Tracking the defense...

GunnerBill

I was always one who thought this season would stand or fall on whether Rex could figure the D out and get it back on track. The first 4 weeks have been largely encouraging that one disaster against the Jets notwithstanding.

So I thought I'd start a thread to track where we are week by week in the key categories.

So after week 4:

Yard per game allowed: Rank - 17th

Pass YPG allowed: Rank - 17th

Rush YPG allowed: Rank - 13th

Points per game allowed: Rank - 6th

3rd down %: Rank - 10th

Sacks: Rank - 3rd

Takeaways: Rank - 5th

• Replies 141
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Top Posters In This Topic

Key Categories

Points Per Drive: 10th

% of drives ending in scores: 9th

More advance stats and I believe they generally are better indicators of where a defense is at.

Good call. Happy to include. Is there a site where I can easily track this info to include each week?

Key Categories

More advance stats and I believe they generally are better indicators of where a defense is at.

Our numbers in these categories from 2014 was insane. I think top 3 IIRC for both (might've been higher)

So after week 5:

Yard per game allowed: Rank - 15th (Up 2)

Pass YPG allowed: Rank - 17th (Unchanged)

Rush YPG allowed: Rank - 13th (Unchanged)

Points per game allowed: Rank - 5th (Up 1)

3rd down %: Rank - 11th (Down 1)

Sacks: Rank - 4th (Down 1)

Takeaways: Rank - 2nd (Up 3)

Points Per Drive: Rank - 9th (Up 1)

% of drives ending in scores: Rank - 11th (Down 2)

Edited by GunnerBill

I was always one who thought this season would stand or fall on whether Rex could figure the D out and get it back on track. The first 4 weeks have been largely encouraging that one disaster against the Jets notwithstanding.

So I thought I'd start a thread to track where we are week by week in the key categories.

So after week 4:

Yard per game allowed: Rank - 17th

Pass YPG allowed: Rank - 17th

Rush YPG allowed: Rank - 13th

Points per game allowed: Rank - 6th

3rd down %: Rank - 10th

Sacks: Rank - 3rd

Takeaways: Rank - 5th

The biggest one for me (besides the Points per game) is the 3rd down efficiency....This was quite bad against the Jets, but pretty big the last few weeks.

Key Categories

No one stat can tell the whole story but 'points per drive,' IMHO, is the best indicator of a D's true performance.

As for individual stats, I'm thrilled to see Zach Brown lead the NFL in tackles and Lorenzo Alexander lead in sacks. Who would have thunk?

The biggest one for me (besides the Points per game) is the 3rd down efficiency....This was quite bad against the Jets, but pretty big the last few weeks.

You're right, it was not a good game against the Jets. But Fitz was on fire. I've never - before or since - seen him throw with that kind of accuracy. He was something like 9 of 10 on so called 50-50 throws and frequently putting it where the DB couldn't make a play.