lol @ WGR

???

So, since he hung up on a caller on Tuesday, that anecdotally proves what? I listen to about 90 min every day on my way home. It happens maybe once a month, possibly even less. Dickerson berated 2-3 callers per hour, every hour of every day.

Callers do not have a God given right to ruin another person's radio show.

Posters get booted from here when their participation ruins the conversation for other people. I would expect the same to occur on any other platform or medium.

yes, but the stuff guys post on here is offensive whereas on the radio it's just a different opinion and instead of creating a thoughtful response he just berates the guy. in no way is the caller runing the radio show.

• Replies 135
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Top Posters In This Topic

???

So, since he hung up on a caller on Tuesday, that anecdotally proves what? I listen to about 90 min every day on my way home. It happens maybe once a month, possibly even less. Dickerson berated 2-3 callers per hour, every hour of every day.

Callers do not have a God given right to ruin another person's radio show.

Posters get booted from here when their participation ruins the conversation for other people. I would expect the same to occur on any other platform or medium.

Saying all of this with all due respect;

No, I was using that Tuesday Baltimore caller to disprove your original point, which by the way was, he has not hung up on a caller in over a year. Yet in this post you say 2-3 a month. From 0 times a year to potentially 36?

Some callers from sports talk shows can be painful to listen to, that being said, creating an unwelcoming environment will surly keep better callers away.

I understand what you're saying. What I'm saying is that 90% of the time I've heard it happen, I also would have hung up and I'm thankful to have not had to listen to the caller anymore. It also happened to me once long ago with Art Wanderer on Empire network, so I do understand how frustrating it is to wait online only to be treated poorly. (I made the point that steroids should not be penalized in professional sports during the Barry Bonds era and was yelled at and hung up on.) But as a listener today I sometimes appreciate not having to listen to someone who says something I think is completely off / ridiculous.

That's fair. I just need a break from his voice sometimes. I really don't care if the caller is suggesting playing EJ and TT at the same time, those 30-40 seconds of him not talking keep me from changing the channel.

Edited by The Wiz

FWIW, I think that I figured out why I dislike local sports talk in any market. The callers don't understand what they are watching and I am not sure that the hosts really know how to communicate. If I want to talk Bills, Sabres, Ohio State, Yankees or Pelicans I go to the message boards. The level of discussion here is so much deeper than on WGR (or any radio call in channel). I used to listen for the interviews but now you can just catch those on demand.

I do however like some of the national shows (Mike & Mike and Rusillo & Kanell). They are different types of shows. They focus more on the story than trying to analyze play. There is obviously some of that too but not nearly as much.

Not a huge deal to me since they went to new format of Murph 12-3 which is entirely football. They have local programming all day unlike some markets. They talk Bills and NFL 6-10 and 12-9. When they used to have Rome on 12-3, going to hockey hotline prior to hockey season but at start of NFL season was annoying.

Was happy to hear that that Ruben Brown is going to have a Sunday evening (or late night show, not sure what time) Bills show during the football season...it won't be the post game show, but after all that. Heard Murphy talking about it the other day...didn't say what time, just a "late Sunday Bills show"...I am thinking, after the prime-time game is over?

I know we are all Bills fans here, but I think there is a segment that really don't realize that the Sabres are a pretty big deal to Buffalo too...they aren't nationally prominent, but every bit as important to the local identity as the Bills. I really have no problem with them talking hockey, even during football season! Living in football crazed Texas, it is kind of refreshing to hear some puck talk now and again. I personally think a 2-3 hour a day show, devoted to either team, during the off-season, is kind of over-kill. There is only so much to say about the same thing, over and over and over again...

FWIW, I think that I figured out why I dislike local sports talk in any market. The callers don't understand what they are watching and I am not sure that the hosts really know how to communicate. If I want to talk Bills, Sabres, Ohio State, Yankees or Pelicans I go to the message boards. The level of discussion here is so much deeper than on WGR (or any radio call in channel). I used to listen for the interviews but now you can just catch those on demand.

I do however like some of the national shows (Mike & Mike and Rusillo & Kanell). They are different types of shows. They focus more on the story than trying to analyze play. There is obviously some of that too but not nearly as much.

Agreed. I have lived in several major markets and what I have found to be the defining difference between good and bad hosts is this;

A good host will take a lousy callers point, and make chicken salad out of chicken poo.

A lazy or blowhard host will ask, "is this why you called and waited on hold for an hour?"

Was happy to hear that that Ruben Brown is going to have a Sunday evening (or late night show, not sure what time) Bills show during the football season...it won't be the post game show, but after all that. Heard Murphy talking about it the other day...didn't say what time, just a "late Sunday Bills show"...I am thinking, after the prime-time game is over?

I know we are all Bills fans here, but I think there is a segment that really don't realize that the Sabres are a pretty big deal to Buffalo too...they aren't nationally prominent, but every bit as important to the local identity as the Bills. I really have no problem with them talking hockey, even during football season! Living in football crazed Texas, it is kind of refreshing to hear some puck talk now and again. I personally think a 2-3 hour a day show, devoted to either team, during the off-season, is kind of over-kill. There is only so much to say about the same thing, over and over and over again...

Ruben's going to have a radio show? I know he is on Channel 2 (I think) as part of their late Sunday sports show..

Listening to Paul, Mike, bulldog and sal just talk shop right now is probably the best I've heard from the 3-7 time slot.

Yeah but you can tell Schopp and Hamilton are seriously invested in the Bills being bad. Sal must feel like he doesn't get paid enough to work with those two.

Yeah but you can tell Schopp and Hamilton are seriously invested in the Bills being bad. Sal must feel like he doesn't get paid enough to work with those two.

They are for sure. I'm a pessimist most of the time but always find the positive for the bills games.

• 1 month later...

To be fair (and I'd be fine with close to 50/50 hockey / football coverage) does anyone want to hear these guys speculate about Eichel for hours before we actually know anything? Sounds like torture.

That's exactly what I was thinking.

Not sure how speculating on an injury compares to the start of an entire sports season.