CFB Playoff Rankings

26CornerBlitz

Correct. I think it should be based on the results on the field, not the subjective view of who the four 'best' teams might be. A team that wasn't good enough to win it's own conference isn't deserving.

What if Bama loses it conference championship game by a point because their QB was out with food poisoning?

What if undefeated OSU loses an OT conference championship game to a two loss team on the last play because of a blown call?

There's just no real advantage to having the criteria be so rigid that you can't allow for circumstances.

And what's the point of having a huge Michigan-OSU or Alabama-LSU game in late November if both are going to be put in the playoff anyway?

Because chances are one of those teams is probably going to need a win to get in. And if they both happen to be undefeated then the point is to see undefeated rivals go at it regardless of seeding or standings.

I think college should be different than how it works with the pros.

Of course it should be different; conference and schedule strength make it an entirely different scenario.

The pros automatically put their division winners in the postseason; there's no reason for colleges to do that too.

Edited by Simon

• Replies 150
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Top Posters In This Topic

If they determined a non-power 5 champ or an Independent was one of the four most deserving teams (obviously not the case this year). Of course there is still going to be some subjectivity in the process but you remove a lot of it if you say only conference champs (or an Independent) are eligible.

Then why wouldn't everyone want to be an independent? It's a much easier road if that's the case. As an example of ND had the EXACT same resume as OSU this year they'd be a lock. That's the point.

What if Bama loses it conference championship game by a point because their QB was out with food poisoning?

What if undefeated OSU loses an OT conference championship game to a two loss team on the last play because of a blown call?

There's just no real advantage to having the criteria be so rigid that you can't allow for circumstances.

Because chances are one of those teams is probably going to need a win to get in. And if they both happen to be undefeated then the point is to see undefeated rivals go at it regardless of seeding or standings.

Of course it should be different; conference and schedule strength make it an entirely different scenario.

The pros automatically put their division winners in the postseason; there's no reason for colleges to do that too.

yep, no auto-bids in cfb. Season long resume scrutinized from all angles.

Well, they've proven that giving yourself an easy schedule or winning your conference means nothing. Good job guys.

With how Penn St has been playing and as good as Michigan is, I don't see these as the best 4 teams.

Ultimately, they need a 6-8 team playoff

theozone.net

Urban's first grandchild is named Troy. Touching tribute to his first natty

Oh snap that's not right Yolo

name him falcon. If not for the falcons he would have never been able to take flight. He was allowed the freedom to develop his own system and shape what became of his Utah future then Florida. He's been fun to follow and I've never met a man who didn't have his charisma and intensity combined with the actual ability to snake oil you before coming off sleezy

Well, they've proven that giving yourself an easy schedule or winning your conference means nothing. Good job guys.

With how Penn St has been playing and as good as Michigan is, I don't see these as the best 4 teams.

FBS is more crooked than FIFA or the IOC. Ultimately it's about money, not who's best

The committee got it right IMO. 4 teams in the power 5 had 1 loss or less. That's whose playing..,

So you apparently don't care that the Pac10 is hot garbage. Ok

Washington had an easy OOC schedule but only 1 loss to a good team and a conf championship. OSU had 1 loss to the #5 team on the road at night by 3... and their strength of record showed it was 5x harder to get to 11-1 with their schedule than it was for PSU to get to 11-2 with their schedule. The committee didn't think PSU was better because of all of the factors involved. Michigan lost 2 of their last 3 with a terrible loss to Iowa (who had 4 losses and got beat by FCS North Dakota state).

As I described earlier, SOS and conf championships only come into play as tiebreakers. They didn't need any tiebreakers.

Edited by YoloinOhio

Washington had an easy OOC schedule but only 1 loss to a good team and a conf championship. OSU had 1 loss to the #5 team on the road at night by 3... and their strength of record showed it was 5x harder to get to 11-1 with their schedule than it was for PSU to get to 11-2 with their schedule. The committee didn't think PSU was better because of all of the factors involved. Michigan lost 2 of their last 3 with a terrible loss to Iowa...

Look for Washington to lose by 40. But hey at least the granola eaters out west won't be whining about east coast bias :lol:

Washington had an easy OOC schedule but only 1 loss to a good team and a conf championship.

Which was also the only good team they had on their schedule.

Alabama might beat them by 5 touchdowns

Look for Washington to lose by 40. But hey at least the granola eaters out west won't be whining about east coast bias :lol:

i think Sparty's performance last year in the playoffs burned the committee on letting in a conference champ that beat OSU head to head but may not have been the better team when it comes to matching up with the other conferences. They put them in and they got brutally exposed. They know that OSU team would have competed with Bama last year with all those NFL guys. Whether they can this year is another story... very young team, not sure they can get past Clemson but they earned the spot with the other wins they have this season.

Yep as much as I despise Alabama I'm rooting for them to smoke that **** team and toll over the suckeyes

Don't worry, I'm thinking Clemson will smoke OSU. Barrett is awful, and Clemson scores points. My last question is why do we play conference championship games if they only matter when you lose? Still such a flawed system. Edited by DriveFor1Outta5

I don't love it but I think that they certainly have a case.

I don't think they do, but hey that's the foolishness we have to deal with in FBS

Don't worry, I'm thinking Clemson will smoke OSU. Barrett is awful, and Clemson scores points. My last question is why do we play conference championship games if they only matter when you lose? Still such a flawed system.

$$$$$$$$$

The only team I like is any team playing Bama. I can't stand them. I think Michigan had the best chance at beating them, based off how they play. Two bad throws by their QB against Ohio State killed their chances.

Honestly, I think Oklahoma had a legit argument to get in as well.

I just don't know what it says when you are Penn State when you win arguably the best conference and Ohio State and are left out. They would be the #2 in the BCS, but isn't the point of all of this to get away from that?

I just wish there was a clear understanding of what gets you in the playoffs and that didn't dimish conference play or the regular season setup.

The only team I like is any team playing Bama. I can't stand them. I think Michigan had the best chance at beating them, based off how they play. Two bad throws by their QB against Ohio State killed their chances.

Honestly, I think Oklahoma had a legit argument to get in as well.

I just don't know what it says when you are Penn State when you win arguably the best conference and Ohio State and are left out. They would be the #2 in the BCS, but isn't the point of all of this to get away from that?

I just wish there was a clear understanding of what gets you in the playoffs and that didn't dimish conference play or the regular season setup.

Dude it's money. And all that bull **** about being able to recover from an early season loss is just that.

i think Sparty's performance last year in the playoffs burned the committee on letting in a conference champ that beat OSU head to head but may not have been the better team when it comes to matching up with the other conferences. They put them in and they got brutally exposed. They know that OSU team would have competed with Bama last year with all those NFL guys. Whether they can this year is another story... very young team, not sure they can get past Clemson but they earned the spot with the other wins they have this season.

Agreed. When there are only 4 teams, you have to use more common sense and best match-ups, regardless of conference championships. Open it up to 8 teams, then you gain the flexibility to be 'fairer'.

The CFB Playoffs are total nonsense. It's the only sport where winning a Conference Championship does nothing. 2 years ago the Pirates had the 2nd best regular season record. Didn't matter, they had to play in the Wild Card because the Card's had the best record. Here is the solution:

8 team playoffs. The 5 Power Conference Champs are automatically in, then 3 "wildcards." Solution. I'd actually like to see 12, but the current format is garbage. Hopefully this year will make them open it up to 8 or 12 teams. All the regular season games will still matter as the difference between 12 and 13 is still slim.

And note, I'm not a PSU fan. I'm actually a Syracuse fan, so I have no realistic "dog" in this other than wanting to see deserving teams get a shot.

Edited by RyanC883

Holy meltdown

@danmurphyESPN

Jim Harbaugh is a no-show for the Orange Bowl teleconference tonight. Hasn't spoken to reporters since his Ohio State post-game rant.

There is intense and then there is Jim Harbaugh. When it doesn't go his way he is borderline insane.

Michigan can pack their bags for the Poinsettia Bowl Barbarian, that ship sailed last week.

I really am neutral in all this, but if you look at the last 7-8 weeks, it seems like a no-brainer, PSU is the best team in the Big 10.

OSU did not win the Michigan game, it was handed to them, and the big M just has no claim. They have two conference losses, finished 3rd in their division, etc., etc. The team that won the conference should go; especially when the only other real option is a team they beat--and Michigan is not the other "real" option. Have fun in San Diego U of M.

I think Michigan would beat Penn St. again, Iowa was a fluke, which happens and is why there is a selection committee who should put Michigan in

The problem is they have 2 losses. They would be leaving out either a 1 loss conference champ (Washington) or a 1 loss team with the strongest resume in the country (OSU). PSU has had a solid season but I'd be really surprised if they are in the playoff. I think that they play USC in the Rose Bowl.

That would be a great game, battle of the teams that got hot late, I say that is a pick em game.

This is what it should look like:

(1) Alabama vs (8) Florida St

(2) Ohio St vs (7) Michigan

(3) Clemson vs (6) Oklahoma

(4) Washington vs (5) Penn State

You're not leaving out anybody who has a realistic chance to become champion by winning 3 straight against that level of competition.

And you get a big ol' pile of awesome football games.

Those would be fantastic but would rather not watch OSU Vs Mich so soon, switch them with Oklahoma

No surprises.

@AdamSchefter

1. Alabama 2. Clemson 3. Ohio State 4. Washington

Clemson 2?! F that

Holy meltdown

@danmurphyESPN

Jim Harbaugh is a no-show for the Orange Bowl teleconference tonight. Hasn't spoken to reporters since his Ohio State post-game rant.

I love it, drives everybody crazy and they don't even know :lol: