La Canfora on FAN 590: Bills Situation "Toxic"

Doutz

You found a life raft.

Just stating the same people were around for two incidents is not enough for me. Conspiracy theorists maybe, but not me.

Every team has the same resources (shared revenue) and restrictions (salary cap).

No they do not, Some revenue is not shared league wide.

• Replies 399
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Top Posters In This Topic

Just stating the same people were around for two incidents is not enough for me. Conspiracy theorists maybe, but not me.

What about the reports of resistance from the "youth movement" of Whaley and Marrone? They were getting stonewalled by their lifers trying to improve the team.

It doesn't matter--the shared revenue is greater than the salary cap.

What are the "greater resources" that Pegula has? The salary cap is what is it is and the Bills were spending before he owned them.

Malarkey was forced out by Levy who basically stripped Mularkey of any say a HC might have in coordinators and other coaching hires on the D side. The reports of being "shocked" were nothing more than damage control.

Marrone simply gambled and lost. Afterward, he had a three day window to take advantage of a rare clause and took it. Screwed most of his other coaches in the process, but hey, the prospect of $4m for doing nothing is hard to pass up I guess.

http://www.espn.com/nfl/news/story?id=2291078

Wilson said Mularkey expressed concern about Bills fans who criticized him last year.
Sources said that, while family considerations played a large role in Mularkey's decision, his views on the future of the franchise were also a significant factor.

http://www.espn.com/nfl/story/_/id/13978933/how-doug-marrone-went-buffalo-bills-coach-jacksonville-jaguars-offensive-line-coach

The obvious guess is that Marrone, weary of constant criticism and unsure about his new bosses, took advantage of an uncommon clause in his contract

You don't understand signing bonuses in the NFL.

A signing bonus isn't off the books....and it doesn't come from Daddy Warbuck's back pocket.

You can pro rate it, but that just pushes it to another year's cap. Then dead money when he's gone.

Entirely unconnected, but, you know, Brandon was here in 2006, so it makes for more big marching band music.

Then it's not totally unconnected.

The rumors flying out why Marrone left read that he felt he was being sabotaged by Whaley. The current spate of rumors point to Whaley or Brandon.

The same palace intrigue and dominions that built up during Wilson's reign are still there, except that the team now has an open check book.

The rumors flying out why Marrone left read that he felt he was being sabotaged by Whaley. The current spate of rumors point to Whaley or Brandon.

The same palace intrigue and dominions that built up during Wilson's reign are still there, except that the team now has an open check book.

It's unconnected if you want to replace fact-checked reporting by "bad, terrible reporters" with on-line rumors that support your original position more conveniently.

The consistent picture, and we will see how Pegula decides to run things—it is too early to say in my opinion, is of an organization that is built upon appeasement and placating its fans to the point that it will throw coaches under the bus rather than support them. It's a picture that not only former coaches have presented, but former GMs, and Presidents.

The missing piece is obvious. Winning. If this organization had the ability to put together a winner on the field, then neither the scapegoats nor those doing the scapegoating have to expend so much energy on defending or scapegoating.

Is everyone the Bills hire on the football side "thin skinned"? Is that a box on the application form?

I'm sure the stresses of the job played a part, too. That goes with the territory. Mularkey's wife never like WNY, anyway.

I'll stick to what I know to be true as well. And those facts made Malarkey's decision that much easier. He was neutered by Marv Levy.

If you wish to connect Mularkey and Marrone be my guest. The only common denominator is that Brandon was around for both, although not nearly in the position of power and influence he rose to post Marv.

It could be the cab driver?? Isn't Berman retiring year end, so now the cab driver is giving the info to LaCanfora??

Ralph Wilson was the cab driver. I do not think his spirit is giving out leaks.

Joke franchise is a joke. Nothing to see here.

Sure you can apply to be mascot then; being a bad joke definitely applies here.

I want them all gone, nothing but a big cancer in this organization.

Probably playoffs.

How by supplying amphetamines and other illegal drugs to team? That is your specialty, correct?

He just might be making it up, all of it. It doesn't take "insider knowledge" to just look at the Bills situation and say, "Rex is on the hot seat." And a few minutes reading at TSW would give him "insider" info galore about the "toxic internal situation." Who's going to demand he reveal his "sources"? So he's free to make up whatever he wants and claim it's from an "insider."

Corrected. There a lot of examples showing media making up stories to generate hits, attention, etc.

There's a reason Polian's tenures have always ended in a less than pleasant manner.

He likes to insult owner's daughter?

You hit this head on. It's what's been going on for years at One Bills Drive. This franchise never seriously goes after a top football coach because none of them would ever want to work with the current structure. And in fact, we've had two head coaches voluntarily quit. What other franchise has this happen?

I do not not - how many franchises had head coach with out with pay clause in contract if owner died?

That is special circumstances like the special, short yellow bus you rode on.

A signing bonus isn't off the books....and it doesn't come from Daddy Warbuck's back pocket.

You can pro rate it, but that just pushes it to another year's cap. Then dead money when he's gone.

I think what he actually means (and maybe doesn't understand) is that contract guarantees have to be funded up front. The implication would be pegs can afford to do that while Ralph wouldn't.

I don't believe Ralph was cash poor though.

I think what he actually means (and maybe doesn't understand) is that contract guarantees have to be funded up front. The implication would be pegs can afford to do that while Ralph wouldn't.

I don't believe Ralph was cash poor though.

I'm talking exactly about cash on hand to pay bonuses. If that's my point, why wouldn't I understand it? Of course, they are spread out over the life of the contract. Not sure why he was trying to explain what I already knew. Ralph most certainly did not have the cash resources of the Pegulas.

I'm talking exactly about cash on hand to pay bonuses. If that's my point, why wouldn't I understand it? Of course, they are spread out over the life of the contract. Not sure why he was trying to explain what I already knew. Ralph most certainly did not have the cash resources of the Pegulas.

I guess the retort would be that your point doesn't show understanding of funding a deal unless the NFL changed the process recently and I missed it

Cash to fund signing bonuses was never an issue then and as tom would say you are an idiot. That's only a fraction of funding a new contract when it's signed.

Cash to fund guarantees on a 100m deal are a different beast though. Pegula might have more money but just like you are demanding proof from others on their claims I'd likewise like to see that Ralph was too cash poor to be an effective owner.

Edited by NoSaint

Cash to fund signing bonuses were never an issue then and as tom would say you are an idiot. That's only a fraction of funding a new contract when it's signed.

Cash to fund guarantees on a 100m deal are a different beast though. Pegula might have more money but just like you are demanding proof from others on their claims I'd likewise like to see that Ralph was too cash poor to be an effective owner.

Idiot? Okay. The guaranteed money is what matters. Anything else is agent PR and player bragging rights until the next guy leap frogs that deal. Look in the mirror.

Idiot? Okay. The guaranteed money is what matters. Anything else is agent PR and player bragging rights until the next guy leap frogs that deal. Look in the mirror.

You are arguing about signing bonus. I'll use the dareus deal as an example but feel free to sub the concepts for mario (a Ralph signing).

Dareus got a 25m signing bonus. Hefty, sure. I'm saying pegs had to put the full $60m aside up front for the guarantees. That's more than double your discussion in previous posts.

Unfortunately what you haven't discussed is why Ralph couldn't afford to sign that as you point towards as an old issue. Mario did have less guaranteed up front (but did get some more guaranteed along the way) so maybe that's an issue, but as you would say- prove it to me.

Edited by NoSaint

I'm sure the stresses of the job played a part, too. That goes with the territory. Mularkey's wife never like WNY, anyway.

I'll stick to what I know to be true as well. And those facts made Malarkey's decision that much easier. He was neutered by Marv Levy.

If you wish to connect Mularkey and Marrone be my guest. The only common denominator is that Brandon was around for both, although not nearly in the position of power and influence he rose to post Marv.

I don't think it's limited to the guys in charge. It's about the entire organization and who's vying for power. The sense I get is that Wilson's football operation wasn't a well run machine, and that allowed fiefdoms to grow within OBD. Just because the head guys changed doesn't mean that the way the team was run has changed. Have the Pegulas turned the entire operation over, like they eventually did with the Sabres? The answer is a resounding no.

So, yes, I am equating the Mularkey & Marrone departures, because there's a good chance the place is still rife with the old power struggles.

Edited by GG