La Canfora on FAN 590: Bills Situation "Toxic"

Doutz

• Replies 399
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Top Posters In This Topic

Then why do you keep asking what Ralph's "P and L statement" was? Your response to NoSaint makes no sense at all.

As for the all cash payment by Pegula, do you have a link? There aren't many savvy business men who would pay all cash on such a huge purchase when borrowed cash is cheap and NFL teams have a large margin every year.

But even if he has no debt--it changes nothing. The money to pay signing bonuses is already there. Pegula doesn't have to shell out. There's over 100 million a year in revenue beyond the cap every year (minus some pretty modest operating expenses and salaries) for him to wonder how to spend.

http://www.tennessean.com/story/sports/nfl/future-of-the-bills/2014/09/16/terry-pegula-buffalo-bills-cash-sale/15714123/

So did anyone actually listen to the audio of the interview?

http://www.newyorkupstate.com/buffalo-bills/index.ssf/2016/12/buffalo_bills_have.html#incart_river_index

Here are the highlights:

"They basically got the owner's mind made up that we can't go through with this again in 2017," La Canfora said in regards to retaining Rex Ryan. "If the GM and other executives in that building got their way, this change would have been made after the Pittsburgh game. They wanted Anthony Lynn to take over and then give Cardale Jones a shot. Look at their final three games. If they were to go 2-1 down the stretch or win all three which wouldn't be out of the question regardless, then it could be problem solved. They've got a coach there who's not gonna give them a lot of push back and brush back. A guy who would be happy to do the job. A guy who they could probably control to a certain degree, actually control to a large degree. And then, 'Away we go, nothing to see here. We've got the talent. We were just held back by coaching.'"

"If Pegula had the right sort of connections around the league, if he knew who to talk to, if there were outside voices he could really trust, I have no doubt that they would say, 'You've got to start completely over, buddy. You gotta gut that thing and move forward with a completely different cast and characters in terms of personnel and coaching.'..."If Pegula was talking to the right people outside of that building," La Canfora said, "I think he would be looking to detonate the entire thing. Who he mostly talks to though are Doug (Whaley) and Russ (Brandon) and people who are in that inner core who have a vested stake in staying there and having it remain as close to status quo as possible."

So did anyone actually listen to the audio of the interview?

http://www.newyorkupstate.com/buffalo-bills/index.ssf/2016/12/buffalo_bills_have.html#incart_river_index

Here are the highlights:

"They basically got the owner's mind made up that we can't go through with this again in 2017," La Canfora said in regards to retaining Rex Ryan. "If the GM and other executives in that building got their way, this change would have been made after the Pittsburgh game. They wanted Anthony Lynn to take over and then give Cardale Jones a shot. Look at their final three games. If they were to go 2-1 down the stretch or win all three which wouldn't be out of the question regardless, then it could be problem solved. They've got a coach there who's not gonna give them a lot of push back and brush back. A guy who would be happy to do the job. A guy who they could probably control to a certain degree, actually control to a large degree. And then, 'Away we go, nothing to see here. We've got the talent. We were just held back by coaching.'"

"If Pegula had the right sort of connections around the league, if he knew who to talk to, if there were outside voices he could really trust, I have no doubt that they would say, 'You've got to start completely over, buddy. You gotta gut that thing and move forward with a completely different cast and characters in terms of personnel and coaching.'..."If Pegula was talking to the right people outside of that building," La Canfora said, "I think he would be looking to detonate the entire thing. Who he mostly talks to though are Doug (Whaley) and Russ (Brandon) and people who are in that inner core who have a vested stake in staying there and having it remain as close to status quo as possible."

From my recollection, the Bills' talent is pretty well regarded around the league to the contrary of what LaConjecture is intimating.

From my recollection, the Bills' talent is pretty well regarded around the league to the contrary of what LaConjecture is intimating.

It's easier to just post this, but it really isn't anything special...

Evan Gibson asks: I understand all the talk about Rex and Tyrod being cut loose, but how in the world does Doug Whaley get a pass? Why do you believe he's safe in all this?

Sully: I've had several emails from people saying the media has been too soft on Whaley. I've called him stubborn and reckless. I said he allowed his defense to regress while fawning over EJ Manuel. I've said more than once that he should be fired for the Sammy Watkins trade alone.

But the Pegulas, who need to believe in someone, think otherwise. Presumably, Whaley is on solid ground with ownership, maybe because he's so good at schmoozing them in public settings. Whaley has a roster that's top-heavy in overpaid players, lacking in depth, and short on value picks from his drafts.

I can't think of a single Whaley draft pick who has outperformed his draft position. Ronald Darby, perhaps, but he regressed in his second season.

You can credit Whaley for some decent free-agent pickups, like Zach Brown, Lorenzo Alexander and Mike Gillislee. But the defense has been a disaster in its last five losses, so how great do those defensive pickups seem now? And there's nothing easier to find these days than a serviceable backup running back.

It's not as if Whaley has been a disaster, but he has been no better at his job than Ryan. He has been at odds with two coaches (Ryan and Doug Marrone) in his three full years as GM. His team is bound to get worse before it gets better. He won't be the Pegulas' Golden Boy for long.

This was the first year Bills got real national recognition. Granted it was the 1st half of the season. But the talent on the team was being discussed

It's easier to just post this, but it really isn't anything special...

Evan Gibson asks: I understand all the talk about Rex and Tyrod being cut loose, but how in the world does Doug Whaley get a pass? Why do you believe he's safe in all this?

Sully: I've had several emails from people saying the media has been too soft on Whaley. I've called him stubborn and reckless. I said he allowed his defense to regress while fawning over EJ Manuel. I've said more than once that he should be fired for the Sammy Watkins trade alone.

But the Pegulas, who need to believe in someone, think otherwise. Presumably, Whaley is on solid ground with ownership, maybe because he's so good at schmoozing them in public settings. Whaley has a roster that's top-heavy in overpaid players, lacking in depth, and short on value picks from his drafts.

I can't think of a single Whaley draft pick who has outperformed his draft position. Ronald Darby, perhaps, but he regressed in his second season.

You can credit Whaley for some decent free-agent pickups, like Zach Brown, Lorenzo Alexander and Mike Gillislee. But the defense has been a disaster in its last five losses, so how great do those defensive pickups seem now? And there's nothing easier to find these days than a serviceable backup running back.

It's not as if Whaley has been a disaster, but he has been no better at his job than Ryan. He has been at odds with two coaches (Ryan and Doug Marrone) in his three full years as GM. His team is bound to get worse before it gets better. He won't be the Pegulas' Golden Boy for long.

Sully's assessment of football talent.....meh

This was the first year Bills got real national recognition. Granted it was the 1st half of the season. But the talent on the team was being discussed

My recollection as well.

less mistakes than the Pegulas made, don't worry you will love him as president.

Doubt it. He's a long time clown who happens to be a great bull **** artist.

Sully's assessment of football talent.....meh

So what exactly do you disagree with? It is pretty hard to argue against any of what he said. You can also add in that we didn't have to give shady more money, we did; we ignored safety and WR entirely this offseason. We signed Charles Clay to a large contract for honestly no reason whatsoever. Yeah the coaching hasn't been great, but at the same token - this is a 9-7 to 7-9 roster....

We spend in the top 5 of the league the past 5 years and it has not been all on coaching....

So what exactly do you disagree with? It is pretty hard to argue against any of what he said. You can also add in that we didn't have to give shady more money, we did; we ignored safety and WR entirely this offseason. We signed Charles Clay to a large contract for honestly no reason whatsoever. Yeah the coaching hasn't been great, but at the same token - this is a 9-7 to 7-9 roster....

We spend in the top 5 of the league the past 5 years and it has not been all on coaching....

I have no problem with the Shady contract. He deserves it. They did not ignore S or WR. They instead banked on Aaron Williams staying healthy and signed Blanton/Colt Anderson. None of those worked out unfortunately. I wanted them to draft a WR earlier than Listenbee. They were unfortunately decimated there too. Clay would be more effective with a QB who uses the middle of the field. Lots of good players on the team but they need a QB.

I have no problem with the Shady contract. He deserves it. They did not ignore S or WR. They instead banked on Aaron Williams staying healthy and signed Blanton/Colt Anderson. None of those worked out unfortunately. I wanted them to draft a WR earlier than Listenbee. They were unfortunately decimated there too. Clay would be more effective with a QB who uses the middle of the field. Lots of good players on the team but they need a QB.

By ignoring TE annually in the draft, they had to pay B-list TE Clay A list money.

Typical.