Should Landry Get Suspended? Update: Fined 24k

fridge

If he hits AW in the legs and tears his ACL we're all screaming how dirty it was that Landry didn't just hit him in the chest. Not to mention Landry gets chewed out on the sidelines for not simply executing the block as he's supposed to -- by hitting the guy square. It sucks AW is hurt but that's football. It was a hard hit but I don't see anything dirty about it.

Comparisons to Burfict are ludicrous.

• Replies 238
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Top Posters In This Topic

If he hits AW in the legs and tears his ACL we're all screaming how dirty it was that Landry didn't just hit him in the chest. Not to mention Landry gets chewed out on the sidelines for not simply executing the block as he's supposed to -- by hitting the guy square. It sucks AW is hurt but that's football. It was a hard hit but I don't see anything dirty about it.

Comparisons to Burfict are ludicrous.

Hines Ward Rule. Illegal Blindside Block to the head.

I have yet to see anyone who maintains the Landry hit was fine explain why a 15 yard penalty was called.

No question it was an illegal hit; can't launch and hit in the head/neck, hence the flag.

The only question is whether or not it was a cheap shot, as in: did he intentionally try to hit him in the head/neck? I'd guess no based off his reaction.

I remember when Eric Lindros used to swing his stick around and claim it was unintentional when someone got hurt.

Landry had to know that there was a high likelihood of injury . . . whether he intended to hurt AW or just blow his head up.

I remember when Eric Lindros used to swing his stick around and claim it was unintentional when someone got hurt.

Landry had to know that there was a high likelihood of injury . . . whether he intended to hurt AW or just blow his head up.

exactly. Intent to injure should not matter. He intentionally hit him in the manner in which he did (leaving his feet, blindside block, etc.) He should be suspended. An NHL player would be. How odd if suddenly the NHL cares more about player safety than the NFL.

@JaySkurski

Eric Wood on @WGR550: "After watching the replay, (Jarvis Landry) tried to take (Aaron Williams') head off." #Bills

@mikerodak

Bills center Eric Wood tells WGR 550 that Dolphins WR Jarvis Landry's hit on Aaron Williams "crossed the line,".

@SalSports

Eric Wood on Landry/Williams: "We talked about that hit a lot in training camp. A shot on a defenseless player doesn't make you tough."

The penalty was called for unnecessary roughness, not for an illegal hit or a crackback block. That was the correct call. I see it as Landry hitting AW with his shoulder, primarily into AW's chest and shoulder, but not into his head. That would have been legal except for the violence of the collision. It was unnecessary to lay out the other guy like that, hence the call on the field.

If it's anyone's fault, it's AW's. Sorry to criticize an injured player, and a Bill, but Landry didn't come at him from behind or the side. He was coming toward AW from AW's front, maybe at 2 o'clock. Williams should be more aware of what's going on.

That said, I hope AW retires. He's been a good player but more importantly a very good citizen, at least by the standards of NFL players. His mobility and perhaps his life are at stake.

The penalty was called for unnecessary roughness, not for an illegal hit or a crackback block. That was the correct call. I see it as Landry hitting AW with his shoulder, primarily into AW's chest and shoulder, but not into his head. That would have been legal except for the violence of the collision. It was unnecessary to lay out the other guy like that, hence the call on the field.

If it's anyone's fault, it's AW's. Sorry to criticize an injured player, and a Bill, but Landry didn't come at him from behind or the side. He was coming toward AW from AW's front, maybe at 2 o'clock. Williams should be more aware of what's going on.

That said, I hope AW retires. He's been a good player but more importantly a very good citizen, at least by the standards of NFL players. His mobility and perhaps his life are at stake.

You should see it again with your eyes open this time.

Edited by 26CornerBlitz

I just don't get it... you can easily NOT do this and still take him out of the play. That to me makes me think it was intentional.

It's simple - if you don't eject people they will keep doing it. Eject them from the game, and take the game check. He would more than likely think twice about taking someones head off if its going to affect his pay.

Should be a hefty fine coming at the very least. I was livid when he went out there to try and pat Aaron on the back to try and save face in front of the cameras. The players should have gone over there and got between them and not let him touch AW after how blatant and dirty that was. He didn't deserve to pat his back, and would have been really cool to see the Bills stop him from doing so. But it was on the Dolphins side of the field and near the end zone though, so that's tough I guess.

Well Mike Pereira disagrees, check out the second video in the link.

http://www.sportingnews.com/nfl/news/jarvis-landry-aaron-williams-dirty-hit-miami-dolphins-buffalo-bills/xbdxd9ixh3ck1qilztz51d2vg

I disagree. We know a lot more today than we did in Tasker's era about the long-term effects of head injuries.

In 1990, we would have cringed and wondered about the impact of the hit on the roster for the rest of the season. Today we know it will have significant impacts on the player's life moving forward. It's a different era.

Again, it was not necessary to deliver a head shot for Landry to have a positive impact on the play. Take the opponent out of the play, not the game.

kj

Ali, Spinks, etc would, if they could, wonder what you didn't understand about the effects of repeated hits to the head 30 years ago.....

It's his job to go he hit really hard and possibly even hurt him. But to do it within the rules.

Whether his intent was to be dirty or he just got caught in a moment and misplayed it I don't know. A WR tends not to be as skilled in his hitting. It's possible he was going fast and just blew it accidentally.

@SalSports

Rex uses Robert Woods as an example of a WR who blocks hard but says "I've never seen him target someone like that."

The Shady "run" when he zig zagged the entire field leading into 3 crackback block opportunities is a perfect example. Each guy could've done what Landry did but ultimately held off. Didn't affect the play one bit.

On his ESPN radio show, Bomani Jones asked Desmond Howard if he ever played defense. He said not much but said he loved when they called a jet sweep because he "loved to lay on a crack back block on the LB or DB. I loved to blindside him. I would just earhole him as hard as I could cuz I knew when I went over the middle he was trying to lay me out"