Best/Worst Concerts You've Ever Seen

Best: The Who - 1972 (?) after release of "Who's Next. Honorable mention: The Kinks - 1980 - they brought down the house

Worst: Marshall Tucker - 2010 (?) - Marshall Tucker was a band not a person. The necessary band's lineup changes (three original members had died by then) did not include a decent vocalist. In fact, 1973's "Can't You See?", which is probably their signature song, was so bad that they held the microphone out to the crowd to sing the chorus, since they could not! It was sad.

• Replies 152
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Top Posters In This Topic

Best: The Who - 1972 (?) after release of "Who's Next. Honorable mention: The Kinks - 1980 - they brought down the house

Worst: Marshall Tucker - 2010 (?) - Marshall Tucker was a band not a person. The necessary band's lineup changes (three original members had died by then) did not include a decent vocalist. In fact, 1973's "Can't You See?", which is probably their signature song, was so bad that they held the microphone out to the crowd to sing the chorus, since they could not! It was sad.

Marshall Tucker Band recently played a free show in Albany. I heard nothing but horrible things about it.

Marshall Tucker Band recently played a free show in Albany. I heard nothing but horrible things about it.

I have very little interest in seeing the bands I grew up with. Most of these acts just have not aged well. The exception to that was the Allman Brothers Band and that was 6 or 7 years ago and I think when Derek and Warren moved on so did the band for good but who knows. If Greg can keep himself out of the hospital or rehab (not sure what his issues are) maybe they will play again.

I have very little interest in seeing the bands I grew up with. Most of these acts just have not aged well. The exception to that was the Allman Brothers Band and that was 6 or 7 years ago and I think when Derek and Warren moved on so did the band for good but who knows. If Greg can keep himself out of the hospital or rehab (not sure what his issues are) maybe they will play again.

Affordable ticket, mostly original/prime era lineup, still sound good.

Pick one, maybe two.

I'm the same way with a couple exceptions. I will always choose an elvis costello concert because he is still putting out viable music every couple of years, paul mccartney was a bucket list thing, the who was a gift from my kids and was thoroughly enjoyable show. The Dead, simply because i love the atmosphere, not to mention how john mayer, oteil and jeff c are giving them a very cool newer sound, outside of those kinds of exceptions, i love new music and love going to check out shows

I was at that Kinks show in 1980. I don't remember much about it - other than it being good. And, I figured I'd see them more in the coming years, but I don't even know if the original band ever toured after that one.

I'm the same way with a couple exceptions. I will always choose an elvis costello concert because he is still putting out viable music every couple of years, paul mccartney was a bucket list thing, the who was a gift from my kids and was thoroughly enjoyable show. The Dead, simply because i love the atmosphere, not to mention how john mayer, oteil and jeff c are giving them a very cool newer sound, outside of those kinds of exceptions, i love new music and love going to check out shows

The one and only Dead show was 25 years ago and wasn't as big a fan of the music as I am now. I love the atmosphere too but I will likely never again attend a show in a stadium or even an arena. Red Rocks was as big as I'll go and that's because I had VIP passes to park, get in and sit. I love The Fox in Oakland I can get home and in bed quicker than it takes to get out of the big venues. I also will likely only be front row now and that is almost impossible in the bigger venues. I've done that exclusively the past few years and absolutely love it! The sound is not as good for sure but the connection you have with the band that close is great.

Lot's of awesome big shows through the years. (Can't beat the Grateful Dead in Buffalo.)

That said... my favourite smaller shows would be Leftover Salmon at The Mishawaka near Fort Collins, Colorado and The Flight of the Conchords, right here in good ol' Nelson New Zealand. (Those two guys are incredible entertainers)

(A lot of crappy ones too)

Edited by Bad Things

I'm sorry I'm not sure I follow.

When going to see older, classic bands. They either:

A: Sound terrible. Can't play like they could, and certainly don't have their singing voice they used to have.

B: Sound okay, but that's because most of the original lineup is out of the band, and is basically one or two original members touring with a whole new band. Foreigner is a good example. They sound just like they did back in the day. But Mick Jones is the only original member. The new singer is about 10 years younger than Lou Graham. So it's essentially a tribute band.

C: Ridiculously expensive. Like the Rolling Stones, U2, etc.

Edited by The Real Buffalo Joe

When going to see older, classic bands. They either:

A: Sound terrible. Can't play like they could, and certainly don't have their singing voice they used to have.

B: Sound okay, but that's because most of the original lineup is out of the band, and is basically one or two original members touring with a whole new band. Foreigner is a good example. They sound just like they did back in the day. But Mick Jones is the only original member. The new singer is about 10 years younger than Lou Graham. So it's essentially a tribute band.

C: Ridiculously expensive. Like the Rolling Stones, U2, etc.

Ok I get your point now. When I saw the Allman Brothers in 2009 the only living original member that was not with them was Dickey Betts. Warren Haynes had been with them for nearly 20 years, Oteil Burbridge has been with them for over 10 and Derek Trucks had been with them for 10. They were tight and Greg's voice was still very good. They were not outrageously expensive and were only playing small venues typically 2-3k seat theaters. They my favorites of all the bands I grew up with so I'm pretty critical of their performance. They are the exception to the rules you've laid out above.

Ok I get your point now. When I saw the Allman Brothers in 2009 the only living original member that was not with them was Dickey Betts. Warren Haynes had been with them for nearly 20 years, Oteil Burbridge has been with them for over 10 and Derek Trucks had been with them for 10. They were tight and Greg's voice was still very good. They were not outrageously expensive and were only playing small venues typically 2-3k seat theaters. They my favorites of all the bands I grew up with so I'm pretty critical of their performance. They are the exception to the rules you've laid out above.

Yeah, definitely. Gregg is/was the core of the band besides Dickie, and obviously Duane. But I was speaking typically that's how classic rock bands are.

Look at Journey, they're mostly original. And still sound like journey. But it's not Steve Perry, the most recognizable part of the band.

But a perfect example is GNR. Axl has been touring with a band he called GNR for years. Playing small venues, and cheap tickets. All of a sudden he gets Slash and the gang back together, and they're selling out arenas and stadiums nationwide for hundreds a ticket. How good either incarnation was, i don't know personally, but read mixed reviews.

Yeah, definitely. Gregg is/was the core of the band besides Dickie, and obviously Duane. But I was speaking typically that's how classic rock bands are.

Look at Journey, they're mostly original. And still sound like journey. But it's not Steve Perry, the most recognizable part of the band.

But a perfect example is GNR. Axl has been touring with a band he called GNR for years. Playing small venues, and cheap tickets. All of a sudden he gets Slash and the gang back together, and they're selling out arenas and stadiums nationwide for hundreds a ticket. How good either incarnation was, i don't know personally, but read mixed reviews.

I have very little desire to see bands that have been around 30 plus years and ABB is about the only exception. Hard to believe GNR has been around that long. I remember seeing their name on the marque at the Troubadour in LA in the mid 80's and thinking "cool name". I heard Welcome to the Jungle on the radio for the first time in the car (I remember exactly what street I was on. Corner of Melrose and Roberson) and loved it. I almost hit a telephone pole at the end when the DJ said it was from the debut album Appetite for Destruction by Guns N' Roses. :o