Is 10-6 But Missing Playoffs a Success or Failure?

Beating Pittsburgh and Miami, two winning teams in the playoff hunt would be a success. Beating the Browns, and avenging the loss to the Jets aren't important wins, but would get us to 8 wins. For us to even consider retaining Tyrod I feel he must beat Pittsburgh and Miami, or play like he did against Seattle and the first quarter versus Oakland.

Is finishing 10-6 but missing the playoffs a success or failure for the season?

...On one hand it shows progress at least on paper but it also means most likely status quo for next season.

Success. No doubt. 6 - 1 after the bye? Are you kidding? Solid progress and validates the schemes. Marks TT as a winner after only his first season as the clear starter. Won all the games they should have and a couple they shouldn't , with one of the heaviest injury loads in the league concentrated at the position the pass-happy NFL rules favor the most. Anyone who thinks 10-6 isn't success in today's super balanced NFL needs to get their head examined.

Haters gonna hate no matter what, so Rex haters will hate 10-6, 16-0 or 0-16. They just want Tom Landry and Roger Staubach. League doesn't work that way anymore.

Edited by 8and8-->NoMore

It's a solid point you make, and 10-6 is nothing disreputable. But on paper I feel like it looks better than it is. IMO that's a pretty weak 10 in W column. We've had solid wins this year over weaker teams, and some well fought games - but overall I can't say I've ever once watched this team this year with confidence. Never did I turn on the TV/Computer not saying, "okay, will the whole team show up today?"; "who's injured?"; "defense played lights out last game so they're due for another inconsistent performance." You honestly don't know what team will play each week. That lack of consistency would make this a very weak 10-6 season.

I guess to end the ramble would be this - it's easy to look at the culminating W-L record of 10-6 and say that it was a good season. But the journey to that number tells all. What teams did you beat and how? Which teams did you lose to and how? Fact of the matter is this team is ways off from performing like a playoff team.

It's a solid point you make, and 10-6 is nothing disreputable. But on paper I feel like it looks better than it is. IMO that's a pretty weak 10 in W column. We've had solid wins this year over weaker teams, and some well fought games - but overall I can't say I've ever once watched this team this year with confidence. Never did I turn on the TV/Computer not saying, "okay, will the whole team show up today?"; "who's injured?"; "defense played lights out last game so they're due for another inconsistent performance." You honestly don't know what team will play each week. That lack of consistency would make this a very weak 10-6 season.

I guess to end the ramble would be this - it's easy to look at the culminating W-L record of 10-6 and say that it was a good season. But the journey to that number tells all. What teams did you beat and how? Which teams did you lose to and how? Fact of the matter is this team is ways off from performing like a playoff team.

as the Hoodie says, " you are what your record says you are"

Depends on how the team plays. If the Steelers come in (with their suspect D) and Ben has a terrible game, and we run to win (like we were in Oakland), it's not that impressive given the need for a QB. It also depends on whether the Steelers and/or Miami go on to make the Playoffs. Having a bunch of wins over non-playoff teams is not much progress, IMO.

Is finishing 10-6 but missing the playoffs a success or failure for the season?

...On one hand it shows progress at least on paper but it also means most likely status quo for next season.

Yes it would be a success...one it would be the best record we have had in years. Two, it means we won out which also would show how important Sammy was to have on the field further illustrating the struggles without him at WR (because no way we win out without Sammy making an impact IMO).

Absolutely! Perhaps we are conditioned for low expectations, but how many times in this franchise's history have they had three non-losing seasons in a row?

I can think of (i) 1963-66; (ii) did we have a winning season in '76? if so, 1974-76? (iii) 1980-82; (iv) 1988-1996. I am doing this from memory, so I may not be exactly right. But by Bills standards 9-7, 8-8 and 10-6 would be a period of epic prosperity! We have only had three non-losing seasons in row three or four times in 56 years. I have watched 51 of those years - those that have become fans during the playoff drought have not lived how truly dreadful our Bills can be. Most of these teams have been fairly competitive. At least I feel this front office is trying to win and has some clue on how to do it. I don't see a need to tear it down. Keep Rex, renew Tyrod and draft a QB. Keep developing Cardale and the draft choice and see what happens with Tyrod. He is an unusual talent and a hard worker - perhaps his passing improves. The one thing I have not liked though is his lack of accuracy at key points in the last two.