What happened to the corners?

Commish

Say more

Rex sent 3 and 4 man rushes half the time in passing situations and had the safeties rolled down in the box a lot. Gilmore and Darby were expected to cover 1-on-1 for an eternity, waiting for a pass rush to help that never came.

When they did eventually give safety help, Corey Graham bit so hard on a play fake that Robey-Coleman was lucky he didn't give up a TD to Decker. Aaron Williams, Duke Williams and Jonathan Meeks all saw coverage snaps and were all a second late picking up routes.

Yes, Gilmore was bad. Darby was up and down. Rex/Rob/Thurman, whoever is in charge was worse. If Roman deserved to be fired, so did the moron that came up with that.

• Replies 75
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Top Posters In This Topic

What bothered me was the absence of adjustments. It wasn't working the way it was, but Wrecks just kept on.

In two years the D line has gone from the best in football to a disaster. Kyle Williams is still playing hard, but the rest? Part of the problem was fatigue. The Bills probably lost the game on the first Jets drive, when they just wore out and then couldn't recharge. I know, these are professionals who are supposed to be in shape, but any defense gets tired faster than the offense does. In years past the Bills had such depth at DT and DE they could roll out two high-quality lines. On Thursday they dressed five defensive linemen. Jerry Hughes started out great, then evaporated.

About that first drive by the Jets. They got their first, first down with a pass Gilmore couldn't break up (though he was in position). The Jets' second first down came on a third down play where Fitz was sacked, but there was a phantom holding call on Gilmore. Without that terrible call, the Bills get off the field, the D line doesn't get worn out, and who knows what happens then. Of course the real problem, Wrecks, wasn't going anywhere, just standing there watching with him mouth hanging open, so probably the result would be the same.

What bothered me was the absence of adjustments. It wasn't working the way it was, but Wrecks just kept on.

In two years the D line has gone from the best in football to a disaster. Kyle Williams is still playing hard, but the rest? Part of the problem was fatigue. The Bills probably lost the game on the first Jets drive, when they just wore out and then couldn't recharge. I know, these are professionals who are supposed to be in shape, but any defense gets tired faster than the offense does. In years past the Bills had such depth at DT and DE they could roll out two high-quality lines. On Thursday they dressed five defensive linemen. Jerry Hughes started out great, then evaporated.

About that first drive by the Jets. They got their first, first down with a pass Gilmore couldn't break up (though he was in position). The Jets' second first down came on a third down play where Fitz was sacked, but there was a phantom holding call on Gilmore. Without that terrible call, the Bills get off the field, the D line doesn't get worn out, and who knows what happens then. Of course the real problem, Wrecks, wasn't going anywhere, just standing there watching with him mouth hanging open, so probably the result would be the same.

I think this is huge. It started happening last year, and it's gotten worse. Schwartz's DL rotation was genius, and he had the players to make it work. Loss of talent plus injuries (including the missing Dareus) makes the DL poor.

I don't think this is true regarding pass defense, but against the run? Pathetic. His idea of "tackling" -- particularly when a bigger body (and that's all the Jets have) is coming his way -- is to throw himself to the ground in front of the runner in the style of a cut block. His avoidance of contact turned a few short or no gains into 6 or 10 yard gains.

He has always played this way. Did you guys just now notice.

The interference call was BS though

Not sure why some people don't see this.

The coaching and scheme on defense !@#$ing blows.

As Coach Tuesday already posted we are the New Orleans Saints of 2015 on defense. Rob Ryan is a disaster and Rex is right behind him.

Collosal mistake to bring him in as head coach and ruin a very good thing on defense.

Rob is the LBs Coach

Did I say he was? You don't think he has a strong influence on the defense?

I have paraphrased here, to be honest.

"we are the New Orleans Saints of 2015 on defense. Rob Ryan is a disaster "

I suggest you insinuated it.

My thought was he is Rex's mouthpiece and te LB Coach. LBs look much better this year. Secondary not so much.

That is Dennis Thurman, who is on his way out too. IMHO

Edited by 3rdand12

Am I mistaken, or did Duke Williams blow his inside assignment on the Decker touchdown. Watching the replay that seemed to be the case, and Darby's body language certainly seemed to point to that.

Darby was okay. Played very well down the stretch, IMO. Showed difficulty locating getting to the ball against Marshall. Gilmore was just terrible. He looked like he didn't even want to be out there. No pass rush didn't help, and finally, Fitz was near perfect in that game.

It's what happens to two of the best CB's in the league when they need to stay in coverage with no help for 40 minutes a game. No pass rush after the bit tongue and no stops on third down.

I can only wonder if this year's Bills defense will come close to how bad Rob Ryan's defense was in NO that got him fired.

thank you

You are certainly welcome.

I do what i can, as you do

:beer:

It's what happens to two of the best CB's in the league when they need to stay in coverage with no help for 40 minutes a game. No pass rush after the bit tongue and no stops on third down.

I can only wonder if this year's Bills defense will come close to how bad Rob Ryan's defense was in NO that got him fired.

Fun to consider Eh ?

Am I mistaken, or did Duke Williams blow his inside assignment on the Decker touchdown. Watching the replay that seemed to be the case, and Darby's body language certainly seemed to point to that.

Definitely looked like Darby was expecting Duke to be there. Highly doubt he allows the easy release inside otherwise.

Duke stepped up with the run fake, left the end zone wide open.

Scheme failure with no safety help and a collection of backups on the DL creating no pressure. Fitz was throwing jump balls and his WRs were bigger and making the play 1:1.

There are definitely personnel issues, but scheme is a big part of it too. The Ryan Way typically puts a ton of pressure on the CBs. Elite CBs used to be able to be effective in that situation, but current rules have made that impossible. The Ryans never adapted to the new rules. Their inflexibility, cluelessness and, quite frankly, arrogance in this regard is mind boggling.