Lorenzo Alexander proving the Bills were right...

Big Turk

One player who comes to mind is Steve Tasker who while a tremendous special teams player (Like Alexander) was finally given a chance to play some offense late in his career and provided some quality production. He did not have a catch before age 30 and averaged 17.7 yards per catch at 33. Maybe it is possible to be too good on special teams to the point that you never get opportunites to be a regular

• Replies 202
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Top Posters In This Topic

When it comes to stocking the front 7......Whaley and the Pegula's need to learn to restrain Rex.......given the opportunity he will draft a DL or LB first every year even though he can get the same results from other teams castaway free agent vets.

Rex only provides input and does not determine who Bills draft but you posted that lie anyways. Never tell the truth when a lie will be a bigger impact seems to be your motto.

Agreed, I saw plenty of mocks with Shaq going before us, or to us. And I saw quite a few with Reggie going first round too, but not as high as #19 I don't think. I think all of the NFL.com analysts had him going to Green Bay at 27.

There is a reason they are called mock - you mock the people make them. Mock drafts are like team and player rankings, not worth much at all.

Rex only provides input and does not determine who Bills draft but you posted that lie anyways. Never tell the truth when a lie will be a bigger impact seems to be your motto.

There is a reason they are called mock - you mock the people make them. Mock drafts are like team and player rankings, not worth much at all.

Haha, I used the mocks because they are indicative of the general sentiment among scouts and the media about players before the draft.

Gotta love Bills fans. In a matter of a few hours, we're now convinced Lorax is about to be suspended by the NFL for a PED violation.

:doh:

And soon it will be a source for a Buffalo Snew story.

Haha, no one is being totally serious. But can anyone think of another example of football player dominating like this after basically doing nothing his whole career?

He is not at your level - he has done plenty. He was a utility player filling different roles.

Gotta love Bills fans. In a matter of a few hours, we're now convinced Lorax is about to be suspended by the NFL for a PED violation.

:doh:

I didn't say I was convinced he was guilty, I just think there were parallels with other older athletes, like juiced hitters in baseball. It is a purely anecdotal observation in light of unbelievably pleasant production from a 33 year old player.

One player who comes to mind is Steve Tasker who while a tremendous special teams player (Like Alexander) was finally given a chance to play some offense late in his career and provided some quality production. He did not have a catch before age 30 and averaged 17.7 yards per catch at 33. Maybe it is possible to be too good on special teams to the point that you never get opportunites to be a regular

Good point. I certainly don't want it to be a matter of PED's, nor did we suspect our beloved 89 of using PEDs when he was performing so well as a receiver.

At a broader level, I'd love to know if there are players who are in situations similar to Lorax's who gamble on PEDs to get that one last contract, even if they know it could cost them a 4 game suspension. Just for clarity sake...I am not saying that I think Lorax used PEDs.

Interesting and they are similarly sized. But Alexander had 9 career sacks in 9 seasons. Harrison had 58 through 9 seasons.

I don't know if I ever have seen a defensive player have this sort of career resurrection.

True but most of those sacks came in years 7,8,9. Through the first 6 years of his career he only had about 12 sacks. Had been released twice. Played in Europe...

I cant believe Harrison is 38 and still playing LB today!

It would be great if LorAx had that longevity, but I'm betting we dont see this production from him again over the next couple of seasons.

Scheme and coaching make a huge difference in player success. Look at how many players switch teams and then their play falls off; read that article by Haynesworth that was posted on the board. If Lorax were suddenly manhandling people whereas he never used to, I would say your suspicions may be founded, but we're talking about a player with a long-term injury (lisfranc) who played at a pretty good level in Washington before his injury and who feels healthy for the first time in a long time and is also coming into a scheme where LBers are put in good positions to make plays. I dunno, I feel like people who are suspicious of his success didn't see him play in Washington.

I think it is more likely his health and role matched up perfectly. He is a tweener who went from 300+ pounds down to much smaller size to play special teams and linebackers. In Rex's system even some of ex-Bills busts were able to do well.

This is much of it I think.

Scheme and coaching make a huge difference in player success. Look at how many players switch teams and then their play falls off; read that article by Haynesworth that was posted on the board. If Lorax were suddenly manhandling people whereas he never used to, I would say your suspicions may be founded, but we're talking about a player with a long-term injury (lisfranc) who played at a pretty good level in Washington before his injury and who feels healthy for the first time in a long time and is also coming into a scheme where LBers are put in good positions to make plays. I dunno, I feel like people who are suspicious of his success didn't see him play in Washington.

Thanks for the quality input.

Shame when a positive thread/ story gets twisted up.

I think all the LBs are playing unusually high (see what I did there ? )

to release Manny Lawson...hard to imagine Lawson having a bigger impact than Alexander who has been very good rushing the passer and also active stopping the run as well...

What a pleasant surprise from a guy expecting to be a role player and key Special Teamer.

Alexander leading the team in sacks and seems to be getting constant pressure off the edge and even up the middle at times...

Another key LB pickup by Whaley along with Zach Brown

I don't know if he can keep it up, but seven sacks in five games, along with Hughes' four are sure nice!

I mentioned in the tracking defense thread, but it seems appropriate here. Buffalo Rumblings has given LorAx a negative pass rush grade through 5 weeks???? WTF do you want from him, or am I just missing something?

http://www.buffalorumblings.com/2016/10/12/13251998/bills-rams-lesean-mccoy-tyrod-taylor-lorenzo-alexander-rumblings-bills-grades-week-5