La Canfora on FAN 590: Bills Situation "Toxic"

Doutz

His track record regarding the Bills isn't exactly great. Reading between the lines I would assume the leak isn't an internal issue but rather from someone with outside ties to the organization i.e., agent of a player / coach. That's the way PR works these days.

• Replies 399
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Top Posters In This Topic

1- Russ still has influence on WHO the Bills hire as GM / HC. The fact we haven't had one successful GM or HC over those 17 years, doesn't he deserve some of the blame for giving bad advice ?

Absolutely. If you don't think that Whaley has done a good enough job, that's on Russ. 100%. Myself, I'm on the fence right now.

2- There is general consensus that selecting a QB is an organizational decision. I think there were several threads about the Manuel pick being one that was made collectively by the FO. Setting aside EJ, doesn't Russ deserve blame for the state of that position over the past 17 years ? The choice to select the ones we selected, but more importantly the choice to NOT select one for so many years ?

That's a really tough question to answer (which means it's a good one--well done). On one hand, I do think that--organizationally--the ideology should be that QB is the highest priority. That said, I also believe very strongly that someone in Russ's position should allow the personnel people to do their jobs. If forced to say one way or another, I would like to think that he'd pick his GM on the basis of a team-building philosophy that places the utmost importance on finding a QB.

3- Culture. I've said this before, the culture of this organization is set at the top. The top was Russ for many years. The culture is way too accepting of mediocrity, that bleeds across all parts of the organization.

Agreed 100%. I think the decision to promote Whaley was an attempt to have their "welcome to today's NFL" moment--it hasn't exactly worked thus far.

Jason La Confora was on Toronto sports radio station FAN 590 this morning discussing how toxic things are at OBD. Apparently he has more behind the scenes "buffoonery" to share which will be reported at a later time. Should be interesting how things play out over next few weeks.

Summary:

- Pegula's have wrong people advising them with own personal interests at stake. Needs more outside voices

- Polian was extremely close to coming in and blowing things up

- Shocked there isn't more talk about Whaley being fired

- Lynn and Cardale were in line to take over after Steelers game but sounds like divide among FO to fire Rex (Whaley apparently wanted Rex out)

Have a listen at the link below (begins at the 10:25 mark to about 17:05)

http://feedproxy.google.com/~r/SN590/DeanBlundellAndCompany/~3/to4kXU4YJFk/db_20161216_090540--Dean-Blundell-and-Company---December-16---8am.mp3

You lost me at Jason LaConforta. He's a tool. My guess is that it's all hearsay and BS as most of his reports are.

Everyone should read this for two reasons: 1) it shows that negative views of La Canfora's credibility extend beyond Western NY, and 2) it might just point to the source of La Canfora's rumor mongering. Someone wants back in, it appears, either here or elsewhere. http://www.windycitygridiron.com/2016/12/11/13912566/la-canfora-bill-polian-return-to-nfl-with-chicago-bears-ryan-pace-tedd-phillips-george-mccaskey

Lacanfora has a source somewhere at OBD based on all the leaks he's shared the past few years. Don't know what that source's motive is or how credible but I don't immediately dismiss it.

He had "toxic" reports a couple years ago out of Cleveland that lots of people wanted to dismiss and they ended up to be true.

Also none of what he said would be shocking - except for the Cardale part unless Whaley was straight up lying on the radio this morning.

He has a source but when has he been right on Buffalo? Honest question - I do not recall an instance where he was right. He definitely has a source with an agenda inside. I hope Terry finds out who it is and fires him.

Jason La Confora was on Toronto sports radio station FAN 590 this morning discussing how toxic things are at OBD. Apparently he has more behind the scenes "buffoonery" to share which will be reported at a later time. Should be interesting how things play out over next few weeks.

Summary:

- Pegula's have wrong people advising them with own personal interests at stake. Needs more outside voices

- Polian was extremely close to coming in and blowing things up

- Shocked there isn't more talk about Whaley being fired

- Lynn and Cardale were in line to take over after Steelers game but sounds like divide among FO to fire Rex (Whaley apparently wanted Rex out)

Have a listen at the link below (begins at the 10:25 mark to about 17:05)

http://feedproxy.google.com/~r/SN590/DeanBlundellAndCompany/~3/to4kXU4YJFk/db_20161216_090540--Dean-Blundell-and-Company---December-16---8am.mp3

Great find; thanks for posting.

Of course the source has to be considered but as others have said, too much smoke to be no fire.

The thing speaks for itself.

17 years with no playoffs; Pegula relying on Bills insiders with vested interests and conflicts of interest providing his primary feedback and counsel; no objective outsiders bought in that we know of; rumors from multiple outlets that Rex is on shaky ground, no clear vertical chain of command within organization; many cooks in the kitchen...

Why in the world would ANYONE suggest dysfunction, right???

:lol:

Dave, what exactly are you saying? That Polian's team is feeding these reports to create an opportunity? Didn't Polian already refute the Bears report earlier this week?

Absolutely. If you don't think that Whaley has done a good enough job, that's on Russ. 100%. Myself, I'm on the fence right now.

That's a really tough question to answer (which means it's a good one--well done). On one hand, I do think that--organizationally--the ideology should be that QB is the highest priority. That said, I also believe very strongly that someone in Russ's position should allow the personnel people to do their jobs. If forced to say one way or another, I would like to think that he'd pick his GM on the basis of a team-building philosophy that places the utmost importance on finding a QB.

Agreed 100%. I think the decision to promote Whaley was an attempt to have their "welcome to today's NFL" moment--it hasn't exactly worked thus far.

Thanks.

I'm coming at this in those 3 buckets: 1- advice, 2-QB strategy and 3- Culture

I think Bills need as you said "a team building philosophy" that accurately places the QB position as essential, a culture that doesn't accept mediocrity from anyone in the organization regardless of your role.

Dave, what exactly are you saying? That Polian's team is feeding these reports to create an opportunity? Didn't Polian already refute the Bears report earlier this week?

No, I'm suggesting that Polian is one of his sources. Polian doesn't think much of Whaley or Rex from what I understand, and he's not ready to step away from the politics of the NFL. And he has opinions about Buffalo. And he's both a hothead and an intriguer. Whether he wants in with the Bears or Bills or whoever isn't really material to the issue. I'm sorry I wasn't clearer.

No, I'm suggesting that Polian is one of his sources. Polian doesn't think much of Whaley or Rex from what I understand, and he's not ready to step away from the politics of the NFL. And he has opinions about Buffalo. And he's both a hothead and an intriguer. Whether he wants in with the Bears or Bills or whoever isn't really material to the issue. I'm sorry I wasn't clearer.

If Polian is his "source" lacanfora is a clown.

Would think not as the first comment, someone putting self interests could be about Brandon.

I wonder if Brandon is his source...

It could be the cab driver?? Isn't Berman retiring year end, so now the cab driver is giving the info to LaCanfora??

There has been a leak to LaCanfora for years, before Whaley. He seems to always have a juicy rumor every couple years about the Bills.

Edited by Ed_Formerly_of_Roch