What happened to the corners?

Commish

Definitely looked like Darby was expecting Duke to be there. Highly doubt he allows the easy release inside otherwise.

Duke stepped up with the run fake, left the end zone wide open.

Yep.

Thing is that Fitz and Gailey are known for trying to get safeties to bite.

And Fitz was on fire. Rex should have given the corners help from the inside out.

• Replies 75
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Top Posters In This Topic

No one has discussed this yet. Our "shut down" corners were a disaster. Do two good players simply have a bad game on the same day?

There's discussion on this point all over the board. The consensus seems to be that it's all Whaley's fault for drafting Smurfs at CB (who are the same size as CBs on teams with stout D) and he should be hog-tied and thrown into the nearest active volcano. Confronted with the fact that no active volcano exists near Buffalo, expert thought varies between having the Pegula's jet fly to Kilauea to push Whaley in like the apocryphal maiden sacrifice, or using the remains of the old Bethlehem Steel smelters to construct a model volcano attraction in Lackawanna, which hasn't been good for anything else since 1983. That was just before the twin 2-14 seasons. Coincidence? I Think Not.

No, seriously, two good players had a simultaneous bad day because they were hung out to dry with no pressure on the QB and no safety help over the top I could see. Rex also pretty much admitted that he didn't account for the Jets having more legit targets than Decker and Marshall.

Edited by Hapless Bills Fan

Cb were bad. They were left on an island though with the defense stacking the box like buddy ryan and not getting pressure or stopping the run.

With current defending passes rules, they would need to be magicians to look good. When "help" was provided, it came from duke willams or corey graham and they are turrible

Why is there no safety help when the best WR tandem in the league is going deep over and over? What would the safeties be otherwise occupied by....spying for the Fitz option run?

Aaron Williams isn't that great fellas. And Our CBs getting eaten up by big WRs.

Rex Defense exposed with noodle arm Fitz, not looking forward to seeing AZ and thier vertical passing game go against it. Have a feeling gonna get ugly and another ass chewing from Pegula to Rex will happen after next Sunday too.

this

rob is a terrible defensive coach, period

Why is there no safety help when the best WR tandem in the league is going deep over and over? What would the safeties be otherwise occupied by....spying for the Fitz option run?

Aaron Williams isn't that great fellas. And Our CBs getting eaten up by big WRs.

I'm not a big fan of Aaron but I think Corey Graham is a far bigger problem. Same issues plague him, only now he's last line of defense with his slow eyes.

I'm not a big fan of Aaron but I think Corey Graham is a far bigger problem. Same issues plague him, only now he's last line of defense with his slow eyes.

Maybe. Bit this "no safety help scheme" doesn't make sense. The safeties were there. The CBs got smoked anyway. They can't stay a WR one on one.

Maybe. Bit this "no safety help scheme" doesn't make sense. The safeties were there. The CBs got smoked anyway. They can't stay a WR one on one.

The front 7 handled the run really well but it seems that Rex wants to have that force defender rolled down in the box quite a bit.

Problem is, none of our safeties have the range to play single-high. Going to be real interesting with Arians & Co. next weekend.

There are definitely personnel issues, but scheme is a big part of it too. The Ryan Way typically puts a ton of pressure on the CBs. Elite CBs used to be able to be effective in that situation, but current rules have made that impossible. The Ryans never adapted to the new rules. Their inflexibility, cluelessness and, quite frankly, arrogance in this regard is mind boggling.

To sum it up in a word:

Antiquated.

Why was none of this an issue two years ago with essentially the same personnel?

I take it you're talking about safety discipline in Schwartz's Cover-2 heavy D.

There were plenty of issues in the secondary that year. Corners unsure when to pass off the vertical routes, safeties unsure when to bracket over the top.

Having a mean arse pass rush certainly helped though.

Lol plenty of issues?

When? That defense kicked the **** out of offenses. Enter Rex and you get this passive ****ty defensive play just about every week.

Not every bit of confusion led to a big play but they were there. That's the point about the pass rush, it helps to cover up some mistakes. You don't get burned for big plays deep if the QB has 2.5 seconds before his teeth come loose.

From looking at the All-22, I saw quite a few miscommunications. I did something in more detail on the other message board in defense of Stephon Gilmore because people thought he !@#$ed up when it was actually Cover-2 and the safety was late picking it up.

Jets had a great game plan and we couldn't get a good push with our DL; when we blitzed we got beat on Man and our safety's kinda stink. It is okay to have another team whoop your a$$ with a great game plan that created favorable matchups for them. Also the QB played a career game....

Why was none of this an issue two years ago with essentially the same personnel?

I'm not sure what you mean by "same personnel"? We're missing Dareus, the Mario replacement is in IR, Hughes was out part of the game, McKelvin is gone, and A Williams does not seem to be back in game shape yet.

Jets personnel on O also differ.

Edited by Hapless Bills Fan

There's discussion on this point all over the board. The consensus seems to be that it's all Whaley's fault for drafting Smurfs at CB (who are the same size as CBs on teams with stout D) and he should be hog-tied and thrown into the nearest active volcano. Confronted with the fact that no active volcano exists near Buffalo, expert thought varies between having the Pegula's jet fly to Kilauea to push Whaley in like the apocryphal maiden sacrifice, or using the remains of the old Bethlehem Steel smelters to construct a model volcano attraction in Lackawanna, which hasn't been good for anything else since 1983. That was just before the twin 2-14 seasons. Coincidence? I Think Not.

No, seriously, two good players had a simultaneous bad day because they were hung out to dry with no pressure on the QB and no safety help over the top I could see. Rex also pretty much admitted that he didn't account for the Jets having more legit targets than Decker and Marshall.

excellent post, both the humor and the reasonable opinion

:thumbsup:

you have mentioned this more than once.

I am surprised as i always considered him cerebral. Maybe a closer look by me is in order.

Blanton Time ?

The front 7 handled the run really well but it seems that Rex wants to have that force defender rolled down in the box quite a bit.

Problem is, none of our safeties have the range to play single-high. Going to be real interesting with Arians & Co. next weekend.

You mean, Larry catch every damned thing Fitzgerald ?

Jets had a great game plan and we couldn't get a good push with our DL; when we blitzed we got beat on Man and our safety's kinda stink. It is okay to have another team whoop your a$$ with a great game plan that created favorable matchups for them. Also the QB played a career game....

yes Fitz was out of his head.

credit goes to Gailey for staying on the gas

After watching the All-22, I don't know that Rex could have dialed up a worse scheme in the second half.

He committed only 3 pass rushers on about 75% of second half snaps, never sending more than four, and combined that with rolling up his safties to an underneath zone, putting both Darby and Gilmore on isolated islands with very talented receivers who had them by about 5-6 inches in height and 35 lbs in weight.

Darby and Gilmore are more than good enough to shut that down for 3 or so seconds because they are both freakishly physical and athletic, but because of the scheme Rex ran out there, they were routinely asked to lock down Marshall and Decker for 5-7 seconds, affording a completely unmolested Fitz to lob them "go get it" ball after "go get it" ball. And the Ryan "brain trust" never adjusted.

Rex must have had the entire Jets offense in his Fan Duel team. It's the only reason I can come up with that he would toss out what he did.