What happened to the corners?

Commish

• Replies 75
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Top Posters In This Topic

If you can't tell; I am furious with him. His behavior has hurt the team more than anyone else...

Im not trying to be combative but I don't know if I can hold a nose tackle responsible. The mismanagement of Mario and Manny amongst others got us here. This 34 46 bs also did us in. We have had how many do overs and gimmes and now we have this crap. Dareus is a pass rushing dt. Him along with mario kyle and Jerry put fear in EVERYONE'S heart. Instead break all that up. Draft a edge guy with a bum shoulder and ragland who was just bad luck. Couple that with a long haired brother a do nothing DC and ta daaaaaa!!! Dareus is so low on my list of this defense i cant stand it

Not sure why some people don't see this.

The coaching and scheme on defense !@#$ing blows.

As Coach Tuesday already posted we are the New Orleans Saints of 2015 on defense. Rob Ryan is a disaster and Rex is right behind him.

Collosal mistake to bring him in as head coach and ruin a very good thing on defense.

This is the nutshell

Im not trying to be combative but I don't know if I can hold a nose tackle responsible. The mismanagement of Mario and Manny amongst others got us here. This 34 46 bs also did us in. We have had how many do overs and gimmes and now we have this crap. Dareus is a pass rushing dt. Him along with mario kyle and Jerry put fear in EVERYONE'S heart. Instead break all that up. Draft a edge guy with a bum shoulder and ragland who was just bad luck. Couple that with a long haired brother a do nothing DC and ta daaaaaa!!! Dareus is so low on my list of this defense i cant stand it

No its fine and all good :thumbsup: . I'm a bit past that now that everything else has happened. His pass rush presence was definitely felt and could have helped a bunch when we decided to no longer blitz. Overall yeah I agree - it is all bad

No ball skills.

Pass rush wouldn't have helped; fitz was releasing the ball fast. Just chucking it up into single coverage and the corners couldn't outplay the WR.

Exactly. Even double covered.

Maybe they were overachieving at avoiding PI penalties.

Edited by jethro_tull

I take it you're talking about safety discipline in Schwartz's Cover-2 heavy D.

There were plenty of issues in the secondary that year. Corners unsure when to pass off the vertical routes, safeties unsure when to bracket over the top.

Having a mean arse pass rush certainly helped though.

Also everyone is a few years older. And have had some major injuries.

The front 7 handled the run really well but it seems that Rex wants to have that force defender rolled down in the box quite a bit.

Problem is, none of our safeties have the range to play single-high. Going to be real interesting with Arians & Co. next weekend.

I noticed a lot of single high played by the Jets as well. I can not believe we didn't launch more balls to goodwin or sammy.

Also everyone is a few years older. And have had some major injuries.

That's what everyone tends to forget. I don't know how many times I've read "if we just went back to Schwartz's defense everything would be o.k." Kyle Williams was still a force of nature then. Dareus was at his peak (big interior defensive lineman don't weather well). Mario still cared and was still a huge disruptive force. In retrospect, there was incredible depth on the D line too -- Schwartz's A team was great, and he kept them fresh by rotating in a B team that was better than the starters on a lot of other teams. And the linebacker corps is hugely depleted (and unfortunately the rookies didn't replenish it due to injury). It isn't so easy to say, "just abandon Rex's schemes and go back to what worked." That ship has sailed. Rex did screw it up royally last year, but the personnel just ain't what it used to be either.

Scheme failure with no safety help and a collection of backups on the DL creating no pressure. Fitz was throwing jump balls and his WRs were bigger and making the play 1:1.

Not to mention poor safety play. It was not just "no help".

@cover1eturner

ICYMI: Check out why the #Bills DBs struggled and what RR tried to do to slow the #jets down #billsfanatics

https://t.co/OyrqBw7p6T

Eric Turner provides consistently good analysis so thanks for the link, AGAIN, 26.

After reviewing a bunch of All 22 and other tape of the game, I've decided to just tip my hat to Gailey, Fitz, and the rest of the Jest offense. Especially Fitz, whose recognition was key to what they did in their passing game all night long. Sometimes you gotta tip your hat to the opponent instead of stewing over how much you suck. It's better for the soul.