Per KFFL, Dolphins release Fiedler

Bob in Mich

Fielder is almost the perfect option for us. He's not one to throw away games. He's smart, and he's won more than he's lost. I never understood why the Phins traded for Feeley -- it wasn't much of an upgrade, if any.

Yeah, he wore the Teal and Orange. So? At least he's not a felon, like the other Felons.

If he can be signed at the right price, I'd say do it.

If Fiedler doesn't end up with his 1st choice, his hometown Jets, I wouldn't mind having him as a backup to JP if the price is right. It's not like he's going to be the starter & I think he wants to coach when he stops playing, so he'd be a good soldier & mentor to JP.

he be a better backup then most options out there, and he knows Miami

250735[/snapback]

Beating Miami isn't my immediate concern. Watching Fiedler throw in the wind, snow and bitter cold? That would be my immediate concern. Granted, he's virtually never lost when he's played us... but something about getting him a reject Dolphin quarterback kinda bugs me a bit.

I'd rather have Jack Kemp come back at 60-plus and back up JP than sign Fiedler.

Why do people around here seem to want him as a back up?

Haven't you seen Fielder play enough in a Fins' uni to know he sucks as first string, second string or the clipboard dude.

250745[/snapback]

We're talking about a BACKUP QB. Take a look at his numbers...they are not that bad for a #2....

http://www.nfl.com/players/playerpage/12363

Where does this notion come from, that Fiedler doesn't throw away games? I have a very good friend, who happens to be a die-hard fish fan, who will swear to you, that Fiedler did, in fact, lose games for the Dolphins! He was dreadful in a couple of games against the Bills, in fact!

Funny to think, what you are all saying about Fiedler, there is some fans in Dallas today saying, "Bledsoe may be getting up there, but with that arm, he will put us into instant contention..."

We're talking about a BACKUP QB.  Take a look at his numbers...they are not that bad for a #2....

http://www.nfl.com/players/playerpage/12363

250747[/snapback]

I saw his numbers and they help prove my point ---- he stinks! He has a chicken wing for an arm and that's not going to get it done in the cold, rain and snow in the Buff come November.

I'd rather have Jack Kemp come back at 60-plus and back up JP than sign Fiedler.

Why do people around here seem to want him as a back up?

Haven't you seen Fielder play enough in a Fins' uni to know he sucks as first string, second string or the clipboard dude.

250745[/snapback]

How about Fergy? He's only 50, and has tons of experience! :unsure:

No, no, no, no, no, no, no, no, no, no, no, no, no, no, no, no, no, no, no, no, no, no, no, no, no, no, no, no, no, no, no, no, no, no, no, no, no, no, no, no, no, no, no, no, no, no, no, no, no, no, no, no, no, no, no, no, no, no, no, no, no, no, no, no, no, no, no, no, no, no, no, no, no, no, no, no, no, no, no, no, no, no, no, no, no, no, no, no, no, no, no, no, no, no, no, no, no, no, no, no, no, no, no, no, no, no, no, no, no, no, no, no, no, no, no, no, no, no, no, no, no, no, no, no, no, no, no, no, no, no, no, no, no, no, no, no, no, no, no, no, no, no, no, no, no, no, no, no, no, no, no, no, no, no, no, no, no, no, no, no, no, no, no, no, no, no, no, no, no, no, no, no, no, no, no, no, no, no, no, no, no, no, no, no, no, no, no, no, no, no, no, no, no, no, no, no, no, no, no, no, no, no, no, no, no, no, no, no, no, no, no, no, no, no, no, no, no, no, no, no, no, no, no, no, no, no, no, no, no, no, no, no, no, no, no, no, no, no, no, no, no, no, no, no, no, no, no, no, no, no, no, no, no, no, no, no, no, no, no, no, no, no, no, no, no, no, no, no, no, no, no, no, no, no, no, no, no, no, no, no, no, no, no, no, no, no, no, no, no, no, no, no, no, no, no, no, no, no, no, no, no, no, no, no, no, no, no, no, no, no, no, no, no, no, no, no, no, no, no, no, no, no, no, no, no!!!

Just say NO to Monkey Boy!!!

Where does this notion come from, that Fiedler doesn't throw away games?  I have a very good friend, who happens to be a die-hard fish fan, who will swear to you, that Fiedler did, in fact, lose games for the Dolphins!  He was dreadful in a couple of games against the Bills, in fact! 

Funny to think, what you are all saying about Fiedler, there is some fans in Dallas today saying, "Bledsoe may be getting up there, but with that arm, he will put us into instant contention..."

250752[/snapback]

And why would this surprise you? A strong portion of the posters here blame Drew, and only Drew for all the woes of the Buffalo Bills. Many lesser fans of every team certainly point directly and ONLY to the quarterback.

There are people who think Henry is great and Drew sucks. This says alot.

Fiedler won lots of games for Miami before their OL and running game fell apart. He would be a perfect fit in Buffalo to back up an unknown entity in JP. Or...do you have JP penciled in for Canton, and as an immediate, full answer to what was wrong with the Bills?

And why would this surprise you? A strong portion of the posters here blame Drew, and only Drew for all the woes of the Buffalo Bills. Many lesser fans of every team certainly point directly and ONLY to the quarterback.

Fiedler won lots of games for Miami before their OL and running game fell apart. He would be a perfect fit in Buffalo to back up an unknown entity in JP.

250767[/snapback]

Well, except Fiedler looks to be a shell of the player he was 2 seasons ago - which is as big a reason as any he's hit the street.

Fiedler won lots of games for Miami before their OL and running game fell apart. He would be a perfect fit in Buffalo to back up an unknown entity in JP. Or...do you have JP penciled in for Canton, and as an immediate, full answer to what was wrong with the Bills?

250767[/snapback]

Drew was a bigger part of the problem, then the solution. For that reason alone, a 12 year vet should step aside.

As far as Jay Fiedler, I don't want him. His career QB rating is pretty close to Drew's though. :unsure:

Well, except Fiedler looks to be a shell of the player he was 2 seasons ago - which is as big a reason as any he's hit the street.

250770[/snapback]

Point taken. Now, how did Henry look as compared to 2 years ago? Like bumbling, stumbling fool, right?

Fiedler got his ass kicked due mostly to an OL that resembled the pre-McNally (and CV) Bills. Then, his great RB wigged out. Henry's OL improved a TON and he was inefficient. In fact, the team started winning just as soon as he was benched, yet he is held in SO MUCH esteem by SO many, issues of every sort not withstanding.

My point is that fans place FAR too much emphasis on the qb position. Yes, they make the big bucks, but they cannot be expected to play well with a sub par offensive unit, let alone a dumb running back falling on his ass, dropping passes, running wrong routes and refusing to block.

Fiedler, imo, would be a great fit if he comes for a semi-decent price. I think he wants to come to the jests because he is from LI, and he suspects that Pennington is shot. He might also look at JP as the big question mark that he is. He will probably go to the highest bidder imo.

I hope it is the Bills.

Drew was a bigger part of the problem,  then the solution.  For that reason alone,  a 12 year vet should step aside.

As far as Jay Fiedler,  I don't want him.  His career QB rating is pretty close to Drew's though.  :unsure:

250771[/snapback]

Drew certainly had his problems, but he is gone.

The truth is, JP played about 15 seconds and was almost killed while brushing up against a defensive back.

He MIGHT very well be a good qb, but this is not etched in stone by any means. I just think that Fiedler would offer the Bills a very solid alternative should JP get hurt or suck.

Believe it or not, both are quite possible.

look at fiedler's win loss record. by that category, he puts drew to shame.

part of our perspective on fielder comes from the fact that we've destroyed the fins for the past 3 seasons. in our heads are the INTs by clements and the sacks by schobel.

fiedler would, imo, be a good backup to JP because

1. he's smart and mobile

2. he's experienced

3. he wouldn't mind playing that role

4. he has been a winner

5. he knows the afc east

i know it would be hard for many people, since he's been a fun whipping boy for us. but boil it all down, JFiedler is just a guy with some good quarterbacking experience who is also mobile and can help JP with some of the nuances of hte pro game.

Y'all are on dope.

There is no more devastating play to a team than the pick'n'go and Jay Fiedler throws more of them than any other QB in the NFL by far.

I don't care where he got his degree, he's a congenital idiot when it counts.

Cya

I don't know where you all are getting this "he wouldn't mind playing the backup role" from. He didn't want to give up the starting job in Miami and fought for it three years in a row. He'll be looking for a place where, if he can't start, he'll at least have the opportunity to play some. He doesn't think he's done yet. (I do, though. And so do 32 NFL general managers.)

Y'all are on dope.

There is no more devastating play to a team than the pick'n'go and Jay Fiedler throws more of them than any other QB in the NFL by far.

I don't care where he got his degree, he's a congenital idiot when it counts.

Cya

250792[/snapback]

>>>>>I don't care where he got his degree<<<<<

Well, I admittedly do. :unsure:

I DO however want to give you props. At least you came up with an alternative.

This will be fun to watch, no?

If Fiedler doesn't end up with his 1st choice, his hometown Jets, I wouldn't mind having him as a backup to JP if the price is right.  It's not like he's going to be the starter & I think he wants to coach when he stops playing, so he'd be a good soldier & mentor to JP.

250678[/snapback]

I think the bills will be competing for Fiedlers services with the Jets. We will have to make a superior contract offer otherwise he goes to the jets. I think he would be the best choice for backup QB

Well, I admittedly do. smile.gif

But why, Bill? It's not a race to see who can succesfully conjugate the most verbs or who can go the deepest into a Fibonacci sequence without a calculator. It's about cunning and instincts and animal guile; and those are things you can't learn at any college.

As long as he's not a criminal, I'd much rather have some tough-luck kid who got his education in the school of hard knocks (like Losman or Batch) than some silver-spooner whose had everything handed to him and has never had to think on his feet just to save his own ass(like Fiedler or Bledsoe).

A college education is a fine thing in the real world, but it just doesn't count on the field.

Cya

>>>>>I don't care where he got his degree<<<<<

Well, I admittedly do.  ;)

I DO however want to give you props. At least you came up with an alternative.

This will be fun to watch, no?

250798[/snapback]

Dartmouth alum? Because only a Dartmouth alum would care about a Dartmouth degree...

:unsure::D:D

250767[/snapback]

I guess you missed my original point, which was it was ironic that a lot of idiots here are doing hand stands because Drew Bledsoe is no longer a Bill, yet at the same time, they just assume that some other teams cast off "couldn't do any worse than Bledsoe." I will go on the record, I think the Bills made a foolish move in cutting Bledsoe. I am not saying I think Losman will be a bomb, or a future HOF'er, I have no idea. Most of the anti-Drew fanatics seem to assume that it will be the latter.

Again, I don't know, I just hate the idea that management decided it was better for the franchise to go with an unknown, unproven player, with no significant back-up in place. If they are serious that Shane Matthews is their first choice to back-up Losman, than I think they are not really anticipating the Bills being a legit contender next season. For me, the playoff draught has lasted long enough. If people choose to blame everything that went wrong this past season on Bledsoe, than they have to give a lot more credit than he probably deserves, for everything that went right. In the end, this team was finally showing tangible progress on the field. They may again be very successful, but cutting Bledsoe was an unnecessary action, which provides the team with no salary cap releif (anything they saved will be chewed up by his replacement). I seriously doubt that Bledsoe would have been a locker room cancer, had he lost out in a open competition with Losman. Say what you will about the guy, but his reputation as a team first guy is maybe his strongest assett. Now, our most realistic options are journeymen and dreck like Jay Fiedler.

I guess you missed my original point, which was it was ironic that a lot of idiots here are doing hand stands because Drew Bledsoe is no longer a Bill, yet at the same time, they just assume that some other teams cast off "couldn't do any worse than Bledsoe."  I will go on the record, I think the Bills made a foolish move in cutting Bledsoe.  I am not saying I think Losman will be a bomb, or a future HOF'er, I have no idea.  Most of the anti-Drew fanatics seem to assume that it will be the latter.

Again, I don't know, I just hate the idea that management decided it was better for the franchise to go with an unknown, unproven player, with no significant back-up in place.  If they are serious that Shane Matthews is their first choice to back-up Losman, than I think they are not really anticipating the Bills being a legit contender next season.  For me, the playoff draught has lasted long enough.  If people choose to blame everything that went wrong this past season on Bledsoe, than they have to give a lot more credit than he probably deserves, for everything that went right.  In the end, this team was finally showing tangible progress on the field.  They may again be very successful, but cutting Bledsoe was an unnecessary action, which provides the team with no salary cap releif (anything they saved will be chewed up by his replacement).  I seriously doubt that Bledsoe would have been a locker room cancer, had he lost out in a open competition with Losman.  Say what you will about the guy, but his reputation as a team first guy is maybe his strongest assett.  Now, our most realistic options are journeymen and dreck like Jay Fiedler.

250952[/snapback]

Oh, I missed your point all right. :unsure: That was a great post.

>>>>>I am not saying I think Losman will be a bomb, or a future HOF'er, I have no idea.<<<<<

The above is my favorite sentence in it. None of us know what to evpect from JP, despite how certain the majority here are that he will be "better than Drew."

That said, I no longer stress about it. We have zero choice other than to trust the coaches and hope for the best.

Me a Dartmouth alum?  :D Afraid not. They do however have so much of my money that if I sat down to add it up, I would burst out in tears.

Btw, that was a good one.  :D

250974[/snapback]

Nah, I'm just busting balls, of course. Dartmouth is a fine college. Congrats to your child/children (I'm assuming?) for getting in such a school.

Now Brown, on the other hand... :unsure: