Rex Told Lynn That Lynn Would Be The Next Head Coach

birdo67

• Replies 172
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Top Posters In This Topic

I really doubt you could find a single coach in the NFL who thinks that way or would admit that even to his inner circle of coaches even if he did. These guys (head coaches) just don't think that way. The average person might think that way a lot of the time but head coaches in the NFL don't think that way. It is a defeated loser mentality.

If they thought like that, I can assure you, they would never achieve the level of success required to even reach the position of head coach. They would have been run out of the NFL with their loser mentality way before achieving head coach status in any organization.

Leaders don't think like that. They don't dwell on and plan for their own demise. They focus on winning under whatever circumstances they are given. They play with the cards they are dealt. Head coaches in the NFL are the ultimate competitors. That is how they get to that pinnacle in their career. If you don't want to win with every inch of your human being and you don't believe you can do it, then you would never climb the ranks of the NFL to achieve head coach status. You would never make it past assistant and eventually your piss poor attitude would get you fired and weeded out of the NFL.

Winning attitudes is what gives coaches the charisma, confidence and leadership skills to get someone to pay them millions of dollars per year to be the top coach in their football organization. Their attitudes are what inspires other coaches to join them and work for them.

You might find a coach who is mentally defeated at some point, but it sure as hell isn't going to be during an off season when they are preparing for an upcoming season. It is going to be at the end of a game when they are getting beaten badly. And that attitude will last for about 24 hours at most. Then they get their **** back together and focus on winning again. A head coach might also get mentally defeated towards the end of a season where they have lost almost every game. It definitely isn't going to be during the off season leading up to a football season, even with the injuries and suspensions the Bills have faced.

Even if you think Rex is a loser and you hate the guy and think he is a pile of crap (not saying you think that way - just saying for those people who do think he is), I can assure those people he doesn't have a loser mentality and especially didn't have one while he was preparing to coach this team during this past off season.

If he did have that mentality, Pegula and Whaley would have fired him by now. No way they would let that stand. And they would know if that was his attitude. You can't hide a loser mentality. It shines through. I am completely convinced that they decided to hire him because of his winning attitude and winning mentality.

I'm just going to say, remember Bobby Petrino in Atlanta?

I realize that this is my first post ever, so it will be taken with an extra large grain of salt, and I completely understand that.

And I can't reveal my source, but this comes from someone with knowledge of the conversation -

During this most recent off-season, Lynn had been interviewing with other teams, looking to move up the offensive coaching ladder. Rex was aware of these interviews, and he called him in for a chat. He basically said, "Look, I'm not going to stop you from interviewing with other teams. But trust me, you want to stay here. This will be my last year, and the Pegulas love you. You're going to be the next Head Coach of the Buffalo Bills."

That wouldn't have made much sense at the time, but after the start to this season, and after Roman getting fired, it's starting to look a lot more likely. So why would Rex assume or even know this would be his last year? Did the Pegulas really give him that ultimatum that we heard about? Did Rex never plan to finish out his 5-year contract in the first place?

Maybe Rex will be fired during or after this season, maybe not. Maybe we'll get another big name coach to replace him, maybe not. But if Anthony Lynn is named the next Head Coach, whether it's interim or long-term, we'll know that Rex was ready for all of this months ago.

Calling BS on this, Rex always believes in Rex just ask him.

I truly believe that Rex told Lynn if he stayed, he could be the next coach. Not that he *will* be. I believe he told him that because he is well thought of within the organization and around the league, and because he thinks he can do the job. I think he also told him that so he wouldn't leave to take an OC job somewhere else.

I also think that he thinks this will be his last year. Lots of signs. I don't think he will get fired during the season no matter what. I don't even know if he will he fired after the season. But something about him this year - could be the death of his dad, could be something else - is different. And if he's not fired I think he steps away from coaching.

Just my two cents, no inside info.

Edited by YoloinOhio

I really doubt you could find a single coach in the NFL who thinks that way or would admit that even to his inner circle of coaches even if he did. These guys (head coaches) just don't think that way. The average person might think that way a lot of the time but head coaches in the NFL don't think that way. It is a defeated loser mentality.

If they thought like that, I can assure you, they would never achieve the level of success required to even reach the position of head coach. They would have been run out of the NFL with their loser mentality way before achieving head coach status in any organization.

Leaders don't think like that. They don't dwell on and plan for their own demise. They focus on winning under whatever circumstances they are given. They play with the cards they are dealt. Head coaches in the NFL are the ultimate competitors. That is how they get to that pinnacle in their career. If you don't want to win with every inch of your human being and you don't believe you can do it, then you would never climb the ranks of the NFL to achieve head coach status. You would never make it past assistant and eventually your piss poor attitude would get you fired and weeded out of the NFL.

Winning attitudes is what gives coaches the charisma, confidence and leadership skills to get someone to pay them millions of dollars per year to be the top coach in their football organization. Their attitudes are what inspires other coaches to join them and work for them.

You might find a coach who is mentally defeated at some point, but it sure as hell isn't going to be during an off season when they are preparing for an upcoming season. It is going to be at the end of a game when they are getting beaten badly. And that attitude will last for about 24 hours at most. Then they get their **** back together and focus on winning again. A head coach might also get mentally defeated towards the end of a season where they have lost almost every game. It definitely isn't going to be during the off season leading up to a football season, even with the injuries and suspensions the Bills have faced.

Even if you think Rex is a loser and you hate the guy and think he is a pile of crap (not saying you think that way - just saying for those people who do think he is), I can assure those people he doesn't have a loser mentality and especially didn't have one while he was preparing to coach this team during this past off season.

If he did have that mentality, Pegula and Whaley would have fired him by now. No way they would let that stand. And they would know if that was his attitude. You can't hide a loser mentality. It shines through. I am completely convinced that they decided to hire him because of his winning attitude and winning mentality.

Dave, Dick Jauron is on line 3.

DJ: Dave, it's hard to win the NFL.

Edited by Cynical

I truly believe that Rex told Lynn if he stayed, he could be the next coach. Not that he *will* be. I believe he told him that because he is well thought of within the organization and around the league, and because he thinks he can do the job. I think he also told him that so he wouldn't leave to take an OC job somewhere else.

Totally believable. But not what the original poster said.

There is little doubt that Rex probably reassured Lynn that Lynn would be promoted within the ranks as the opportunities presented themselves. And I don't doubt that Rex may have tried to convince him that staying with Rex would be his fastest path to head coaching. All that is believable. Just not how it was presented in the original post.

And having said all that, then it means that the things Rex said to Lynn were a lot of the same things that probably get said to every assistant coach that has aspirations of getting to head coach one day. In other words - nothing new here at all. No story.

It only becomes a story if gets twisted into being some kind of master plan by a sinister head coach plotting his own demise where every step has been premeditated in the off season before one single game has even been played. That part is the B.S. part.

I'm just going to say, remember Bobby Petrino in Atlanta?

Yes. Nice one. He did make it to head coach in the NFL.

But the NFL weeds loser mentalities fast - less than one year for him. Dude completely cracked under pressure of a season that spiraled downward.

This doesn't make a lot of sense. Why would he bring his brother here if he knew it would be his last year?

Either he knew the bills would be awful and he would be fired - so he brings Rob, who's coaching career is seriously in jeopardy already, to go down in flames with him?

Or he plans on leaving regardless of the result because he doesn't like the power structure: again, how is that good for your brother?

Or there just isn't a lot of thinking going on...

I also think that he thinks this will be his last year. Lots of signs. I don't think he will get fired during the season no matter what. I don't even know if he will he fired after the season. But something about him this year - could be the death of his dad, could be something else - is different. And if he's not fired I think he steps away from coaching.

Just my two cents, no inside info.

I agree Yolo. He's done - he doesn't have the fire anymore. He likes being a celebrity and a jokester and he'll make a lot of money as half of The Rex and Rob Pregame Show on Fox next season.

I agree Yolo. He's done - he doesn't have the fire anymore. He likes being a celebrity and a jokester and he'll make a lot of money as half of The Rex and Rob Pregame Show on Fox next season.

Rex as an on-air personality makes much more sense than a HC these days.

It's obvious.

I'm having a hard time buying this one (no offense to the OP - rumor threads can be fun).

I agree with PolishDave that he probably said a lot of things to make Lynn want to stay with the team,

you don't want to lose your RB coach the year after being #1 in rushing. But let's think about this rationally.

If said at the time he was granting Lynn permission to interview with other teams, then we are talking pre-draft.

Pre-Buddy dying, pre-Shaq injury, pre-Ragland injury, pre-suspensions and Karlos, etc. etc. So none of that

would weigh into it.

This would mean that Rex gave up on this season back in March. I mean, if he was planning to retire then he should have done it then.

(If you're thinking of retiring, then you already have in your mind and know you don't have the drive to go through another season,

it's said all of the time in the NFL because the league year--even more for a coach than player---is a serious grind.)

On the other hand, If he did get some type of ultimatum and didn't believe he could turn it around (assumed he would be fired), then that is

even worse...going into the entire offseason with a defeatist attitude. It would also mean that he brought Rob on just to get

him a paycheck from the Pegula pockets.

You don't think the players would sense their head coach was half-way out the door,

not putting his full effort into it? What about Terry, Kim, Russ, and Doug? They wouldn't notice it and do something about it?

Hell if Rex goes down, Doug might also...you think he's going to let Rex mail the season in?

If this was said this past week, it might make sense, but back in March? No way (at least not the way presented). I can't see

Rex doing that (not caring, going through the motions, assuming he can't turn things around, etc.). I don't think its in his make-up.

If all that were true, and Rex gave up on this season before it started, then he would jump up the list to become my most hated Bills coach of all time.

But, I just don't think its true. It's more likely a game of telephone. Something was said, but what we're getting on the other end paints

an entirely different picture than what the true conversation was.

Okay, so a guy who has never been a coordinator, who never even called plays in a regular season game, is pegged to be the Bills new head coach? Because the current coach who is going down in flames said so?

Sounds legit to me.

Edited by PromoTheRobot