Pats trade Jamie Collins

I dont think that is only relevant to NE. Heck, we've done it with Spikes, Incognito, Rambo, ZBrown, and Alexander.

I think his point was that they shine there though (and may get a ring). If given the choice between a team known for meticulous preparation and winning vs say Miami (not even trying to make it an us issue).... one seems like a much safer bet to showcase good film.

• Replies 140
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Top Posters In This Topic

I think his point was that they shine there though (and may get a ring). If given the choice between a team known for meticulous preparation and winning vs say Miami (not even trying to make it an us issue).... one seems like a much safer bet to showcase good film.

That was my point as well as teams look to fleece talent from top contenders and not the Browns of the world.

Wow, the Pats just don't give an eff about any players. If you're not a white guy on that team, watch out!!! (Just kidding, they will cut anyone).

But once you have the qb, it's all about cheap labor and it's doesn't get cheaper than draft picks.

it's about spreading out cap hit and the risk of injury over 2-3 mid level players vs 1 franchise tag type player.

Giving away talent like Chandler Jones and Jamie Collins for next to nothing only works for NE because they have the coach and the QB and they play in an inept division so they are never really challenged.

The Bills were the only team with any shot of catching the Pats in the East this year and now that BB has put that to bed he can thin his roster without consequence.

The problem for the Pats has been letting it get too thin at playoff time and injuries then taking their toll........otherwise they'd win the SB almost every year instead of once in the past decade.

Per the Bill Simmons podcast from Mike Lombardi (who was just with the team): Collins was a really moody player who didn't go hard every game. Thinks they are sending a message to the rest of the defense.

Again, it's much easier to make those moves with the greatest qb ever.

might as well be the last pick in the second round considering where Cleveland will end up drafting.

It's a compensatory 3rd, so it would come after all the regular 3rd round picks are complete - likely 97th.

Edited by dulles

Maybe, maybe not

It may mean that they intend to be active in FA next offseason. Some teams bundle their signings every other year in order to maximize their compensatory picks. One year on/one year off, gives you more bang for your buck. This is purely anecdotal, but I tend to remember the Cheats getting a lot of picks that way over the years.

He must have broken some Patriots team rule, and Belichick's punishing him.

Admit it...it's the theory that makes the most sense.

My Pats fan friends say Collins won't "do his job" as expected in the Patriot way. They allege that the big run early by Gillislee was a blown assignment by Collins. That and his money demands made him expendable.

Judging by Collins recent tweets I don't think he's happy to be a Brown or looking forward to signing a deal there.

Is also worth noting the front office connection to Belichick inside the Browns. So it seems like if you get a job after working for the Pats, you owe the Hoodie.

It's a compensatory 3rd, so it would come after all the regular 3rd round picks are complete - likely 97th.

It's more like a 4th, I doubt he gets the money to make him worth a 3rd round pick. Plus they wouldn't get the pick until 2018.

Edited: now I'm reading they traded for Cleveland's comp pick in 2017.

Edited by QCity

It's more like a 4th, I doubt he gets the money to make him worth a 3rd round pick. Plus they wouldn't get the pick until 2018. The Browns will probably finish with the worst record, so it will be the 1st pick in the 3rd round this year. Big difference between a 2017 high 3rd round pick and a 4th round comp pick in 2018.

It doesn't matter how much money he gets. This is based on how many free agents the Browns lost last year. They are predicting the NFL will give them an end-of-the-third-round compensatory pick in the 2017 draft. If the NFL does not, the ESPN article says that NE will get a fourth round pick. The article does not list a year, but the inference is 2017.