Rbs poor pass blocking

Bocephuz

• Last year Shady was surprisingly consistent and stout in picking up the blitz and giving the qb an extra second. I had him pegged as a Prima Dona but I was wrong as he was pretty tough last year in blitz pickup.

• Now on to 2016:

• If you watch the All 22 of this game he was generally inconsistent and weak in picking up the blitz

Here's an example from q1 - This is a crucial 3rd and 6

57 is the free man .. and it's fairly obvious that he is Shady's responsibility for blitz pick up.

a8drHBI.png

57 dips under Shady's whiffed block attempt and gets right in Tyrod's face..

WA35Erh.png

99 Jernigan ultimately gets the sack here. Mainly..because Wood slips off of 99 to pick up 54 who is blitzing.. and Incognito doesn't stay with 99 allowing him a free path to the QB

Regardless.. even though Shady wasn't directly responsible for the sack.. him not picking up that block on 57 hurt

_____

Here's offender # 2.. Reggie Bush

21 is the free man coming on a corner blitz... Bush is lined up to at least give him a chip before releasing into the flatlM08hZP.png

Any self respecting team oriented RB would at least give a little chip here to buy his QB a second... but not California Reggie... Ole... he actually purposefully avoids the CB ompletely before releasing into the flat

8RpDp8H.png

The end result was Tyrod athletically avoiding the sack from the untouched CB and having to make an awkward throw to Reggie and his nice clean uniform... that went incomplete.

At the end of the day Tyrod clearly had an off day .. but his RBs could have helped a little more in pass protect that's for sure

___ ___________

On the positive side.. here's a great shot of Robert Woods giving up his body blocking for Shady on a sweep play. Atta boy RW!

sq5OoB7.png

Yet another example... Shady has a blitzing LB lined up....

vBlcLmn.png

and rather than manning up and taking the block head on.. he dives at the ankles.. whiffs and luckily Tyrod spun away from this guy and hit Clay

f37BQru.png

And here's example # 3 of Shady missing a block...

Crucial 3rd and 2 in Q3. Roman calls a QB run left with Shady as lead blocker

dvULGzi.png

Again.. Shady dives for the ankles and whiffs on the CB who hits TT behind the line forcing a punt

09zPGno.png

Edited by Bocephuz

Saw the Bush play during the game and couldn't believe it. he actually went out of his way to avoid the blitzer!

I am usually pretty even keeled.. but I would cut him right then and there in the film room after seeing that. That is the definition of being selfish. Once Jonathan Williams comes back we don't need Reggie anyway.

Reminds me a little bit of the infamous JJ Watt pick 6 where Chandler and Freddy both avoided chipping Watt.

Last year Shady was surprisingly consistent and stout in picking up the blitz and giving the qb an extra second. I had him pegged as a Prima Dona but I was wrong as he was pretty tough last year in blitz pickup.

Now on to 2016

If you watch the All 22 of this game he was generally inconsistent and weak in picking up the blitz

here's an example from q1

This is a crucial 3rd and 6

57 is the free man .. and it's fairly obvious that he is Shady's responsibility for blitz pick up.

a8drHBI.png

57 dips under Shady's whiffed block attempt and gets right in Tyrod's face..

WA35Erh.png

99 Jernigan ultimately gets the sack here. Mainly..because Wood slips off of 99 to pick up 54 who is blitzing.. and Incognito doesn't stay with 99 allowing him a free path to the QB

Regardless.. even though Shady wasn't directly responsible for the sack.. him not picking up that block on 57 hurt

_____

Here's offender # 2.. Reggie Bush

21 is the free man coming on a corner blitz... Bush is lined up to at least give him a chip before releasing into the flatlM08hZP.png

Any self respecting team oriented RB would at least give a little chip here to buy his QB a second... but not Pretty Boy Reggie... Ole... he actually purposefully avoids him completely before releasing into the flat

8RpDp8H.png

Result was Tyrod athletically avoiding the sack from the untouched CB and having to make an awkward throw to Reggie and his nice clean uniform.

At the end of the day Tyrod clearly had an off day .. but his RBs could have helped a little more in pass protect that's for sure

On the positive side.. here's a great shot of Robert Woods giving up his body blocking for Shady on a sweep play. Atta boy RW!

sq5OoB7.png

vBlcLmn.png

and rather than manning up and taking the block head on.. he dives at the ankles.. whiffs and luckily Tyrod spun away from this guy and hit Clay

f37BQru.png

__ __

dvULGzi.png

Again.. Shady dives for the ankles and whiffs on the CB who hits TT behind the line forcing a punt

09zPGno.png

Diving at the ankles of defenders is one of my pet peeves. Only do it when they're not expecting you (rare occasion). Otherwise, just @$!#ing block the guy.

I remember seeing Gronkowski out there and totally whiff on a block and I was like oh my. Shady is lighter than last year too, wonder if that has anything to do with it. I think he lost like 10 pounds or so to try and be quicker

I don't think he's lost strength. Isn't it more about technique, anyway?

sq5OoB7.png

vBlcLmn.png

f37BQru.png

I believe the much more efficient route is to find the few good examples over the plethora of bad examples of team blocking from that game.

I don't think he's lost strength. Isn't it more about technique, anyway?

Funny enough, I just started digging into Lou Tepper's Complete Linebacking book. If you've not read it, you should.

Talking about LB's shedding with a proper base, he used to get his 10 year old to go through drills and leverage players using improper technique to show them that strength meant nothing with proper technical execution.

__ __

dvULGzi.png

09zPGno.png

That QB run one was game for me. We HAD them on that. That should've been a big gain.

This team lacks leadership. Not that these guys can't be leaders, but none of them have been around long enough to have any kind of commitment to each other. That's another thing about having a long term,"franchise QB", he can provide an identity, and set the standards for the team.

Tyrod, and McCoy...these guys feel like temps hired as foremen. Dareus should be a leader, but he is suspended for smoking weed...awesome.

That leaves E. Woods, R.Woods, and Watkins on offense, and I don't know...Kyle Williams, and Gilmore on defense. These are the guys that are supposed to shape the team, and it's slim pickin's.

None of the running backs, a position that demands heart, and self sacrifice, are leaders. Not one is a "give me the rock, and I can will this team to the endzone"-guy.

This year's team is going nowhere, and sadly I don't see much better on the horizon.

Edited by HoF Watkins