Gus Bradley Fired from Jags, Obviously -Marrone interimHC

Beef Jerky

If we fire Rex, maybe Gus Bradley could be an option to come in as DC?

I know that team in Seattle was VERY talented when he was there, and remained very talented after he left, so maybe that somewhat shows that it wasn't exactly his doing that made them good, so someone who knows how to evaluate these things could clarify better if he really is a skilled defensive mind, but I think it would be a valid option.

Maybe a guy like A. Lynn could come in as HC, and just handle the offensive side of the ball, with a known commodity on the defensive side to not overwhelm the young new HC?

I don't hate the idea of Lynn being HC, as long as we do something aggressive like bringing in Romo, drafting or signing a Legit #2WR, throwing another 3rd or 4th rounder at a QB, and a high pick on safety. Those moves would really have me excited for 2017.

I wouldn't hate it, but honestly I think Seattle is mostly Pete Carroll and a ton of talent.

I thought their defense would suffer when Bradley left. It didn't. I figures it would suffer when Quinn left. It didn't.

Coaching matters, but if you have a ton of talent it takes care of a lot.

• Replies 108
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Top Posters In This Topic

I can't help of think of The Office when Dwight would refer to himself as "Assistant Regional Manager" only to be corrected by Michael that he was "Assistant to the Regional Manager."

Doug Marrone: I'm proud to be the new head coach of the Jaguars!

Khan: Interim head coach, Doug.

Reading that twitter message from the teams GM it looks like St Doug will get a full-time shot as HC no matter what the team does the next two games.

I wouldn't hate it, but honestly I think Seattle is mostly Pete Carroll and a ton of talent.

I thought their defense would suffer when Bradley left. It didn't. I figures it would suffer when Quinn left. It didn't.

Coaching matters, but if you have a ton of talent it takes care of a lot.

There is no question that is Pete Carrolls defense and his scheme in Seattle. He looks for a particular type of player in the draft and then molds them to his system. Interesting to note that Carroll got his start in the NFL as the Buffalo Bills DB's coach way back when...1984 at the age of 33.

Still, Bradly was the Seahawks DC under Carroll for four years and that Jags secondary is a lot like the Seahawks secondary. Their D-line only rushed four and they were very aggressive, quick in getting to the QB when they played Buffalo.

Reading that twitter message from the teams GM it looks like St Doug will get a full-time shot as HC no matter what the team does the next two games.

http://www.rotoworld.com/player/nfl/8368/doug-marrone

Jaguars interim coach Doug Marrone is a candidate for the permanent job.
"Experience is critical," GM Dave Caldwell said on Monday. Marrone sort of has it after two years in Buffalo, the second of which featured him quitting on the team in January. Marrone undoubtedly desperately wants the gig. He's been reduced to offensive line coaching work since misjudging his market in 2015. Marrone would be a neither great nor awful hire.

Jags have a good defense. With a good OC as head coach I think they are pretty close to turning it around. The need someone to salvage Bortles like what Gase has done with Tannehill in Miami

So the exact opposite of Marrone? And Bortles was always overrated. He is EJ with a better agent.

For me it was how he quit. He should have told his players in person. That's why I don't care for the guy.

My issue with him was that his purported strength, the OL and grinding it out football was terrible when he was here. Maybe we didn't exactly have his type of players when he was here, to execute his schemes, but the players who regressed under him have since returned to form, or improved.

Despite that, we still had a competitive team... as many have attributed, thanks inordinately to Schwartz' strong (not "great") defense.

Pete Prisco Verified account ‏@PriscoCBS

I have as much chance as Doug Marrone of being the Jaguars head coach next season

Jason Cole ‏@JasonColeBR 3m3 minutes ago

Odd because Marrone is high on the list of a lot of other executives around the league:

This reminds me that we are approaching the season when various sports writers do the bidding of Jimmy Sexton and Doug Marrone.

@AlbertBreer

Jaguars GM Dave Caldwell said that Tom Coughlin and Doug Marrone will be HC candidates. Not sure either fits what the team needs now.

Worth noting: Josh McDaniels and Dave Caldwell were college teammates at John Carroll. Caldwell worked in Pats' scouting system in Atlanta.

Jags job is attractive -- solid ownership, young core to work with, well-respected GM. Million-$$$ question: What do you think of Bortles?