Bring back Wade Phillips

McD

• Replies 54
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Top Posters In This Topic

Top Posters In This Topic

There is a group of Bills fans that are enamored with old to downright elderly coaches and former executives.

Here are the ages of some guys commonly discussed on the board:

Wade Phillips (69)

Bill Cowher (59) (Out of the league since 2006)

Bill Polian (73) (Out of the league since 2011)

Ernie Acorsi (74) (Last full time job was in 2007)

Marty Schottenheimer (72) (Last coached in 2007)

Tom Coughlin (70)

Joe Banner (63)

Carmen Policy (73) (retired from the NFL in 2004)

Pete Carroll is the league's oldest coach at 65.

Shouldn't the discussion about any new blood in the front office or on the field be solely focused on men and women who have been successful in the current construct of the game and the league?

He NEVER should have left!

I support Rex 100%, but I also totally agree with the above.

Wade is an example of the proverb - Be careful what you wish for, you just might get it. I supported Wade back then while his detractors pointed out things like he did not wear a headset. Those were fund times then as well.

As an aside, we have some very good friends who lived on the same street as Wade. Scotty Bowman also lived on the same street. By all accounts, Wade was one of the nicest guys anyone could meet. I met him a couple of times and he was great. He also had a great sense of humor.

Wade was a great guy all the way around. As with Rex, I always thought that Wade had a great personality to be a HC of the Buffalo Bills (southern accent and all).

No way the Son of Bum comes back here

I asked him myself when he came to London whether he'd have been interested in the DC job here when Pettine left late in the hiring season. He said he loved it in Buffalo and would have been happy to talk to them....

He then added "my wife has spent the day in Harrods I need a job!"

Edited by GunnerBill

The only beef I have with Wade is that he waited until after Ralph died to reveal that Ralph made him start Scrub Johnson over Flutie in Nayshveel. Wade should have told Ralph to shove it and made Ralph fire him if Ralph wanted Johnson. Then Wade fires Bruce DeHaven after the Music City Forward Pass, but only a year later, Wade's conversion to a vertebrate complete, he sticks up for his buddy Pump-It-Up Ronnie Jones, so Ralph fires Wade. Absolutely incomprehensible to me. I think Wade could make a good HC, but I just don't know if he has the gonads for it.

Edited by Freddie's Dead

The only beef I have with Wade is that he waited until after Ralph died to reveal that Ralph made him start Scrub Johnson over Flutie in Nayshveel. Wade should have told Ralph to shove it and made Ralph fire him if Ralph wanted Johnson. Then Wade fires Bruce DeHaven after the Music City Forward Pass, but only a year later, Wade's conversion to a vertebrate complete, he sticks up for his buddy Pump-It-Up Ronnie Jones, so Ralph fires Wade. Absolutely incomprehensible to me. I think Wade could make a good HC, but I just don't know if he has the gonads for it.

Nevertheless, Johnson did enough to win that game.

I don't mind him saying that about Ralph. Ralph was mercurial and not a good decision maker wrt football operations so that's not news.

But fwiw, if Flutie starts that game the Bills probably get shut out and possibly blown out in an avalanche of turnovers.

Even bad teams that were willing to gameplan for Flutie had completely neutralized him......shocking home losses by Flutie to bad teams were why they were on the road to begin the playoffs that year......and remember that he had imploded with 5 turnovers in the playoff loss the year before.

Wade lost his job deservedly, he was stubborn and not willing to address his shortcomings so he was never going to win in playoff football.

After not getting another HC job for a number of years he corrected *some* of his issues when he got the job in Dallas........but not nearly enough........he inherited a disciplined team and the team initially played well under him but with his inattention to detail the structure deteriorated under him and he left them with a sh*t show of mistakes like we saw last year with Rex.

He's a great coordinator, but that appears to be his depth.

Maybe he's learned from those mistakes and would run a tighter ship.......but again......70 years old.