Syracuse Hoops 2016-17

The Poojer

This team lives or dies with John Gillon. That much has become apparent. What's most impressive about his 43 point performance is the 9/10 from 3 point range. I know Gmac, Cooney, Rautins and Southerland (maybe others I can't think of) have hit 9 3's in a game, but I don't recall any player shooting 9/10 from outside. Remarkable.

Did it surprise anyone else that NC State continued to maneuver below the screen at the top of the arc allowing loads of open outside shots? You'd have thought coach would have made some adjustments to get out on the shooters better.

Unsung hero in this game was AW3 scoring 27 points and was a monster on defense.

• Replies 599
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Top Posters In This Topic

Sometimes this team is literally unwatchable

Quite possibly the worst half of basketball I have ever seen. 22 points 12 point deficit. Absolute no show for Guillen, he can't play like that. Terrible offense. Just pass the ball around the perimeter... Need to attack the lane. It's obvious

as good as UVA is, that big man, Salt is useless for them and I think SU realized that early on, took a bit of pressure off

Yes, I agree this did allow them to extend the zone and get out on Virginia's shooters more. Also allowed JB to give Thompson more minutes which is good.

Great second half. With a team that relies so heavily on the long ball, we are going to have shooting slumps like we saw there in the first half. Great adjustment at the half by JB, as they came out and attacked the rim with Battle and Gillon. Jimmy's interview post game was special. It was a great moment for him and this program. I got just a little choked up when he was talking about being there for 1000 wins. Total NCAA screwjob.

Edited by Johnny Hammersticks

Yes, I agree this did allow them to extend the zone and get out on Virginia's shooters more. Also allowed JB to give Thompson more minutes which is good.

Great second half. With a team that relies so heavily on the long ball, we are going to have shooting slumps like we saw there in the first half. Great adjustment at the half by JB, as they came out and attacked the rim with Battle and Gillon. Jimmy's interview post game was special. It was a great moment for him and this program. I got just a little choked up when he was talking about being there for 1000 wins. Total NCAA screwjob.

Does Syracuse have any extra non-playing bench players it could send to Canisius? They will get playing time instead of biding their time clapping on the bench. Preferably tall over short! :thumbsup:

Edited by JohnC

Does Syracuse have any extra non-playing bench players it could send to Canisius? They will get playing time instead of biding their time clapping on the bench. Preferably tall over short! :thumbsup:

We'll trade you Frank Howard. He's pretty tall for a guard. We can get the deal done right now for a bag of used basketballs.

We'll trade you Frank Howard. He's pretty tall for a guard. We can get the deal done right now for a bag of used basketballs.

How about some stale donuts from Horton's? Those used basketballs are essential for practice. When you are low budget you have to be parsimonious. :D

May have played back into the NIT!!!

I gotta say that the offense against these guys should be to spread out the D and let Battle take his guy 1 on 1. No one can really guard him.

Still don't get though how we can leave the high low so open every time on D.

I don't want to jinx us, but I think we are in relatively decent shape IF we beat one of Duke or Louisville and go 2/3 against Ga Tech, Clemson and Pitt. Our kenpom before this win was 53.

Agreed about Tyus. I've been screaming since November....put Tyus out there and give him the green light. He is the best athlete on the court at times. Also, he's typically a good FT shooter.

The high-low nonsense is very frustrating. Taurean is just not there yet defensively, and Robey is infuriatingly inconsistent. Virginia not having a solid offensive center hurt them badly today.

I don't want to jinx us, but I think we are in relatively decent shape IF we beat one of Duke or Louisville and go 2/3 against Ga Tech, Clemson and Pitt. Our kenpom before this win was 53.

Agreed about Tyus. I've been screaming since November....put Tyus out there and give him the green light. He is the best athlete on the court at times. Also, he's typically a good FT shooter.

The high-low nonsense is very frustrating. Taurean is just not there yet defensively, and Robey is infuriatingly inconsistent. Virginia not having a solid offensive center hurt them badly today.

Make another NIT joke that was the day this season seemed to turn around. If the Orange aren't dancing I ain't watching.

Beat Duke or louisville & take care of business against Pitt, Gtech & Clemson & they are in great shape. No other bubble teams will have the signature wins that Cuse has which is huge to the selection committee.

Beat Duke or louisville & take care of business against Pitt, Gtech & Clemson & they are in great shape. No other bubble teams will have the signature wins that Cuse has which is huge to the selection committee.

I think they need a big win on the road. I can see the committee ripping on them for no big road wins. i think Pitt, GT, and Clemson are on the road. If they can sweep those, it would be huge.

I think they need a big win on the road. I can see the committee ripping on them for no big road wins. i think Pitt, GT, and Clemson are on the road. If they can sweep those, it would be huge.

You got to remember most bubble teams don't have a signature win on the road, if they did they probably wont be a bubble team. But yes if you get that road signature win it is like hitting the lottery. That is why I cringed when K State beat Baylor & Iowa St beat Kansas on the road this weekend. 2 bubble teams that got that signature road win.

Any game on the road in the ACC is no give me game, so yes if they could get all 3 of those they will be in good shape.

I figured this with Chino coming to the Bonnies. But, he was not very good, and now has been hurt for quite awhile, and nobody knows anything about if he's coming back or not.

Great road win. I can't believe I'm watching the same team that lost to St. John's by 33. Seems like team morale and chemistry, in general, has improved. I love the brilliant improv by Lydon at the end (it was drawn up for him to get that shot), and an amazing clutch shot by the frosh, Kid Mamba.

Let's hope JB and staff can whip this defense into shape. They are getting better, but D is still our glaring weakness.

Edited by Johnny Hammersticks

Got to give Pitt credit on D. They were switching on every off ball screen which is really unusual. As a result, no shooter was getting open in the second half. The way to counteract that is to cut backdoor, but we didn't do that until one time when there was like 5 minutes left (the Lydon alley oop dunk).

Plus, they were and always are beasts on the glass.

But cuse played okay and they had a shot, until Lydon turned it over down by 4 late. I thought he was going to catch it and dunk it and make it a 2 point game. We were really close. I think the team was too tired in the end.