I Don't Feel Like Playing Today

Gugny

It goes much deeper then that

Players are concentrating on putting on as much size while still getting as explosive and fast as they can.......and the bodies simply cannot take it.

I was discussing this with my son the other day who is now interning with a former NFL player to specialize in sports training for athletes while still looking to possibly go play in the CFL.

it is absolutely nuts

With the hamstring specifically it's an imbalance between the quads and the hammy. Most guys run sprints and do squats to get strong quads. How many run backwards and do GHD work to build strong hamstrings? If your hammy is tight it could be for a lot of reasons and stretching it will not help. Could even make it worse if there is an imbalance

• Replies 91
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Top Posters In This Topic

Top Posters In This Topic

Posted Images

I am just thinking how comical it would be to hear you tell your Little League war stories and tough guy opinions to an actual NFL player.

I actually never gave my opinion just stating what happened with me and how things are different now. My story is the same as many that played. Im not judging them, certainly not a knock on anyone in particular. It's the new norm. Guys have boo boos and take a week or two off. If you sat out of a game with a tight hamstring in my experience you would have been laughed off the field. I played baseball against lots of pros, guys that are in the majors now. Because they are slightly better athletes does that make them super heroes or something? They seemed pretty human to me. But hey if you are getting paid either way then why not sit out? I've just personally never come across so many hamstring and foot issues. If its broke then fix it (surgery). If it's not then it was always my experience that you play.

If I'm allowed to give my opinion now then it is that I'm glad Shady isnt playing in hopes that he will be fully ready for next week. I feel like Dareus is being a big (fat) baby. Sammy I feel like he didn't like that he wasn't 100% but at the end of the day the team made the call to IR him so it's on them.

I replied with my exp because I understand what the OP is talking about. Football used to be a man's game and guys played through these types of injuries. Things are clearly different now, good or bad

Going back to last year with Goodwin, Sammy, Dareus and McCoy ... and up to this current week ... it seems that Rex has created an environment in which players can just "opt out," of a game, as if it's a Common Core exam.

In a league that players ALWAYS play injured, this bothers me.

There is no such thing as 100% healthy in the NFL. Everyone knows this.

But to this day, on most teams, players play through those injuries.

The Bills, however, don't seem to set that expectation. As a fan, it's disheartening.

Must be tough living if your imagination causes your life to be disheartening

I wonder if it's not simply that the delta isn't quite as large as it used to be, or a starter isn't so much better that even at 75% they are more effective than their back up.

There is not much difference in raw talent in the NFL from the best to the worse. Look at alexander this year for the Bills. It is getting the right guy to fit the right system and be motivated to execute his assignments.

As for the injury thing. I think some of you guys are trying to give Philly fans a run for their money on being intolerant.

Marcel is a little out there. I think he will come in and show up when we need him.

Going back to last year with Goodwin, Sammy, Dareus and McCoy ... and up to this current week ... it seems that Rex has created an environment in which players can just "opt out," of a game, as if it's a Common Core exam.

The Bills, however, don't seem to set that expectation. As a fan, it's disheartening.

I find it funny that you think like this after opting to leave work for several hours a year to meet with men for lunch that you met on a message board... If this crap hits 3 pages, it'll be a damn miracle

Crap!!! It's past 3 pages!!! The most obvious troll post in years is getting too much attention!!!!

post-13134-0-65464900-1477083613_thumb.jpeg

I never said it was right or wrong. I said it's different now than it was then. Just stating a fact. No ignorance here my friend.

If anything Im on the side of being cautious. My kids won't play football because of how I was treated. I don't trust coaches to do the right thing. I was knocked unconscious and my teammates picked me up and helped me to the sideline and then I was back in the next series. It wasn't even a thought that maybe I should take some plays off. You were expected to play through pain. So when they say a player has a bad boo boo on their foot and can't play I have to laugh

How many mg's of Oxy do pros from 5, 10, 15, 30 years ago need to get through a day because they decided to rough it out?

I get it, different times, different thoughts. But I generally follow the "wheelbarrow theory" in all life scenarios.

Edited by stony

A guy that just bails on work after just recently receiving a promotion... And he's completely uninjured... I was going to say "healthy" but too many people know the truth...

Isn't it amazing how fast the mighty have fallen?

Chasing down the backup QB. Wink, wink, winks.

Imo

Edited by Leroi

Without being in the locker room, I don't know how we can judge whether or not Bills players are willing to play with injuries.

Without being a team doctor or trainer, I don't know how we can judge whether or not a player should sit out.

I actually never gave my opinion just stating what happened with me and how things are different now.

And I quote: "The woosification of America has leaked into the sport and the players are soft imo."

Just own it bud.

I understand what you mean; yes, things are different now. But unless you are one of those players, facing what they have to face in terms of the work and pain and pounding, it just seems ridiculous to compare your high school (or whatever) experience to people that train and play as professionals.

. I understand what the OP is saying. Football used to be a man's game. The woosification of America has leaked into the sport and the players are soft imo.

Or people are just much smarter about injuries now... o_O

The wussification of America is a much larger issue. Google for many examples of a very real problem

I actually never gave my opinion just stating what happened with me and how things are different now.

I call Shenanigans. "IMO" or "imo" stands for "in my opinion" and in stating that "football used to be a man's game. The woosification of America has leaked into the sport and the players are soft in my opinion", you, in fact, gave your opinion. Twice now. This is clearly beyond stating what happened to you and how things are different now.

You indeed gave your opinion, "Cowboy up" and own it.

Edited by Hapless Bills Fan

Thanks for the laugh.

If I'm allowed to give my opinion now then it is that I'm glad Shady isnt playing in hopes that he will be fully ready for next week. I feel like Dareus is being a big (fat) baby. Sammy I feel like he didn't like that he wasn't 100% but at the end of the day the team made the call to IR him so it's on them.

If you kept it at that you wouldnt be on fire rite now. Shady needs the rest, things ARE different now but, I wouldnt want Shady to risk it, hes too important to this team. Sammy wanted to play but that wasnt his decision to make, and seeing him limp around out there wasnt helping this team at all. Might be right about Dareus tho, guy shoulda been ready to play week 5, like Minkovitch and all the other suspended peeps. :wallbash:

I find it funny that you think like this after opting to leave work for several hours a year to meet with men for lunch that you met on a message board... If this crap hits 3 pages, it'll be a damn miracle

Crap!!! It's past 3 pages!!! The most obvious troll post in years is getting too much attention!!!!

LMAO!! Is that shenanigans or did that really happen? Gug need to reply on that! When I 1st read the OP the 1st thing that came to mind was...

SuperTroll-flying-through-clouds-trollfa

Without being in the locker room, I don't know how we can judge whether or not Bills players are willing to play with injuries.

Without being a team doctor or trainer, I don't know how we can judge whether or not a player should sit out.

Exactly this. Woods is one of the gutsiest players out. IDK how you could even include him, dude played THE WHOLE SEASON last year with a groin injury. As a WR where you need to make sharp cuts thats CRAZY! Shady is out best player on offense, we need him for the playoff push so rest him, dont even gamble with the hammy we need him 100% for every game after Seattle and Pats2. Sammys played hurt a lot for this team. His current injury really limited him and he wasnt doing anyone any good limping around on the field, they shoulda just let him heal all off-season and the 1st 4 weeks, woulda been back by now and making plays.

Edited by Marty McFly

You guys can think I'm trolling all you want. But let's face it, it's a matter of opinion. I merely stated mine and I think the evidence shows that I'm probably right.

Wrong. Like I said, Shady and Sammy are guys who want to be great and want to play. Goodwin is just brittle. Maybe Dareus, but that's it.

Can't be..he's out for 3-4 weeks....and if not he needs to sit at least another month until he's fully healthy..even if it takes all year

I thought he had his Leg amputated?

You guys can think I'm trolling all you want. But let's face it, it's a matter of opinion. I merely stated mine and I think the evidence shows that I'm probably right.

Bottom line Gug.....Need to draft a new #1 wr.... and yes Im serious. Edited by fansince88

I actually never gave my opinion just stating what happened with me and how things are different now. My story is the same as many that played. Im not judging them, certainly not a knock on anyone in particular. It's the new norm. Guys have boo boos and take a week or two off. If you sat out of a game with a tight hamstring in my experience you would have been laughed off the field. I played baseball against lots of pros, guys that are in the majors now. Because they are slightly better athletes does that make them super heroes or something? They seemed pretty human to me. But hey if you are getting paid either way then why not sit out? I've just personally never come across so many hamstring and foot issues. If its broke then fix it (surgery). If it's not then it was always my experience that you play.

I replied with my exp because I understand what the OP is talking about. Football used to be a man's game and guys played through these types of injuries. Things are clearly different now, good or bad

You can't make a valid comparison between when you played vs. today's NFL. I don't think the players today are any less tough than "back in the day". Today's NFL is completely different. They play 16 games. Today's players are bigger, stronger, faster.

There's also a lot more money involved.

I think the team is smart to be a little cautious, especially with McCoy. Playing on a strained hamstring is risky for a running back, because if it gets aggravated then he's going to be out for a lot longer. It's not a minor problem for a running back.

We also don't know the exact nature of these injuries because the players have the right to keep it private. So for example, we don't know the nature of Sammy's foot injury. Unless you see the x-rays or are in the room when the doctor/surgeon examines it, you just don't have enough information. Imagine how the fans would react if he played with the foot problem, re injured it, and then was out for a year....or longer? Same with Shady. If he blew out his hamstring and the fans found out he didn't rest it for a game, the city would be set on fire.

IMO teams can't win on this issue.