Best/Worst Concerts You've Ever Seen

• Replies 152
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Top Posters In This Topic

Memorable in a great way ELP at Rich Stadium in 1974. Lynryd Skynyrd opened and they were great. James Gang was the second group. ELP was awesome.

Quadrophonic speakers in each corner of the end zones.

Memorable in a bad way.. Bob Dylan in Charleston WV 2003. Sound system was terrible which added to the singing / mumbling of Bob Dylan. Ugh

Memorable in a great way ELP at Rich Stadium in 1974. Lynryd Skynyrd opened and they were great. James Gang was the second group. ELP was awesome.

Quadrophonic speakers in each corner of the end zones.

Memorable in a bad way.. Bob Dylan in Charleston WV 2003. Sound system was terrible which added to the singing / mumbling of Bob Dylan. Ugh

I am jealous you got to see ELP in 1974! Must have been totally cool.

Have you seen this video? It's one of my favorites.

Best: Toss up between Macca in Albany (2014), Roger Waters doing The Wall at MSG (2010) and Jane's Addiction at Brandeis University (indoor track) (1997 Relapse Tour).

Worst: Night Ranger opened up for Journey in Saratoga (2011). It's not even a contest. They were horrible and I've seen some bad ones ... but this was the worst.

Best: Toss up between Macca in Albany (2014), Roger Waters doing The Wall at MSG (2010) and Jane's Addiction at Brandeis University (indoor track) (1997 Relapse Tour).

Worst: Night Ranger opened up for Journey in Saratoga (2011). It's not even a contest. They were horrible and I've seen some bad ones ... but this was the worst.

"You're motoring...what's your price for flight"

LOL

That will be in my head all day now.

Journey after Thorogood and before the Stones was the only time I ever saw a band literally booed off the stage.

Thorogood was epic, playing in those conditions. No one was in the mood for any Journey, not at all.

I remember another one, Blue Oyster Cult with Blotto opening in1982. I had never heard any Blotto tunes, but I thought they were from WNY and I heard they were pretty good... so I pumped them up with everyone that was going, "Cult & Blotto from Buffalo, gonna be a great show!" Well, BOC are always great, but Blotto was horrible, embarrassingly bad. For weeks after that show, whenever anyone would see me, they'd say "Hey Blotto, how's it going?" :lol:

Edited by Rico

Thorogood was epic, playing in those conditions. No one was in the mood for any Journey, not at all.

I remember another one, Blue Oyster Cult with Blotto opening in1982. I had never heard any Blotto tunes, but I thought they were from WNY and I heard they were pretty good... so I pumped them up with everyone that was going, "Cult & Blotto from Buffalo, gonna be a great show!" Well, BOC are always great, but Blotto was horrible, embarrassingly bad. For weeks after that show, whenever anyone would see me, they'd say "Hey Blotto, how's it going?" :lol:

I remember Blotto - never saw them, but always liked them. Who wouldn't like "I wanna be a lifeguard"? Blue Oyster Cult - I've seen them 21 times over the years. They rank among my very favorites.

Worst - "It's a Beautiful Day" :thumbdown:

Best - The Allman Brothers Band - They opened for BB King at an early 70s concert at St John Fisher. They only had two albums out at the time. Kicked Royal Azz! Though Johnathan "One-hit-wonder Sunshine Came Today" Edwards was the actual opener. That could be tied for worst!

I remember Blotto - never saw them, but always liked them. Who wouldn't like "I wanna be a lifeguard"? Blue Oyster Cult - I've seen them 21 times over the years. They rank among my very favorites.

Went to the same school as the drummer in Blotto. Played in a band with his brother. They were actually from Albany. The drummer still promotes them on FB. Their claim to fame was their video (I Want to be a Lifeguard) aired on the first day of MTV.

Best: Van Morrison in SF. As soulful as you would think it would be and more. Famous for watching the clock, he cast aside his self imposed curfew and sang his heart out until late into the night. @

2005-7 ish.

Bugallo-Williams project 2007-Babeville in Bflo. Avant garde piano at its best.

SRV- Darien 1989? w/ Jeff Beck. 4 hour bluesfest. Stevie was amazing, as you would imagine.

Dixie Chicks 2016 (2 weeks ago) Buffalo- With apologies to the poster upthread, it was such a warm and beautiful show. Natalie sung like an angel. The girls can play too. Smiles everywhere.

Johnny Cash-Melody Fair 1993. Brought June and the whole crew with him. Epic.

Grateful Dead: 7/4/86, 3/29/90 (w/ Brandford), 3/21/90, 7/4/89, 3/19/90 etc....you get the picture. Brent kick that band in the ass before he OD'd. Spring 90 no one could touch them.

Worst: CSN Darien 1994. Just awful but the get half a pass because Crosby had his liver transplant a few weeks later. Still.....they sucked.

Thorogood rocked the rain away! Or, at least that's what he claimed. The rain definitely stopped...........I'm pretty sure Journey opened on 7/4/78 for the Stones and were pretty well received. Wheel in the Sky and all that.............But, three short years later, which seemed like a lifetime then, they were sellouts and nobody wanted that Steve Perry crap!

Thorogood rocked the rain away! Or, at least that's what he claimed. The rain definitely stopped...........I'm pretty sure Journey opened on 7/4/78 for the Stones and were pretty well received. Wheel in the Sky and all that.............But, three short years later, which seemed like a lifetime then, they were sellouts and nobody wanted that Steve Perry crap!

I remember they did the Na Na Na Na Na Na song, and everyone was either really pissed or just bumming except for this one guy in a SabresJak who was jamming to it. This drunk Canadian kept poking him in the back with a Canadian flag, but missed and ending up hitting a girl who was sitting in the face with it. She wasn't hurt, but her boyfriend got up and tried to break the flag over his knee, but he couldn't do it lol. Since Perry didn't get cold-cocked by a flying whiskey bottle, that was the only thing I enjoyed about the set.

best: pink floyd at the peace brige exhibition center. set up their own gear and maybe A crowd of 300 tops. played in Quad. and played very loud. With a full light show. did a lot if not most of ummagumma. or earlier stuff. it was unreal. if you're into that kind of stuff. you could literally stand tight in front of the band who's stage was maybe two feet off the floor. No actual seats had a fillmore west vibe.

worst: derek and the dominoes Klienhans music hall. the one and only time we considered leavng a show in the middle of it. Thankfully had seen them a few tmes earlier. This show complete with everybody. Duanne, Nicky, clapton of course were in the throes of complete heroin addiction. The saying " dialing it in" would have been a good review. Clapton sucked so bad some boos actually came from the crowd. Duanne did some nice slide but we thought he might nod off mid show. A stunningly bad show for the talent on stage.

Was at the Philly stop of that americanarama tour, blown away by wilco and mmj, like you, I left really early in the Dylan set

Best:

Foo Fighters and Black Keys (both played DC's Verizon Center) - with many a close second. Grohl is from the area and usually ends US tour in DC.

Worst:

Easy. Bob Dylan at Merriweather He traveled with Wilco and My Morning Jacket, who were great and I was looking forward to Dylan for first time. Just awful. We left.

I remember they did the Na Na Na Na Na Na song, and everyone was either really pissed or just bumming except for this one guy in a SabresJak who was jamming to it. This drunk Canadian kept poking him in the back with a Canadian flag, but missed and ending up hitting a girl who was sitting in the face with it. She wasn't hurt, but her boyfriend got up and tried to break the flag over his knee, but he couldn't do it lol. Since Perry didn't get cold-cocked by a flying whiskey bottle, that was the only thing I enjoyed about the set.

:lol::beer:

Was at the Philly stop of that americanarama tour, blown away by wilco and mmj, like you, I left really early in the Dylan set

I saw a pretty memorable Wilco show. A few years back at the Chastain Park in Atlanta, it was an absolute downpour. Wilco was really appreciative of the fans who stayed and played some extra songs. They sounded great.

best: pink floyd at the peace brige exhibition center. set up their own gear and maybe A crowd of 300 tops. played in Quad. and played very loud. With a full light show. did a lot if not most of ummagumma. or earlier stuff. it was unreal. if you're into that kind of stuff. you could literally stand tight in front of the band who's stage was maybe two feet off the floor. No actual seats had a fillmore west vibe.

worst: derek and the dominoes Klienhans music hall. the one and only time we considered leavng a show in the middle of it. Thankfully had seen them a few tmes earlier. This show complete with everybody. Duanne, Nicky, clapton of course were in the throes of complete heroin addiction. The saying " dialing it in" would have been a good review. Clapton sucked so bad some boos actually came from the crowd. Duanne did some nice slide but we thought he might nod off mid show. A stunningly bad show for the talent on stage.

What were the years of these shows?

Best: Zac Brown Band at Fenway Park August 2015. Steven Tyler made an appearance for a few songs and it was awesome. Just a great show overall and a great trip.

Many Dave Matthews shows over the years have all been great as well.

Worse: Shwayze free concert at Canisius College, 2009ish. Effing terrible from start to finish. Honestly, I wasn't expecting much from a free show in the middle of winter by a California duo but they barely played 45 mins and we're basically begging ppl in the crowd to throw them free weed.