FSU's Travis Rudolph shows refreshing kindness

dpberr

A wonderful act of kindness by a kind soul.

The cafeteria can be a place of community and also a place of isolation.

No doubt.

One look at that picture and it made me sad that many days he's alone at the end of the table, surrounded by tables full of kids. The Daily Mail runs articles on kids who have nobody show up to their parties (equally tragic) fairly often. These kids are your average American kids. They aren't some kids in rural Slovakia surrounded by farm animals and tractors that you can't relate to.

I know there are folks that will say "oh he's autistic that's why!" and "oh, it'll teach him the hard realities of life" but I tend to think that sitting alone eating your lunch as a 6th grade child day after day has lasting effects on the future adult this young man becomes and that hurts.

These stories and the stories about the 12 year old kids committing suicide because of bullying really punch me in the nuts.

Edited by dpberr

This is where schools fall short on the social aspect. How do they let an autistic kid sit by himself every day?

Nice job by Rudolph.

You bring up a good point as to why the school monitors didn't put in an effort/encourage other kids to sit with him. Even if it was somewhat manufactured it would have been a good teaching moment for the other students to have more empathy towards kids who are different.

When I saw the picture it was like this kid who had challenges was simply dumped in a situation that he was not equipped for. A little more effort by the school to have the populations mix a little more would have benefited all parties.

The picture of the football player sitting with the kid warmed my heart but it also made me sad thinking what the kid usually goes through during the lunch hour.

This is where schools fall short on the social aspect. How do they let an autistic kid sit by himself every day?

Nice job by Rudolph.

You make a great point. We are getting to the point where we want to teach elementary students calculus, yet we fail in the most important lessons of life. Isn't learning how to communicate and relate to people one of the most important skills in life? Yet schools do nothing to teach kids how to leave their comfort zone to relate with others that are different than themselves. This is especially scary considering we already have a generation of people that don't how to communicate without a phone in front of them.

Nice job by Rudolph.

Which is sad because with the availability of information today........the main advantage to learning in a school environment is to learn how to socially interact with people. Well, people your exact age at least.

I have a 14 year-old autistic son. What a great story and a wonderful young man.

Thanks for sharing.

Chevy... I work for a ID/DD agency and see everyday what a difference even a small act of kindness can make a big difference in people lives. This is a great example and I shared it with the rest of our leadership team.