La Canfora on FAN 590: Bills Situation "Toxic"

Doutz

• Replies 399
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Top Posters In This Topic

Does it matter? Doesn't that speak more loudly when mediocre coaches decide to walk away and take demotions?

Yes.

But remember everything is different now. Mularkey walked away when Ralph had Brandon and the cronies running the ship, and Marrone walked away when Pegs had Brandon and the cronies running the ship. It's night and day.

Does it matter? Doesn't that speak more loudly when mediocre coaches decide to walk away and take demotions?

Except in Marrone's case, I think he less "decided" to take a demotion that had it forced upon him. He appeared to think he could get another head coaching gig, then was surprised he didn't and desperate for any position he could get

Except in Marrone's case, I think he less "decided" to take a demotion that had it forced upon him. He appeared to think he could get another head coaching gig, then was surprised he didn't and desperate for any position he could get

Even so, he walked away from the Bills HC job in particular--knowing he didn't have a HC job waiting elsewhere. Whatever he thought of his chances elsewhere, he didn't want to keep the HC he already had.

If there is a connection, then go ahead and lay out what it is other than lifers.

I get why Mularkey left and I don't defend the 2004 OBD operation.

I think part of the issue in this discussion is that those two goons probably had experiences that were potentially similar but with Rex there have been changes with regards to no Ralph no littman... but who knows how much the old voices echo through the halls (Russ and overdorf, how much Whaley became part etc....).

Mularkey and Marrone. Not exactly two stellar coaches.

Malarkey was forced out by Levy who basically stripped Mularkey of any say a HC might have in coordinators and other coaching hires on the D side. The reports of being "shocked" were nothing more than damage control.

Marrone simply gambled and lost. Afterward, he had a three day window to take advantage of a rare clause and took it. Screwed most of his other coaches in the process, but hey, the prospect of $4m for doing nothing is hard to pass up I guess.

Even so, he walked away from the Bills HC job in particular--knowing he didn't have a HC job waiting elsewhere. Whatever he thought of his chances elsewhere, he didn't want to keep the HC he already had.

Marrone had an opportunity to see what new ownership was going to do from the inside. He had his 3 day opt-out window and pulled the eject lever. That's irrefutable regardless of anyone's beliefs and emotions.

The idea that Marrone walked away because of the culture, and the people that make up that culture, is plausible. More plausible than the argument: "He's just a ninny."

It means the team has been willing to spend more resources in order retain its own players under the Pegulas.

This has nothing to due with the Pegulas and began a few years earlier--in 2011 with the new CBA.

Bills have been in the top 7 in salary spending since 2013, actually.

Not that spending means much. Top 5 includes Eagles and Dolphins. Bottom 5 includes NE...

Malarkey was forced out by Levy who basically stripped Mularkey of any say a HC might have in coordinators and other coaching hires on the D side. The reports of being "shocked" were nothing more than damage control.

Marrone simply gambled and lost. Afterward, he had a three day window to take advantage of a rare clause and took it. Screwed most of his other coaches in the process, but hey, the prospect of $4m for doing nothing is hard to pass up I guess.

Sounds like two unconnected scenarios to me.

This has nothing to due with the Pegulas and began a few years earlier--in 2011 with the new CBA.

Bills have been in the top 7 in salary spending since 2013, actually.

Not that spending means much. Top 5 includes Eagles and Dolphins. Bottom 5 includes NE...

It has quite a bit to do with greater available resources that can be paid in signing bonuses.