A Few Observations about the game (A Tribute to BillFromNYC)

Virgil

1 - This was the first game I've seen in a long time where they came out ready to play. The first offensive series gave me a scare with a punt, but Woods did get held and I think he scores a TD if he wasn't. He had the guy beat by a step and that hold caused him the 1-2 steps he needed.

The team was fired up on defense out the gate and the Bills offense kept it going. Good job to Lynn and Rex for getting them ready

2 - Felton. I can't stress this enough. Felton was HUGE in this game. On all of the replays, he was right there making blocks for McCoy and they were big blocks. It was great to see us utilize him.

3 - TT looked comfortable. Yes, that read option pitch was almost a nightmare and his passing totals weren't huge. But after that first long run, you finally saw him making those short passes he's been missing. He was accurate, he made some throws over the middle. He wasn't great, but he was so much better than the first two weeks. I'm taking is as a sign of progress. Not done with him yet.

4 - Paradise waits, on the crest of a wave, her angels in flames.

She has no pain, like a child she is pure, she is not to blame.
Poised for flight, wings spread bright, spring from night into the sun.
Don't stop to run, she can fly like a lie, she can't be outdone.

Tell me the cost; I can pay, let me go, tell me love is not lost.
Sell everything; without love day to day insanity's king.
I will pay day by day, anyway, lock, bolt and key.
Crippled but free, I was blind all the time I was learning to see.

Help on the way, well, I know only this, I've got you today.
Don't fly away, cause I love what I love and I want it that way.
I will stay one more day, like I say, honey it's you.
Making it too, without love in a dream it will never come true.

5 - I made a post before the game about how others needed to step up in wake of all the injuries and that they did. O'Leary had a great catch, Powell came up big a few times. White was huge in place of Darby. Can't say enough good things

6 - Carpenter needs to get it together. We can't afford these misses. I love him for 50+ yarders, but he's got to be more consistent on the extra points and short yardage kicks. Those can be such momentum killers

7 - MVP - Hughes. Just been a monster this season and really stepping up without Dareus.

Runner up - Gilmore definitely bounced back and was happy to see it. Took advantage of Palmer being in catch-up time, was patient, and jumped on the plays when they unfolded. His INT was a great catch.

8 - Fans are another MVP. There were parts of the stadium that never sat down. I've said it before and I'll say it again; best true fans in the league

9 - McCoy. I don't know if it's a slight to Roman or if he just fed off the energy, but this man was running hard today. He looked like the man we traded for and you could see the fight in his eyes. More importantly, he was having fun out there.

10 - Rex. I have to give credit where it's due. You handled business today. Others may question how we played softer in the 4th quarter but he played the odds, our lead, and the clock. When he did blitz in the 4th, it was effective. The only play where I lost my mind was the time-out before the delay of game. But they turned around with a great blitz and killed that drive. So, I apologize for the thoughts in my brain.

On to New England for a critical game. 2-2 would be a decent start for us heading into this season. Not the games I would have picked to win, but I'd take it. Enjoyed the Shoutbox and look forward to a week with a check in the win column.

Go Bills

Edited by FireRex

• Replies 86
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Top Posters In This Topic

1 - This was the first game I've seen in a long time where they came out ready to play. The first offensive series gave me a scare with a punt, but Woods did get held and I think he scores a TD if he wasn't. He had the guy beat by a step and that hold caused him the 1-2 steps he needed.

The team was fired up on defense out the gate and the Bills offense kept it going. Good job to Lynn and Rex for getting them ready

10 - Rex. I have to give credit where it's due. You handled business today. Others may question how we played softer in the 4th quarter but he played the odds, our lead, and the clock. When he did blitz in the 4th, it was effective. The only play where I lost my mind was the time-out before the delay of game. But they turned around with a great blitz and killed that drive. So, I apologize for the thoughts in my brain.

This is my major beef against Rex. At times, he seems to have a great, effective game plan and the team looks sharp - ready to play and fired up.

At other times, he seems to have nuttin' and the team is either over-amped and out of control, or downright, pardon the word, flaccid.

A team can't win consistently in this league with that kind of bipolar head coaching. Rex needs to put the same degree of effort into the game plans for every opponent and the team needs to prepare the same way every time and come out focused and high-energy, but not over-amped.

Edited by Hapless Bills Fan

Only thing I'd really disagree with is #3. TT didn't look comfortable. He panics when there is no reason to panic.

A slight quibble with MVP, I'd give it to Gilmore.

Otherwise spot on, nice job!

I sure wish there was a way to determine if it was a Lynn instead of Roman thing.

There seemed to be more short passes. The read option/sweep was working. Fullback blocking was better.

Coincidence?

We did see a slant today. My eyes popped open.

We did it boys. My friends from Maryland all became fans today. Six of them. Thanks Bills. They were so impressed by the noise and the passion.

Are you mad at your friends? Did they not pay you back on a loan?

Why would you do this to them? We don't know any better.

One thing I saw in this game is we had a decent punt return and there was no flag on it. I wasn't sure that was even legal until today.

Same thing with some mid to long runs. Every time Shady broke into the secondary I expected a flag.

Yeah if a dlineman is going to get a penalty, I want that penalty to be him ripping the qbs head off.

Not on 3rd and 15 after a sack in a game where their O couldn't get out of their own way. I'd prefer an encroachment on that one.

Only thing I'd really disagree with is #3. TT didn't look comfortable. He panics when there is no reason to panic.

A slight quibble with MVP, I'd give it to Gilmore.

Otherwise spot on, nice job!

We did see a slant today. My eyes popped open.

No Sammy and a few drops. Almost 100 on the ground.

Not at all ideal, but he played like a winner. Set up some nice plays with the zone read as well.

We were lining up a ton faster, and it definitely helped