Head Coaching Candidates

yungmack

• Replies 232
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Top Posters In This Topic

I did a some searching and I don't think he gets the best guys, comparing them to Alabama an such is not realistic and other than wentz and a couple others no one is getting drafted from NDSU. If you are even a solid player are you going to go to some non FCS school?

North Dakota State 2016 Football Commits (14)

• 247Sports Composite Ranking
  • Natl Rank: 142
  • MVC Rank: 1
  • Avg Rating: 0.7507

2017 - 105

2015 - 132

2014 - 148

http://ndsu.247sports.com/Season/2016-Football/Commits

Again for 6th straight year. Best recruiting class in FCS football.

Back

FCS FOOTBALL

Ranking The Top 30 Recruiting Classes In The FCS February 3, 2016 | Updated February 5, 2016 Brian McLaughlin @BrianMacWriter

12 of 12

PREVIOUS

NEXT

1. NORTH DAKOTA STATE

NorthDakotaState-football-2015-5

Photo by Tyler Ingham, Courtesy of NDSU Athletics

RECRUITS: 26 (includes walk-ons)

GEM OF THE CLASS: DB/LB Moses Nyangacha (5-11/190)

NEXT THREE: DT Cameron Hackl, QB Henry Van Dellen, OL Ben Hecht.

THE SKINNY: Alabama just claimed its sixth straight mythical national recruiting title (depending on who you ask) and the Bison are in the same boat. It is impossible to ignore the group the Bison assembled. No matter how you look at it, this group is well-balanced, deep and talented. The linemen are big, mean and are going to improve by leaps and bounds under this staff. The skill kids, specifically Van Dellen, are full of potential. And the tiebreaker is this group of walk-ons--they are good enough to be scholarship players at 90 percent of the other FCS schools. No program in the FCS recruits for its system better than NDSU. You'd be dumb not to crown this collective as the best group in the FCS. Watch them blossom.

BEN HECHT TOLD HERO SPORTS: "There are a lot of things going through my mind right now, like what am I going to do next year when I'm nine hours away from home? But honestly I'm not worried because my new family is in Fargo.

http://m.herosports.com/news/ranking-the-top-30-recruiting-classes-in-the-fcs#12

Hyperbowl trying to make your point actually hurts it

You do this a lot

The word you are looking for is "hyperbole".

The Hyper Bowl is the game where the Super Bowl champion plays against the NCAA champion using a combination of indoor and Canadian rules to determine the undisputed champion.

Again for 6th straight year. Best recruiting class in FCS football.

Back

FCS FOOTBALL

Ranking The Top 30 Recruiting Classes In The FCS February 3, 2016 | Updated February 5, 2016 Brian McLaughlin @BrianMacWriter

12 of 12

PREVIOUS

NEXT

1. NORTH DAKOTA STATE

NorthDakotaState-football-2015-5

Photo by Tyler Ingham, Courtesy of NDSU Athletics

RECRUITS: 26 (includes walk-ons)

GEM OF THE CLASS: DB/LB Moses Nyangacha (5-11/190)

NEXT THREE: DT Cameron Hackl, QB Henry Van Dellen, OL Ben Hecht.

THE SKINNY: Alabama just claimed its sixth straight mythical national recruiting title (depending on who you ask) and the Bison are in the same boat. It is impossible to ignore the group the Bison assembled. No matter how you look at it, this group is well-balanced, deep and talented. The linemen are big, mean and are going to improve by leaps and bounds under this staff. The skill kids, specifically Van Dellen, are full of potential. And the tiebreaker is this group of walk-ons--they are good enough to be scholarship players at 90 percent of the other FCS schools. No program in the FCS recruits for its system better than NDSU. You'd be dumb not to crown this collective as the best group in the FCS. Watch them blossom.

BEN HECHT TOLD HERO SPORTS: "There are a lot of things going through my mind right now, like what am I going to do next year when I'm nine hours away from home? But honestly I'm not worried because my new family is in Fargo.

http://m.herosports.com/news/ranking-the-top-30-recruiting-classes-in-the-fcs#12

Whoever Brian McLaughlin is, I will take real rankings over some guy who thinks NDSU class is better than Alabamas , I mean seriously you are delusional if you think they are better than Bama. I like North Dakota because they are the little guy that can but if they had to play against the SECor Big Ten they would not have such a good record. It's easy to get up for one big time opponent but is is a whole other ball game doing it every week. the Big 12 is looking to expand they should join if they are so good. (I think that site is full of bugs too as my computer just about froze and was unresponsive until I closed the page)

Whoever Brian McLaughlin is, I will take real rankings over some guy who thinks NDSU class is better than Alabamas , I mean seriously you are delusional if you think they are better than Bama. I like North Dakota because they are the little guy that can but if they had to play against the SECor Big Ten they would not have such a good record. It's easy to get up for one big time opponent but is is a whole other ball game doing it every week. the Big 12 is looking to expand they should join if they are so good. (I think that site is full of bugs too as my computer just about froze and was unresponsive until I closed the page)

I said NDSU gets the best players in FCS or in other words the BEST players left after all the FBS schools get their players.

In other words like I said they are the Alabama of FCS football.

No where did I say they compete against FBS programs.

If the FCS and FBS confuse you

For the past 6 years they have had the best classes in what used to be D1AA football.

And hence their coach has the equivalent talent gap between his school and other FCS programs as Bama has with other FBS programs

So as I said he coaches the Best talent available to FCS programs

Maybe he doesnt get 4 and 5 star recruits but does get the best players at the FCS level to go there.

See this is what I said which is correct.

No it doesnt sound like ripping the Bills. But also people need to understand that NDSU does get the best players in the FCS

So.it is no different than the Big Time schools like Bama and such.

Maybe this confused you. What i was saying is at the FCS level they are no different then Bama and such that get the best available players to play for him.

Of course he doesnt get all the 4 or 5 star recruits because they tend to play FBS football. But he does get the best of whats left which is better than all other FCS programs

You guys need to forget about hiring a new head coach from the college ranks unless he has had a past winning record as a head coach previously in the NFL. Jim Harbaugh is the only one that comes to mind that I would want as HC in Buffalo.

The learning curve in the NFL for head coaches is far too large to expect even the every best college coach to succeed. Pete Carroll cut his teeth in coaching for the Buffalo Bills as a DB's coach and had two failed stinks as an NFL HC before finding success in college and the NFL. The Seattle Seahawks defense is special because of Pete Carroll as he looks for guys that fit into his system and then develops them into stars.

Right now the Pegula's might be grooming Anthony Lynn for the job to see if he can get the offense working better in the passing game to include Sammy Watkins more. By all accounts, this might have been a push to the owners from Doug Whaley who needs to see his two first rounders pay off in Watkins. If so he just screwed Tyrod Taylor's development by accelerating it perhaps too quickly and got the guy fired who had built a solid run first offense to further develop Tyrod and EJ.

Josh McDanials might be someone to look at if the Bills weren't in the same division as the Patriots as I doubt either he or Matt Patricia would take a job in that he needed to compete directly against Bill Belichick. I'd be looking at Tom Coughlin as a stop gap and Bill Cowher as the man to hire as he knows talent when he sees it and would help build a better scouting dept. Plus, Cowher wouldn't let the owners or anyone else make decisions for him.

Just my 2 cents.

Coughlin doesn't attract me at all. I was in favour of interviewing him back in 2004 when we hired Mularkey... but I don't know if he still has the energy or time to turn this around. I want a GM and HC duo who can agree on and put together a strategy to win and win consistently.... not a strategy to get in the play-offs the first year or even the second year... but a strategy for building a championship team for the longer term. If you do that and success comes earlier than you expected then great. It is the Seattle Carroll and Schneider model.

Edited by GunnerBill

Coughlin doesn't attract me at all. I was in favour of interviewing him back in 2004 when we hired Mularkey... but I don't know if he still has the energy or time to turn this around. I want a GM and HC duo who can agree on and put together a strategy to win and win consistently.... not a strategy to get in the play-offs the first year or even the second year... but a strategy or building a championship team for the longer term. If you do that and success comes earlier than you expected then great. It is the Seattle Carroll and Schneider model.

Caserio and McDaniels

What about Dave Toub? Special Teams guy, so he could bring on an OC and a DC. Not being heavily involved with either the O or the D could ease the transition to HC and the additional duties that come with it.

What I like about this type of approach is exactly what you said - they can ease the transition to HC. I get that the "trend" is hiring the hot coordinator; the problem with that is these guys want to keep doing what got them the job in the first place. These HCs are generally willfully blind and fully rely on the other coordinator to handle their business; you see this with Rex, saw it what Chan, see it on other teams as well. What happens is the entire game management aspect of being an HC is tossed out the window; poor clock management and ultimately a myopic view of the entire game is what occurs. Good HCs are usually able to transition into that type of role and oversee the entire game plan and frequently meet with the coordinators on both sides of the ball...

Caserio and McDaniels

Yep. I'd be happy with that combo and if not them then something like them. Harold Goodwin and Terry McDonough (Cardinals OC and Director of Player Personnel) is another pair I could see as a tandem.

I want a GM and Head Coach who can be in lock step. Say what you will about the Buddy and Chan era but at least they seemed to be working on the same path. Doug Whaley (self confessed fan here) has, if the rumours are true, had disagreements with both Marrone and Rex Ryan.

If it isn't a duo being brought in together then the GM has to pick the HC for me.

Yep. I'd be happy with that combo and if not them then something like them. Harold Goodwin and Terry McDonough (Cardinals OC and Director of Player Personnel) is another pair I could see as a tandem.

I want a GM and Head Coach who can be in lock step. Say what you will about the Buddy and Chan era but at least they seemed to be working on the same path. Doug Whaley (self confessed fan here) has, if the rumours are true, had disagreements with both Marrone and Rex Ryan.

If it isn't a duo being brought in together then the GM has to pick the HC for me.

My personal belief is that if Rex goes Whaley will be allowed to pick a head coach and he will try to pick somebody with Pittsburgh connections.

I'm not thrilled with Whaley, the Bills roster is much weaker this season, but I think his work in general has been average at least.

There has been a very REAL dearth of *finds*......late round standouts, UDFA's, street FA's, under radar free agents.....in the past year.

Caserio and McDaniels

You really think McDaniels in Buffalo is viable?

I think he will get his choice 4-6 jobs and would even take a tougher fix than Buffalo to not betray Belichick and bring competition to the division.

My personal belief is that if Rex goes Whaley will be allowed to pick a head coach and he will try to pick somebody with Pittsburgh connections.

I'm not thrilled with Whaley, the Bills roster is much weaker this season, but I think his work in general has been average at least.

There has been a very REAL dearth of *finds*......late round standouts, UDFA's, street FA's, under radar free agents.....in the past year.

I think he will get his choice 4-6 jobs and would even take a tougher fix than Buffalo to not betray Belichick and bring competition to the division.

I know that one of his best friends from college is there. The Pegula's also will open the wallet. He will have his choice but I'd think that the Bills are in consideration. Jacksonville or Tennessee are potentially viable options if they move on. A young, talented QB will be on his wish list.

If Whaley stays (and I am a fan of his work in general so wouldn't hate that) then he MUST have full authority over the next hire.

If Whaley stays (and I am a fan of his work in general so wouldn't hate that) then he MUST have full authority over the next hire.

I'm good with this too. I generally like the work that Whaley has done. As far as Pittsburgh connection guys, Todd Haley could resurface I suppose. Edited by Kirby Jackson

I know that one of his best friends from college is there. The Pegula's also will open the wallet. He will have his choice but I'd think that the Bills are in consideration. Jacksonville or Tennessee are potentially viable options if they move on. A young, talented QB will be on his wish list.

Yeah I know who you are talking about but he's on the marketing side, not really anything to do with football side.

I like Tyrod but the opportunity to work with Mariotta or Bortles would trump working with Tyrod by a lot....and I think he will get his choice of a job with a talented QB with 10-12 years in front of him either this year or next and he will wait for it.

Yeah I know who you are talking about but he's on the marketing side, not really anything to do with football side.

I like Tyrod but the opportunity to work with Mariotta or Bortles would trump working with Tyrod by a lot....and I think he will get his choice of a job with a talented QB with 10-12 years in front of him either this year or next and he will wait for it.

Yeah, just thinking out loud on potential teams. The Bears potentially could be another team that gives him his choice of QBs in the draft.

In these early stages my best choice would be Todd Haley. Not the players wanna be best friend kinda coach.

On a side note i got a good chuckle out Rex saying he never lost a fight because he always had his brother on his side. Find that hard to believe. They are certainly both losing the fight to obesity.

I kinda doubt these new owners will keep Whaley after not allowing him to pick the head coach in the first place. Looks like they didn't have much faith in him from the start to let him do his job.

My take is they look at what the Jets did and hire some senior consultants like Casserly and Wolf to give them input into who to hire as GM, HC or to perhaps even hire a team president of football operations and allow him to make the choices.

I also kinda doubt McDanials or Patricia would want the job in Buffalo to have to compete against ole Bill 2x a year. Plus, with no established franchise QB it might be more work involved then they want to take on.

It is true that we are a hard sell to McDaniels. But Houston was a hard sell to Bill O'Brien.... he was also likely to get his pick that year and could have waited for the perfect Quarterback situation. They got in there early and they sold themselves to him.

If we have a contact who is close to him inside our organisation then take the decision early doors that we are firing Rex and use what we have to get in McDaniels ear in November. Screw the rules. If we think the guy is the answer (and I have been mighty impressed with his work with Jimmy G) then pull out all the stops and use every little advantage we might have.

I want us to identify a guy and go and get him. Rather than interviewing 13 people like a blind squirrel looking for a nut.

Not sure how much of the Cardinals O is Goodwin but I'm very tempted by this. Spending my afternoon watching them and it's beautiful.

Not sure how much of the Cardinals O is Goodwin but I'm very tempted by this. Spending my afternoon watching them and it's beautiful.

Even though BA calls the plays I get the sense he is the kind of guy who derives pleasure from his coaches going on and having success so would impart everything he knows. I think Goodwin is largely responsible for the protection schemes, not dissimilar to Marrone in NO, but unlike Payton I can imagine BA has included him in every element of game planning and play calling.

Even though BA calls the plays I get the sense he is the kind of guy who derives pleasure from his coaches going on and having success so would impart everything he knows. I think Goodwin is largely responsible for the protection schemes, not dissimilar to Marrone in NO, but unlike Payton I can imagine BA has included him in every element of game planning and play calling.

I can't imagine Tyrod being a guy that would fit that system either. I know everyone gets giddy calling it a vertical attack but there's so much middle of field and intermediate passing. My appreciation levels for Carson Palmer and Larry Fitzgerald are going through the roof today.