Bills receiver Marquise Goodwin says he will prove doubters

VinceFerragamo

Goodwin's unexpected rise gives Bills added weapon

goodwin-9-4-story.jpg

With a short run-up to football after his unsuccessful Olympic bid, not much was expected from Marquise Goodwin. But the receiver make the most of a short window of opportunity.

Didn't expect him to make the 53 this year with so much time away from offseason work.

So how did it happen?

Goodwin points to mindset and support.

“Just proving myself right,” Goodwin said. “I don’t really believe in proving people wrong anymore. That’s wasted energy. I’d rather prove myself right. I knew what I had to do coming back. I knew I wasn’t going to have much time. I just put my mind to it and I made it happen each day. I couldn’t have done it without Rex. I couldn’t have done it without my teammates. I couldn’t have done it without my family.”

• Replies 89
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Top Posters In This Topic

Wow. Well the OP did mention "fantasy"....

Anyway, when he has been healthy, he's been a zero threat WR.

Not quite true--didn't he have like 3 long bomb TD's in limited action his rookie year? Since then, it's been all down hill, however, which his early flashes made all the more frustrating Edited by MattM

Wow. Well the OP did mention "fantasy"....

Anyway, when he has been healthy, he's been a zero threat WR.

MG certainly isn't an all-star but that doesn't mean he can't be a positive contributor and have a useful role. You may have completely dismissed him as a player but I haven't. Sometimes even when you don't play the odds you can still get a good return. Your door may be closed and locked but my door is still left open. If he doesn't work out then you move on to the next option.

Not quite true--didn't he have like 3 long bomb TD's in limited action his rookie year? Since then, it's been all down hill, however, which his early flashes made all the more frustrating

His last TD came in his 7th game as an NFL WR. He has played in 22 games and in 12 of them, he has had between zero and 1 target.

22 games of being "uncover able", yet know one, even on his own team, seemed notice.

Did he say when he'd do so?

When drafted, Goodwin was assuring us he was a football player, not a "track guy who wanted to play football"

Still waiting for him to prove that one.

His last TD came in his 7th game as an NFL WR. He has played in 22 games and in 12 of them, he has had between zero and 1 target.

22 games of being "uncover able", yet know one, even on his own team, seemed notice.

Is he supposed to throw the ball to himself? Or design plays where he's the primary receiver? The bills haven't exactly had a QB who goes through his reads before throwing the ball since he's been here. Even Orton would get rid of it quick to avoid getting hit.

If you watch the game, instead of just quoting boxscores, you'd have a better idea of why people know he's more than just the scrub you paint him out to be.

Anyone know if he and Sammy ever were healthy at TG same time and played a whole game with Tyrod? I cant remember which games MG played in last year, if any.

Very tough to cover the speed of both at once downfield.

Looks like TT, MG and SW never played together last year...

Both wrs played cin with EJ

TT and MG vs Ten but no Sammy

I guess the closest example was TT, Sammy and Harvin, which was explosive while it lasted.

Is he supposed to throw the ball to himself? Or design plays where he's the primary receiver? The bills haven't exactly had a QB who goes through his reads before throwing the ball since he's been here. Even Orton would get rid of it quick to avoid getting hit.

If you watch the game, instead of just quoting boxscores, you'd have a better idea of why people know he's more than just the scrub you paint him out to be.

You're wasting your breath. The anti-Goodwin crusaders wanted him cut before training camp started and then, when he earned the 3d receiver slot in training camp, still argue that the Bills don't know what they're doing (as if they had attended every practice and been in every meeting). The hatred on this board for a member of the Bills is downright bizarre.

If he is uncoverable, why wouldn't any OC design more plays for him to be the primary receiver?

Orton? He had no trouble finding scrub Hogan deep down in his progressions. In 11 games in 2014, Hogan was targeted 61 times for 41 catches. Goodwin, in 10 games, 9 targets, 1 catch. Maybe Goodwin was so fast that Orton lost sight of him? Or that he was always so uncovered that Orton just assumed he was an opposing defensive player?

Look, stop pretending you watched all 22 of Goodwin's games focusing on how open he was. He's a "scrub" like Hogan. A depth guy, even when healthy. Nothing more.

Nobody "hates" Goodwin--some of us just don't understand the facts behind the TSW legend of this guy as a WR in this league. It's mythical. And as with myths, when asked for proof, doubters are always told--"it's there, you just aren't looking hard enough, so you can't see it".

OK...

He's a big wild card. VERY talented, but a long shot to stay healthy.

Hopefully they can use him in ways that maximize his skill but minimize hits for a bit. I think that stringing together some games where he's productive but doesn't get killed by a linebacker will do wonders for him

He's VERY fast, but I wouldn't say he is very talented. Being fast sure helps at WR, but (as others have already mentioned in this thread) he needs to show he has the other skills necessary to be a viable NFL WR.

I know there are a lot of reasons to doubt the guy; well, actually one big reason - injuries. I am not going to say that he will not get hurt again this year, but just maybe he won't. And if he stays healthy, Goodwin absolutely cannot be covered 1 on 1.

Cover him deep, he'll catch 10-12 yarders all day (see Watkins against Revis in game 16). Defend against those short ones and he will be open long; no doubt.

The answer to sort of covering him is zone, and that's fine by me because it opens up all kinds of possibilities.

Say what you want but Goodwin is dangerous!!

im real excited to see this group altogether. Including Reggie.

Adds to the playmakers room.

like Reggie who should be used situationally, so should MG. It is just smart football.

We have enough guys who can just grind. When Bills want to threaten a defense you get LeSean and Bush on the field with Watkins and MG.

if the line can protect? This is exciting to consider.

we shall see

The 'quise hate runs deep at TBD, almost as much as TJ Graham. Except TJ actually cost the Bills games with fumbles and drops.

I don't think it's hate. It's more of a "figures" type of feeling toward him at this point. Everyone is basically just sitting and waiting for him to take a hit that puts him out for the rest of the year is all.

I personally don't care for him because he's almost as bad at tracking the ball in the air as Leodis was.

Edited by The Wiz