Top Hits That Changed QB Careers

Dr.Sack

In honor of what's his name coming to town I wanted to start a convo on the top QB career altering injuries in NFL history. Montana and Theismann come to mind. Manning's 2006 neck injury versus the Redskins and bounty hunter Gregg Williams is rumored to have led to his decline. I'm sure we can construct a top 10 list. And maybe one lucky Bills defender can add to the list soon.

Trent Edwaeds was never the same after his hit in Arizona.

And I wouldn't put manning in there since he came back from it. Broke the season TD record with it. And won a Super Bowl with it.

Sucked badly before and sucked badly after.

Otherwise you have a point.

sometimes I wonder if things would've been different if Fitz didn't take that shot to the ribs against the redskins from London fletcher when we were 5-2 in 2011. Long term I don't think it changed much about who he is as a qb, but for the rest of that season it seemed like he was uncomfortable in the pocket and his throws lacked zip, even by his standards. Maybe if it doesn't happen we would've got a few more games of the hot Fitz and had a season like the jets did last year.

Greg Cook's hit by Jim Lynch ruined his career. He would have been an all-time great if that hadn't happened.

Wow, Greg Cook? I am thinking that only a few of us on this board remember him. He was absolutely great, to the extent that if he was a rookie today, he would be the top pick in virtually any draft.

Another from that era who had it all and had his career cut short was Bert Jones. I honestly believe that Jones had as much talent as Elway.

Jmo.

Hit on Marino which tore his ACL and got him his career start in advertising promotions has to be one. He got most of early work when he was on IR. It also affected him for rest of career. And do not forget the hits which scrambled his brain for multiple years!

Agree on Greg Cook:

https://www.google.com/url?sa=t&rct=j&q=&esrc=s&source=web&cd=2&cad=rja&uact=8&ved=0ahUKEwjswInEsoDQAhXJwFQKHU2JA0YQtwIIKjAB&url=http%3A%2F%2Fwww.nfl.com%2Fvideos%2Fcincinnati-bengals%2F0ap3000000493964%2FGreatness-cut-short-for-Greg-Cook&usg=AFQjCNHyJ7kz996HjbLbufCOv-WN6jhCMg&sig2=OV7XMT0A3bxEut3Bltai6w

Dareus driving an OLman right on top of Brady and Dareus falling on the pile for good measure. The OLman accidentally steps on Brady's foot when he goes down and Brady starts crying.

Why is this a topic? Are we that bored as fans of a 4-3 team?

I'm actually pretty bored right now.

Wow, Greg Cook? I am thinking that only a few of us on this board remember him. He was absolutely great, to the extent that if he was a rookie today, he would be the top pick in virtually any draft.

Another from that era who had it all and had his career cut short was Bert Jones. I honestly believe that Jones had as much talent as Elway.

Jmo.

Agree with everything you said. He was a phenom, but was never the same after he ripped his shoulder up against KC.

I saw quite a nice piece on NFL.com about him recently. There's a lot of Bob Trumpy in it, and it's a bit maudlin, but it was poignant.

It was a shame his career got cut short. Today, maybe they could have done some other surgery to repair his shoulder, but he was never the same again.

The other thing I remember about him was his absolutely sick play-action fake handoff. The cameramen were NEVER able to follow it.

http://www.nfl.com/videos/cincinnati-bengals/0ap3000000493964/Greatness-cut-short-for-Greg-Cook

Bert jones had a cannon.

Lawrence Phillips missing the blitz pick up and Steve Young never played again.

Dan Marino torn Achilles vs the browns and it was down hill.Jim and Dan careers were ended by Jacksonville.I think Dan threw 7 interceptions in his final wild card game.

Bledsoe's run in with the JESTS

That was a bad one.

Bert jones had a cannon.

Lawrence Phillips missing the blitz pick up and Steve Young never played again.

Dan Marino torn Achilles vs the browns and it was down hill.Jim and Dan careers were ended by Jacksonville.I think Dan threw 7 interceptions in his final wild card game.

Yeah I remember seeing that Steve Young NFL special, he said he could have continued to play but didnt feel comfortable anywhere besides SF, he even says one of the biggest regrets is not going to Denver which had an offer on the table.

The bounty hit by the saints on Kurt Warner. Was on an INT return, was super cheap, and pretty much ended his career.

http://deadspin.com/5890060/the-hit-that-knocked-kurt-warner-into-retirement-sure-looks-different-knowing-the-saints-got-paid-to-injure-him

That sucks. Kurt Warner was one of the best underdog NFL stories. Wish he woulda won that 2nd one with Arz tho.