Disappointing day, but after careful consideration...

eball

True. But I think this year more than so than in past seasons, less separates the middle of the pack from the top. The only team I see that looks capable of winning out and marching to a super bowl is New England.

Cleveland, Chicago, San Fran are clear cut losers. I am still having problems believing that Carolina is as bad as their record. After that, I don't see a lot of teams that you consider a guaranteed W.

Carolina has the worst CB in football. Till they fix that they will not be any good. Ad in a terrible Oline and well..

• Replies 47
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Top Posters In This Topic

Top Posters In This Topic

In my mind what's really causing NFL mediocrity is the numerous injuries. Every so often you hear the theory that today's players work out so much and get their body's so muscular that they damage their body's natural resiliency to recover from the physical rigor of playing football. I'd think that if most of the players out there currently sidelined with injuries were playing instead the games would benefit.

It is a big problem as you say and I'm convinced that the very best minds in terms of training, nutrition and therapy are not employed by NFL teams. This IMO is a place where owners should spend more $$.

Edited by keepthefaith

He does though. 2-7 in his career when tied or down a score in the 4th

Jim Kelly made throwing a pic over the middle an art form from 86-88. Takes a little bit of time for a QB to develop. Something the NFL has become very poor at. Developing QBs longterm. Defenses are more complex than ever. So are offenses. Hes our best alternative. Absent getting lucky with a draft pick Id stay the course. He throws a great deep ball. Makes plays with his legs and doesnt turn the ball over. Pretty solid foundation.

Edited by TANK2

Any given Sunday. Some call it parity, some call it mediocrity. I call it boring. I watched Seattle/Arizona 6 - 6. What a snorefest! Too many of these games are unwatchable. Too many players trying to make it on the highlight reel instead of playing sound football. I don't find these games as entertaining as before. Watered down.

...I've come to the conclusion there are simply no great teams out there -- and the Pats*** are unfortunately the closest thing to being one because of their HC and QB.

Every team has strengths and flaws, and can look great one week and lousy the next. There are some truly bad teams, but the majority of the league are Dr. Jekyll/Mr. Hyde ballclubs. Yesterday the Bills performed about as poorly as they could on offense and defense, yet still almost won. With a couple of their injured players back the game probably goes differently.

I don't have high expectations for the remainder of the season -- they'll be significant underdogs in the next three -- but if some players get healthy it could get interesting.

I can't place blame on Tyrod for yesterday's loss -- he really did have to try to do everything himself while playing with 4th and 5th string WRs and what looked like a 75% Shady. I think ALynn called his worst game by far.

Defensively there were about 3-4 plays that absolutely killed us, although there is never an excuse for allowing a 200 yard rusher. In the 4th quarter I think being on the field so much finally wore them down.

Overall, though, I go back to my first point. There are no great teams. The Bills have the potential to defeat -- or lose to -- anyone remaining on their schedule.

We needed to do more to neutralize their pass rush. I'd like to see more screens and swings. We just don't have dynamic playmakers right now to capitalize on those types of plays. Edelman makes it look so easy, but you have to be a certain type of guy to have that offense run through you.

Any given Sunday. Some call it parity, some call it mediocrity. I call it boring. I watched Seattle/Arizona 6 - 6. What a snorefest! Too many of these games are unwatchable. Too many players trying to make it on the highlight reel instead of playing sound football. I don't find these games as entertaining as before. Watered down.

Too many penalties, games are called inconsistently. Excessive celebration penalties and uniform violations. It's just... ugh.

...I've come to the conclusion there are simply no great teams out there -- and the Pats*** are unfortunately the closest thing to being one because of their HC and QB.

Every team has strengths and flaws, and can look great one week and lousy the next. There are some truly bad teams, but the majority of the league are Dr. Jekyll/Mr. Hyde ballclubs. Yesterday the Bills performed about as poorly as they could on offense and defense, yet still almost won. With a couple of their injured players back the game probably goes differently.

I don't have high expectations for the remainder of the season -- they'll be significant underdogs in the next three -- but if some players get healthy it could get interesting.

I can't place blame on Tyrod for yesterday's loss -- he really did have to try to do everything himself while playing with 4th and 5th string WRs and what looked like a 75% Shady. I think ALynn called his worst game by far.

Defensively there were about 3-4 plays that absolutely killed us, although there is never an excuse for allowing a 200 yard rusher. In the 4th quarter I think being on the field so much finally wore them down.

Overall, though, I go back to my first point. There are no great teams. The Bills have the potential to defeat -- or lose to -- anyone remaining on their schedule.

yeah they were more than fine for 3 quarters... fine line between W's and L's in the NFL unless you have a GOAT-type QB or you're team is completely healthy and talented and the other guys are beat up and/or on the road.

no Shady means no time of possession... can't lose that guy and Sammy at the same time...the dropoff is just too great right now... hope he'll be OK for the Pats

Edited by 8and8-->NoMore

Not intending to get political here but a certain presidential candidate seems to be doing everything he can to convince voters to choose his opponent.

The NFL seems to be doing everything possible to get us to watch college football. It's a much better game.

I'd even give the CFL a shot if it was available in Utah.

Game on the line and Tyrod Wilts. That is typical of him.

Game on the line and TT has his hands tied by a lack of playmaking talent at WR. I'd live to see TT get some consistent time with any of our receivers.

Not intending to get political here but a certain presidential candidate seems to be doing everything he can to convince voters to choose his opponent.

The NFL seems to be doing everything possible to get us to watch college football. It's a much better game.

I do have to admit that I prefer the football choices over the election!

Obviously the CFL isn't available in Utah, otherwise you'd avoid such a statement. :)

The next layer of the onion is matchups.

You can be a very good team that matches up poorly against a lousey team and get unfathomably beat by them.

The margin between the players and teams is getting tighter.

Hmmmm everything that candidate does and the reaction by the media just convinces me more to vote for him and not his opponent

I still watch theNFL

I watch College football. That's on Saturdays . It's a good game too, but very uneven talent amongst teams

I won't watch the CFL. Just doesn't seem like real football when I've seen it. Canada can have it

3 and outs all game irrelevant

And the defense got ran all over and as a result Miami dominated TOP. Maybe if they could have gotten off the field the offense would have been able to run more than 54 plays. It works both ways. Team loss yesterday. Defense was much healthier than the offense. What was their excuse?

The next layer of the onion is matchups.

You can be a very good team that matches up poorly against a lousey team and get unfathomably beat by them.

The margin between the players and teams is getting tighter.

Great point -- exploiting matchup advantages is huge. Hence, the importance of coaching.

Just to recap, the point of this thread isn't to rehash why the Bills lost yesterday -- it's to discuss my observation that there are no great teams and it truly is an "any given Sunday" league.

Still, the point captures the Bills as much as any team. I'd bet many people thought we'd be 2-2 out of the gate, but not by the way it happened. Not many expect the Bills to win the next two, so maybe they'll take one...

3 and outs all game irrelevant

Enough with the crusade Bobby, we all know that you dont like TT, so give it a rest.

As for the OP, I agree that the Bills can keep it very interesting, bit more than anything we need McCoy. The trainers should lock him in an icebath for 2 weeks to get ready for the Shehawks. Give TD Mike his day with the Pats, and keep our fingers crossed that Bob Woods is good to go. We have the talent to hang with any team, including Brady and co.

The offensive and defensive lines got bullied yesterday. Rex wanted to build a bully? He should look at what Miami did to us. Their OL were constantly on our LBs, and our OL was constantly beat by their DL. Just awful.

The best way to being a consistent team is to win up front and we got our ass kicked yesterday.

THAT!!^^^^

Bottom line -- all of us would have taken 4-3 at this point if it was offered on the Friday after the Jets game.

Perspective changes as time passes, obviously, but given the state of the NFL (parity) the Bills are certainly not out of it.

Bottom line -- all of us would have taken 4-3 at this point if it was offered on the Friday after the Jets game.

Perspective changes as time passes, obviously, but given the state of the NFL (parity) the Bills are certainly not out of it.

Great perspective. I think this is where I am at too. That being said, man, do we need to get some of our key players back on the field!

Edited by Philo Beddoe