Sous Vide - Virgin Journey Today! Advice?

plenzmd1

19 minutes ago, The Poojer said:

I don't want to start a separate thread nor do i want to take away from this, but if you haven't gotten yourself an airfryer, i highly suggest you do so immediately.  It must have been designed and manufactured by wizards and witches because it is soooooo simple and the food comes out nearly perfect.

get out of this thread with silly airfryer stuff and drink a beer already! To many kitchen gadgets as it is..next thing i want is an instant pot. 

1 week drink-free, i've even gone to my beer store to stare the temptation in it's face and passed with flying colors, so far!

17 minutes ago, plenzmd1 said:

get out of this thread with silly airfryer stuff and drink a beer already! To many kitchen gadgets as it is..next thing i want is an instant pot. 

• Like (+1) 1

14 hours ago, plenzmd1 said:

Made a smoked chuck roast this weekend that maybe was the best brisket I have ever done.

Started with a chuck under blade roast on sale at Kroger for $2.77/ib. The recipe I used for inspiration called for a chuck roll roast, but I have never seen that and this is what the Kroger frequently has on sale.

kosher salt and fresh ground pepper both sides, then vacuum seal and let sit for 3 hours in the fridge

30 hours in Sous Vide at 135..think could do anywhere from 24-48hrs

Collect drippings, fridge overnight for the roast.

3 hours of hickory smoke on Egg at 240.

Rest 30 minutes, cut against the grain of both muscles

Freakin awesome as is..but added this sauce

https://www.thespruceeats.com/central-texas-barbecue-dip-334293

Add pickled onions which I always have in the fridge.

https://www.epicurious.com/recipes/food/views/pickled-red-onion-382883

I make the onions and just use a used mayonnaise jar to keep them in the fridge for up to a month. Awesome on so many things.

Put the 3 ingredients on a hamburger bun, and I was in freaking heaven!!! So much easier, cheaper, and  moister than any brisket I have ever made. 

The sous vide makes all this work!!!!

Interesting.  What was the final temp of your roast?  I would think it could be improved by smoking first then SV to temp so you can get that smoke ring and land at a final temp around 195 without guess work. 

Also, chuck roast isn't brisket.

3 hours ago, Jauronimo said:

Interesting.  What was the final temp of your roast?  I would think it could be improved by smoking first then SV to temp so you can get that smoke ring and land at a final temp around 195 without guess work. 

Also, chuck roast isn't brisket.

never even worried about the final temp..cooked through and all the collagen turned into gelatin in the water bath. So no worries about breaking through the stall and getting to what most briskets nerds would tell optimal final temp of 203. BTW, smoke ring is just a chemical reaction, adds zero flavor, and is one of the great myths of Q! Can always add some curing salt to the salt and pepper rub if you desire a big smoke ring. This had a small smoke ring to it after the 3 hours...but most important all the great smoke taste.

https://amazingribs.com/more-technique-and-science/more-cooking-science/mythbusting-smoke-ring-no-smoke-necessary

And of course chuck roast is not brisket..i was trying to be clever! Using this method, you would think you are eating brisket without the expense of buying a full packer  or having to spend 14 hours tending a smoker!

Edited by plenzmd1

1 hour ago, eball said:

@plenzmd1 going to try this "brisket" recipe this weekend.  Found a nice tangy apple coleslaw recipe that looks good here as well.

HA!!!my favorite website!!!!. That's actually where the recipe came from, but I read the comments first and made some modifications. Look up sous vide smoked chuck roast on there.

So many people I guess take the salt and pepper amounts as gospel, I always just salt and pepper as I see fit. I also did not reseason after the water bath.

He has it at 155, i did 134. 

He also adds a dollop of liquid smoke to the bag if you were going to finish in the oven.

Last thing was he smoked at 275-300, I was maintaining 230-240.

BTW, I do think that getting that sucker completely cool is really key to the recipe..as is making sure you slice against the grain.

One last thing, i opened the bag and drained the juices when I took out of the bath, then put the roast in fridge overnight. But i wonder if keeping it wet would have attracted more of the smoke ...hmm. Like golf, Q is never perfect!!!!

Edited by plenzmd1

Sous vide "brisket" meal was a success!  Everything came together beautifully into a perfect sandwich.  The brisket, tangy cole slaw, pickled red onions, amazing sauce, and brioche buns.  Grilled some corn on the cob alongside as well.  Can't wait for my leftover sandwich today!

Check out the "bark" I got on this sucker!

IMG_0588.jpg

1 hour ago, eball said:

Sous vide "brisket" meal was a success!  Everything came together beautifully into a perfect sandwich.  The brisket, tangy cole slaw, pickled red onions, amazing sauce, and brioche buns.  Grilled some corn on the cob alongside as well.  Can't wait for my leftover sandwich today!

IMG_0588.jpg

That looks freakin awesome! @Augiedone on the gas grill! How did you do the smoke?

1 hour ago, plenzmd1 said:

That looks freakin awesome! @Augiedone on the gas grill! How did you do the smoke?

My big Weber gas grill has a smoking basket at one end with a dedicated burner underneath.  Basically that's the only burner I had on...had to keep adding chips but over the course of 3 hours had a pretty steady smoke going.

4 hours ago, eball said:

IMG_0588.jpg

Did you save any for us?

• 7 months later...
On 12/4/2016 at 8:15 AM, plenzmd1 said:

Also, if you all have any favorite recipes be great if you could share here...

Take that cut of meat, combine with a small sack of coal that has been partially pulverized into dust.  Allow to marinate in a mix of vinegar and 7 year old’s tears for another 15-20 years.  Remove the meat.  You’re ready to dine, and to ponder why the retirement home your child chose for you is dark, dank, and smells of urine.

Now, back to rereading ‘A Christmas Carol’.  I’m at the part where the ghost of Christmas Future shows up...

• Haha (+1) 2

Did an eye round roast at 134° for 30 hours.  It came out perfectly done.  Hardest part was monitoring the water level, but I was using a SS 20 qt pot.  I'll probably get a smallish cooler to use to avoid evaporation and heat loss.  Also had chicken breast last night at lower internal temperature than we're all used to, but it was pasturized so it was safe, but the texture at those temps take a little getting used to

• Like (+1) 2

Son works at a restaurant that uses these, got me hooked on the Anova.

i use metal binder clips to secure the bags to the pot.  I use a basic food saver vacuum sealer, usually gets all the air out so it works perfectly.  A nice feature of the unit is if you have a wet product you are sealing (like a marinated meat), hit vacuum until you see liquid creep up the bag and then hit the seal button; helps keep from sucking liquid into the sealer.  Problem is, will leave a little air in and cause floating.  I just use a large metal spoon and place it over the bag in the bath, works perfectly to keep submerged.

I’ve cooked sausage, beef roast, pork roast, steaks, chicken, burgers and chicken wings.  All come out great.

The beef roast comes about great at 131 to 134 for 24-30 hours.  Garlic, fresh thyme and rosemary sprigs (careful not to overdue, really permeates the meat).  I usually get a 5 pound piece, cut in half and pan sear prior to vacuum.  Use fresh or freeze, comes out awesome.  Pink throughout and super tender.

Chicken does have a different texture, but remember as long as you use the proper temp, it’s pasteurized and isn’t raw.  I guess I’m just too used to over cooked chicken.  Comes out great.  Use John Henry’s Tammy’s Herbsl Rub.

https://www.johnhenrysfoodproducts.com/product/tammys-herbal-rub-12-oz/

Chickn wings are great in the SV.  About 8 plain wings per bag.  140 for an hour.  Bring them to games and grill them.  Get them browned, then sauce and grill again.  Once that sauce is carmalized, sauce and grill again.  Amazing!  Use a 1:1 rmix of Guys Asian barbecue and Wok sauce and Anchor Bar hot wing sauce, great flavor.  Sounds weird, but is really good.

Also do burgers for games.  Cuts down on cooking time and come out juicy.

I recently took a food safety class to get certified for serving food to the public. 

Here’s a good site that gives a lot of good info about sous vide and the basic science of the oogies that are harmful and how to handle food to avoid them. 

Ive done a fair amount of sous vide cooking and it’s a great technique. 

http://www.douglasbaldwin.com/sous-vide.html

On 12/25/2018 at 5:51 PM, The Poojer said:

Did an eye round roast at 134° for 30 hours.  It came out perfectly done.  Hardest part was monitoring the water level, but I was using a SS 20 qt pot.  I'll probably get a smallish cooler to use to avoid evaporation and heat loss.  Also had chicken breast last night at lower internal temperature than we're all used to, but it was pasturized so it was safe, but the texture at those temps take a little getting used to

I gave it my all, but the wife took her salmon to the cooktop and burned the begeezus out of it. I tried to enjoy it, but it was difficult in the face of such negativity. 

Edited by Augie