Pass Rush

I wonder if what we saw from Rex in preseason will be similar to what the regular season will have in store. If they are gettin pressure with a straightforward rush, is it worth adding the twists and stunts that Rex is so fond of? I wouldn't be surprised to see a more vanilla rush entering the season

I know that this won't be a popular opinion, but to have a good pass rush you need players that can consistently defeat 1v1 blocking. You can't rely on fooling people with schemes because that doesn't work vs good teams and top QBs. Right now, the Bills have 1 (Hughes) or maybe 2 (K Williams- if he comes back fully from his knee injury which has yet to be seen) who can do this. That's not enough to generate a strong pass rush in the NFL.

I know that this won't be a popular opinion, but to have a good pass rush you need players that can consistently defeat 1v1 blocking. You can't rely on fooling people with schemes because that doesn't work vs good teams and top QBs. Right now, the Bills have 1 (Hughes) or maybe 2 (K Williams- if he comes back fully from his knee injury which has yet to be seen) who can do this. That's not enough to generate a strong pass rush in the NFL.

Dareus had 10 sacks as a DT two years ago. That's outrageous. Granted he is gone for 1/4 but he surely Beats 1 on 1. He beats 2 on 1.

Dareus had 10 sacks as a DT two years ago. That's outrageous. Granted he is gone for 1/4 but he surely Beats 1 on 1. He beats 2 on 1.

I'm talking specifically about the first part of the season. As you mentioned, he won't be there.

Rex traditionally has got a pass rush through scheme rather than talent. He didn't last year. Will he this?

Rex traditionally has got a pass rush through scheme rather than talent. He didn't last year. Will he this?

Rex has always had very good defensive personnel. This may be one of his worst front 7s to start a season ever in terms of raw talent.

We will stink and this will be the biggest problem this season, i am for trading Gilmore to get another pass rusher. Gilmore is never going to be an elite play making corner and we will end -up over paying. Our position with the most depth is corner and he would get you the most in return.

I wonder if what we saw from Rex in preseason will be similar to what the regular season will have in store. If they are gettin pressure with a straightforward rush, is it worth adding the twists and stunts that Rex is so fond of? I wouldn't be surprised to see a more vanilla rush entering the season

2 seasons of not "doing what we do" would not be cool. Rex said he made a mistake in not running his d last season. Why would he not "do what he does" for a second straight year? As you mentioned, he is fond of twists and stunts, that's who he is and that is how the d is made up now that Rex has his players buying in. Sorry ,but this makes no sense to me.

I could be wrong, I often am, but in the years where Rex's D was successful I had the impression he had tremendous talent

We will stink and this will be the biggest problem this season, i am for trading Gilmore to get another pass rusher. Gilmore is never going to be an elite play making corner and we will end -up over paying. Our position with the most depth is corner and he would get you the most in return.

Hoo boy.

You do know teams don't typically trade strong pass rushers? It's kind of like trading your franchise QB. In fact, didn't the Chargers try to get Osi Umenyiora from the G-Men for Eli and were told "We Don't Trade Young Pass Rushers"?

As for Gilmore and our depth at corner, would those be the guys who were stinkin' up the joint in Washington on Friday?