La Canfora on FAN 590: Bills Situation "Toxic"

Doutz

• Replies 399
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Top Posters In This Topic

Then it's not totally unconnected.

The rumors flying out why Marrone left read that he felt he was being sabotaged by Whaley. The current spate of rumors point to Whaley or Brandon.

The same palace intrigue and dominions that built up during Wilson's reign are still there, except that the team now has an open check book.

drain the swamp

:lol: Oh here we go down that rabbit hole. Maybe you were in a coma for most of the 2010's. Trust me. The Bills leaving was considered a done deal by every member of the media. Only a guy nutty enough to overpay for the team by $600 million kept them here.

Maybe the Sabres are a good reference here. He did give Darcy and Lindy a chance to right the ship before blowing it up.

Well he bought a Bills team that was 9-7. Most people would consider that a team that was close. So I don't think keeping Marrone on board was the wrong move. Of course St. Doug's power play led to hiring Rex which we are seeing now wasn't the smartest move.

But the Bills at .500 don't scream tank. That's my take on Terry & Kim.

You mean the same media you accuse of fear mongering and writing stuff for clicks almost daily? Yes, but now they were all right on the money.

The Pegulas forced out Marrone, decided to hire Rex who dismantled the only good thing Buddy and Whaley put together over 4 years. And the team hasn't recovered to a over .500 level yet. The defense hasn't even been above average yet.

:lol: Oh here we go down that rabbit hole. Maybe you were in a coma for most of the 2010's. Trust me. The Bills leaving was considered a done deal by every member of the media. Only a guy nutty enough to overpay for the team by $600 million kept them here.

Maybe the Sabres are a good reference here. He did give Darcy and Lindy a chance to right the ship before blowing it up.

Well he bought a Bills team that was 9-7. Most people would consider that a team that was close. So I don't think keeping Marrone on board was the wrong move. Of course St. Doug's power play led to hiring Rex which we are seeing now wasn't the smartest move.

But the Bills at .500 don't scream tank. That's my take on Terry & Kim.

This isn't accurate, but even if it was, doesn't make it true that they were leaving. The Toronto move was the only remotely credible threat and it turns out that the report that the Toronto group was moving them was not made by anyone in that group. And they denied it.

Let it go. It wasn't going to happen--you don't have to pretend anymore. Yell at us about something new.

Edited by Mr. WEO

I think you're simplifying it a bit. This seems to be a typical battle between a coach and a GM, with the team President lurking in the background. And each of them have staff that's loyal to them and not to the coach. These leaks to the media are totally evocative of the Donahoe days when Bills would start feeding information to the media in advance of a big player hitting free agency. Suddenly, the story went, the guy lost a step here or there or had trouble picking up his coverage. Sounds like the same pattern to me, despite all the new blood at OBD.

If I'm Pegula, I'm livid that somebody from my staff is having these types of discussions with national rumor mongers.

I'm simplifying because it isn't complicated. I agree with what you said in that there is an additional similarity in terms of power struggles between a gm and coach. I'm only objecting to the suggestion, not by you, that Brandon is the reason two coaches resigned 10 years apart. That is just a lazy, uninformed claim. Especially given the circumstances in '06.

And your point about Pegula is spot on. I get the impression he won't tolerate it any longer. Major changes coming as a result I'm sure.

Not if they win their last 3 games against the bottom of the barrel.(outside of Miami of course)

The old meaningless wins to save face routine. It's the Buffalo way.

Things seem different this year. He is really pissed about the leaks. I think it's playoffs or bust. A 9-7 record won't fool any one.

Do we fire a 9-7 coach?

Great (hypothetical) question.

I'd say yes, if we don't make the playoffs and no if we do.

I get that most (myself included) want Rex gone, but I think he gets a stay of execution if we miraculously make the playoffs. And as much as I agree that making the playoffs would be a step backwards, I want it anyway. In the same vein, firing a coach before you're eliminated from the post season makes no sense at all to me.

Things seem different this year. He is really pissed about the leaks. I think it's playoffs or bust. A 9-7 record won't fool any one.

If there are leaks . . . who do you think is doing the "leaking"?

That is where I would direct my anger.