks make the whole organization look bad, and the management should deal with that. Not even a press release since the first leak is a bad sign. It makes them look culpable, guilty. Until Whaley addresses those concerns in a fair way not on "Western New York's sports leader," he's guilty as charged.

Agreed. good post

I don't think it's necessary to react to press reports, especially about coaching status, since this is a yearly occurrence in the NFL and with the Bills. It just feeds the beast. It's always wise to ignore Sullivan.

Why should Whaley or anyone else at OBD respond to every stinking rumor and crusty column from TBN? They have no obligation to do so IMO.

Sully comes off as a little beatch, per usual. But he's got a point, Whaley should have to meet the press more often than his weekly radio hit.

Why should Whaley or anyone else at OBD respond to every stinking rumor and crusty column from TBN? They have no obligation to do so IMO.

You're 100% correct. But proactive statements can often eliminate the need for reactive press conferences or team statements.