UB football embarrassing loss to Albany.

PromoTheRobot

Watch it on ESPN3/WatchESPN. Bulls warm up by smacking around the cross state Danes.

You are the go to guy for UB sports. What are your thoughts on the HC and the prospects for the team this year? Whether the team regularly wins or loses will this team be palatable to watch? Over the past couple of years I watched some UB games played in front near empty stadiums. They were gut wrenching bad to watch.

You are the go to guy for UB sports. What are your thoughts on the HC and the prospects for the team this year? Whether the team regularly wins or loses will this team be palatable to watch? Over the past couple of years I watched some UB games played in front near empty stadiums. They were gut wrenching bad to watch.

The level of recruiting definitely went up with Leipold. We get actual star-rated recruits now. Look at the QB position. Grant Rohach, a senior transfer from Iowa State, and Tyree Jackson, a 6' 7" mobile freshman QB who was in demand. Is Leipold able to duplicate his amazing D3 record in D1? That's to be determined.

Attendance is pretty sad, especially when you consider a player like Khalil Mack was a Bull. (WNY'ers had no idea the #5 NFL pick was playing ball in Buffalo!) I'd like to see them play more games at New Era Field. The last time they had 26K show up. I just think the UB campus is just a black hole to most WNY'ers.

The level of recruiting definitely went up with Leipold. We get actual star-rated recruits now. Look at the QB position. Grant Rohach, a senior transfer from Iowa State, and Tyree Jackson, a 6' 7" mobile freshman QB who was in demand. Is Leipold able to duplicate his amazing D3 record in D1? That's to be determined.

Attendance is pretty sad, especially when you consider a player like Khalil Mack was a Bull. (WNY'ers had no idea the #5 NFL pick was playing ball in Buffalo!) I'd like to see them play more games at New Era Field. The last time they had 26K show up. I just think the UB campus is just a black hole to most WNY'ers.

I enjoy college ball, and look forward to watching this evening. Best of luck to this years UB team. Although I hate to be negative, the attendance issue is something that I just don't see as being fixable. Western NY is a pro sports area, and it takes time to become part of local tradition. I think people like big events, and UB football simply isn't big enough for most people. It won't ever generate the same kind of excitement that having a competitive Big Ten or SEC team in your backyard does. Even in those conferences only the top teams have truly excellent attendance. As far as playing at New Era Field I'd rather attend games on campus. Amherst is not any more difficult for most Western NYer's to get to than Orchard Park. I find watching games at smaller stadiums to be part of the charm with mid major conference college football. Even if 50,000 people attend a New Era Field game for UB the stadium still looks empty. Another issue I think UB has is the fact that the majority of students are Long Islanders. People in the metro NY area care even less about college football than Western NYer's. They're only concerned with the Jests and the Giants. I think this really drives down attendance numbers as well. Hopefully UB can find a way to build attendance, and create a more exciting atmosphere. When UB originally joined the MAC I had hopes that they would have great success that would spur a move to a major conference. I always believed that would be the only way to get people's attention. Edited by DriveFor1Outta5

UB's stadium is terrible. It was built for the World University Games many moons ago, the track around the field makes it seem like your a mile away from the action. they do draw for big time programs, when they can get them on the schedule, but not much for any other game. When they made the Independence Bowl, there were thousands that made the trip to Toronto to see the game, it was awesome. But they can't draw at home and I really think that stadium has a lot to do with it...

Starting with a Friday game on opening night of high school football season never helps boost attendance for a program that should aim to cater to WNY football fans beyond the Amherst campus. But Saturday games don't do great, either.

Another issue I think UB has is the fact that the majority of students are Long Islanders.

42 percent from Metro NY and a mere 17 percent of undergrad students are from WNY. It's a good point. There's a lot to be said for a student body that grew up cheering for the program. There's almost none of that at UB. Definitely part of the issue.

Anyway, Go Bulls! - class of '03.

Starting with a Friday game on opening night of high school football season never helps boost attendance for a program that should aim to cater to WNY football fans beyond the Amherst campus. But Saturday games don't do great, either.

42 percent from Metro NY and a mere 17 percent of undergrad students are from WNY. It's a good point. There's a lot to be said for a student body that grew up cheering for the program. There's almost none of that at UB. Definitely part of the issue.

And yet people had a schittfit when they tried to be State U of New York. I hope everyone who cried about it will be in the stands cheering for their University at Buffalo.

LATER: Well UB's season is over. Lost to FCS Albany. :doh: Like someone on UBfan.com said "Call yourself Buffalo, get Buffalo results."

Edited by PromoTheRobot

The fan support was a joke anyways.

The more I think about UB football I've reached the conclusion that I don't think this is solely a UB problem either. If any one doubts that I encourage you to google MAC football attendance. It's not pretty for any of the teams in the conference. People love big events such as the NFL and major conference college ball. Mid major football will probably never excite the masses. Edited by DriveFor1Outta5

The more I think about UB football I've reached the conclusion that I don't think this is solely a UB problem either. If any one doubts that I encourage you to google MAC football attendance. It's not pretty for any of the teams in the conference. People love big events such as the NFL and major conference college ball. Mid major football will probably never excite the masses.

^This^ UB's attendance is comparable to the rest of the MAC.

This Albany loss really stings because the school is hustling donors for a new field house. They need a couple mil to hit the target but this loss males them look so lame. The one highlight was QB Tyree Jackson. Like a Cardale Jones, he is raw as heck but you can see the potential. He's a redshirt freshman so you have time to grow him.

Edited by PromoTheRobot

The more I think about UB football I've reached the conclusion that I don't think this is solely a UB problem either. If any one doubts that I encourage you to google MAC football attendance. It's not pretty for any of the teams in the conference. People love big events such as the NFL and major conference college ball. Mid major football will probably never excite the masses.

Yep!

Last night I was in Iowa City dropping off some stuff (lax equipment, etc) for my son... The town was electric prior to today's Opening Day game @ Kinnick!

The Marching Band was marching through town on Friday night, bars were hopping place was an event... People spending money @ restaurants. It went on all night with the festivities. I texted my son today and he said the atmosphere in the city & @ Kinnick today was awesome.

Iowa drubbed who they were suppose to drub, Miami (OH).

I guess it really lends meaning to:

I=Idiots

O=Out

W=Walking

A=Around

In a fun, good way!

Yet, it works so well in BigTen Iowa City. College town blended into a working city (old capital of IA), the atmosphere...

The loss really doesnt matter. The mac games are the regular season and their division is wide open (bad)

True but how bad do you have to be to lose to Albany? I already bought tickets to UB @ Boston College Oct 1. Hope it's not a total schittshow.

True but how bad do you have to be to lose to Albany? I already bought tickets to UB @ Boston College Oct 1. Hope it's not a total schittshow.

Didn't watch but looking at the stats it seems like Rohach (sp?) was an absolute tire fire. Jackson looks like he performed better even with the late turnovers. Give the team to the kid and let him cut his teeth.

Didn't watch but looking at the stats it seems like Rohach (sp?) was an absolute tire fire. Jackson looks like he performed better even with the late turnovers. Give the team to the kid and let him cut his teeth.

Yup. For a senior who came from a P5 conference, Rohach looked lost against a FCS team. But what's slightly more troubling is Coach Leipold saying he's still trying to decide between Rohach and Jackson. A blind man would be able to see the difference. Like I described earlier, Jackson looks like Cardale, raw but with boatloads of potential.

I would swap that embarrassment of a football program, for D1 Hockey & D1 Lacrosse any day of the week. Lacrosse is especially a no brainer in terms of facilities needed to get up and running.

The student base which is huge has no interest in attending the home football games, and the WNY community is all about the Bills, and for the most part don't give a hoot about UB football.

I would swap that embarrassment of a football program, for D1 Hockey & D1 Lacrosse any day of the week. Lacrosse is especially a no brainer in terms of facilities needed to get up and running.

The student base which is huge has no interest in attending the home football games, and the WNY community is all about the Bills, and for the most part don't give a hoot about UB football.

The basketball team was an embarrassment too until it won back-to-back conference titles. You can give up or you can keep striving.

UB is the largest school in a large state. It ranks up there with the Penn States and UConns. It should have big time athletics including football. WNY already has a Canisius. We don't need another.

This is exactly the way I see it. I'm down here in Virginia and the local university ODU went from FCS to FBS. I thought it was a big mistake. As an FCS school they made the playoffs in their first year of eligibility and probably would have been a perennial contender for national championships. As an FBS school it's hard to get hyped to watch them play teams like UTEP and get blown out by teams like NC State. Just not very conducive to fan support when the best you can hope for is a 4 or 5 loss season and a berth in the Boca Raton Bowl or something stupid like that.

They beat stony brook in 5 ot in 2013, then put up a 6-2 conference record and made a bowl game.

Its certainly not a good thing, but it isnt a season killer unless they are northern illinois going for a major berth or something.

Woo go Danes!

Promo, some friends and I are making a weekend out of Oct. 15th-16th. Ball State at UB on Saturday then SF at the Bills on Sunday. My friend (9ers fan) has a couple of kids he coached playing for UB so he's excited.

I don't know a lot about college football but is this really that bad? Aren't the southern schools, even the small ones like Albany, usually better than northern schools?

Underrated post.

The UB football student section is very small, there's just seems to be no interest in football from the student body. They rock the building for basketball, it's a great atmosphere, but they can't draw students for football.

As for the QB, they have to go with Jackson. He is an athletic QB with a big arm, he just needs to play and get better. If he carries the ball like a RB and not one handed and unprotected, they score and take the lead very late in the 4th quarter. He'll learn from this and will continue to get better.

I don't know a lot about college football but is this really that bad? Aren't the southern schools, even the small ones like Albany, usually better than northern schools?

Doesn't sound like you know where Albany is located either...

Edited by ricojes

Very good point. MY neighbors daughter is a senior this year & wants to get into a pre med program. Very good student, had solid sat scores. Her first choice is UB. Her guidance counselor told her don't even bother applying, being a local student you wont get in. To many people at UB from downstate(NYC) where they could careless about sports that represents WNY & I hate to sound racist but too many foreign students at UB where they could careless about football or basketball. All they seem to care about is getting an education. UB's poor attendance I think could be directly attributed to the dynamics that make up the student body. With the amount of students they have that place should be packed every week. Although I do agree with Rich, the stadium does suck. And of course losing to Albany isn't going to help things. There are some real bad teams in the MAC this year.

Y'all just don't get the CAA is the best FCS conference in the country...even our dregs can beat FBS teams!!!!

Much appreciated on the Richmond bet this weekend. Had $50 on them. Thanks for the insight.

Edited by Gordio

https://en.m.wikipedia.org/wiki/Albany,_New_York

Yeah it's kind of bad. Certainly embarrassing.

Edited by PromoTheRobot

Woo go Danes!

Promo, some friends and I are making a weekend out of Oct. 15th-16th. Ball State at UB on Saturday then SF at the Bills on Sunday. My friend (9ers fan) has a couple of kids he coached playing for UB so he's excited.

Underrated post.

I'm doing the Army game. Same weekend as the Cards game. Also going to see UB @ Boston College Oct 1.