The "Rex ruined Mario Williams" crowd looks pretty silly...

eball

• Replies 297
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Top Posters In This Topic

That's because Rex ruined him. What's so hard to understand? He was great before Rex. Rex ruined him and then he went to the Fins ruined (already ruined by Rex). Rex ruined Mario.He broke him. He didn't fix him before sending him on his way.

But honestly, is Rex 100% at fault for ruining Mario? Of course not. I'm thinking maybe 60-75%,

Even as I gain some respect for Rex as a HC, I can't deny he played a huge part in ruining the career of Mario Williams. He didn't follow a basic tenet of great management: Put your people in a position to succeed. Don't ask them, continually, to do things they are not qualified to do.

Both, of course, are at fault. But Rex was the boss, and the boss gets the bulk of the credit, and the blame, in situations like this (as far as I'm concerned).

60-75? That's absurd.

Sorry, IMO this is a wildly out of touch take from one of my favorite posters for the better part of a decade.

It's doubly absurd when you consider the production we've seen already this year from the likes of Washington, Worthy and Douzable.

Mario and Mario alone is responsible for his ruin. And if it's because he's older/slower? Fine. But that's still on him and nobody else.

If Mario's qualifications are as narrow and conditional as you've portrayed them to be, then it is, was and always will be based on a limited skill. But we all know that's not the case. It's his horrible attitude. Nobody in Houston wept for his departure either, and he wasn't old and slow then.

Edited by The Big Cat

I find it intriguing that both the Dolphins and Jets were supposed to have fearsome lines. I didn't expect the Dolphins would work out, but a lot of lazy d lineman who have been paid in the AFC East.

OK I understand the Jets and Fish with their signings, but who else?

That's because Rex ruined him. What's so hard to understand? He was great before Rex. Rex ruined him and then he went to the Fins ruined (already ruined by Rex). Rex ruined Mario.He broke him. He didn't fix him before sending him on his way.

But honestly, is Rex 100% at fault for ruining Mario? Of course not. I'm thinking maybe 60-75%,

Even as I gain some respect for Rex as a HC, I can't deny he played a huge part in ruining the career of Mario Williams. He didn't follow a basic tenet of great management: Put your people in a position to succeed. Don't ask them, continually, to do things they are not qualified to do.

Both, of course, are at fault. But Rex was the boss, and the boss gets the bulk of the credit, and the blame, in situations like this (as far as I'm concerned).

Last sentence third paragraph. That's the nutshell on this topic.

Your percentage is too high. Mario seems to be a guy who expects to fail, which is why a player with that talent is on his third team and his performance dropped off so dramatically.

Mario Williams had all the tools to be an elite NFL player - a Hall of Famer. He just didn't have the "want to" and always seemed to take the easy way out. Kinda the anti-Bruce Smith.

Your percentage is too high. Mario seems to be a guy who expects to fail, which is why a player with that talent is on his third team and his performance dropped off so dramatically.

Mario Williams had all the tools to be an elite NFL player - a Hall of Famer. He just didn't have the "want to" and always seemed to take the easy way out. Kinda the anti-Bruce Smith.

Marv would say he lacks "football character."

So who was the most wrong all offseason long about Mario ?

Merper, JBoyst, or Scott Law.

I'm awarding co-winners to jb and merper.

Thanks for the laughs guys. Special shout out to merper's Rex was mean to Preston Brown rant.

Funny stuff guys.

ill own that i thought getting back into that scheme would be good for him.

i dont know if he just totally lost his desire, or is physically not there (or both).... the dude was a freak of nature though for a long stretch. among other freaks of nature he was the type that stood out OFTEN which is cool to have gotten to watch for awhile.

oh well.... gold stars for those that thought he was done earlier.

Marv would say he lacks "football character."

I think Marv would simply say character. "Football" character is the current version that allows fans to square the idea of signing delinquents while still maintaining a high character team.

Last sentence third paragraph. That's the nutshell on this topic.

And it's utterly preposterous to assert that a 6'6" 300lb former first overall pick had to be put into precisely the right conditions to achieve even modest success in the NFL.

In 2015 he finished 497th in tackles and tied for 68th in sacks, which means there could have been more than two guys on every NFL team, including his own, who had more sacks than he did.

Coaching my ass.

I think Marv would simply say character. "Football" character is the current version that allows fans to square the idea of signing delinquents while still maintaining a high character team.

No, "football character" is a direct quote from Marv, who used the phrase many times over the years. He wasn't looking for choir boys, either. And God knows his squads had more than their share of players that bent the rules. And he and Polian took chances on questionable players cut by other teams. Reggie Rogers, who was convicted of vehicular homicide for driving drunk, getting in a crash and killing three people in the other car, comes to mind.

Football character means you are willing to pay the price and all that it entails to be successful within the context of the team. Has nothing to do with attending church regularly or having achieved the rank of Eagle Scout.

No, "football character" is a direct quote from Marv, who used the phrase many times over the years. He wasn't looking for choir boys, either. And God knows his squads had more than their share of players that bent the rules. And he and Polian took chances on questionable players cut by other teams. Reggie Rogers, who was convicted of vehicular homicide for driving drunk, getting in a crash and killing three people in the other car, comes to mind.

Football character means you are willing to pay the price and all that it entails to be successful within the context of the team. Has nothing to do with attending church regularly or having achieved the rank of Eagle Scout.

It works in a lot of walks of life. I've worked with some serious operators who I wouldn't want to be my neighbors but if someone's trying to shoot you in the head or you have to break down a door, these are EXACTLY the kind of guys you want with you.

Nope.

From the man himself, quoted from an interview in 2015:

“Bill Polian and I agreed when we first came together with the Buffalo Bills that we’d bring players only of high character to the team,” Levy said. “They are that. Now, we didn’t confuse that with personality. Some of them are very extroverted. Some of them are more laidback. Quiet. But they never placed blame on others. They always bounced back from disappointment. They showed up to work every day. Good family guys. Good citizens. They all cared about each other and they still do.”

He was talking about total character.

Edited by vincec

Nope.

Bill Polian and I agreed when we first came together with the Buffalo Bills that wed bring players only of high character to the team, Levy said. They are that. Now, we didnt confuse that with personality. Some of them are very extroverted. Some of them are more laidback. Quiet. But they never placed blame on others. They always bounced back from disappointment. They showed up to work every day. Good family guys. Good citizens. They all cared about each other and they still do.

There are things they said, and things they did, like signing Reggie Rogers, James Lofton and keeping Biscuit.

Nope.

“Bill Polian and I agreed when we first came together with the Buffalo Bills that we’d bring players only of high character to the team,” Levy said. “They are that. Now, we didn’t confuse that with personality. Some of them are very extroverted. Some of them are more laidback. Quiet. But they never placed blame on others. They always bounced back from disappointment. They showed up to work every day. Good family guys. Good citizens. They all cared about each other and they still do.”

Yeah, in an interview in 2015.

I'm not gonna get into a protracted debate with you on this. Believe what you will. It's silly to argue anyway. Marv talked about "football character" a lot when he was coach. Both in the media and in person at various functions. I know what I heard personally and what I read at the time.

Perhaps Marv forgot he and Polian took a chance on Reggie Rogers when nobody else would touch him. Not exactly the archetype "good family guy" or "good citizen."

So who was the most wrong all offseason long about Mario ?

Merper, JBoyst, or Scott Law.

I'm awarding co-winners to jb and merper.

Thanks for the laughs guys. Special shout out to merper's Rex was mean to Preston Brown rant.

Funny stuff guys.

where did I ever say Mario would succeed in Miami? I only gave Rex **** because he couldn't coach d last year and remember he's not calling d now. Aaaand. ... Rex should have benched Mario if he was truly that bad