Surprise Cuts - 2016

Yea Velasco on name value will be a surprise but on watching the pre-season play not at all.

I am hearing enough voices to suggest Robert Blanton is not absolutely safe which would be a surprise. He is behind Duke and Colt Anderson will make it for his teams ability.... so Blanton only stays if they carry 5 safties.

isnt blanton known for his special teams ability? I thought his excelling there was part of why he made a good backup S signing.

• Replies 101
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Top Posters In This Topic

Fwiw- not a huge surprise, but I think Velasco is a goner and he was an FA signing. O'leary probably cut too. Don't think anyone of great noteriety goes with the possible exception of Felton.

I certainly would not be relaxed if Wood went down and we were starting Velasco at center. Atlanta should pick him up, he might be an improvement there!

I think they had high hopes for O'Leary, but you could be right.

Unless he looks good tonight, I think Dez Lewis is gone.

Baby Gronk seems to be a "home town favorite" but despite Rex giving him the good word, I don't think he stays - not sure that's a surprise though.

We already had the one on offense...Karlos

True dat, to me at least.

Goodwin isn't getting cut. He's been running with the 1's and Rex likes him. He isn't a part of the receiver competition (like it or not). He's a lock.

If you want surprise candidates: Dez Lewis, Felton & Blanton would be my answers. A month ago Lewis looked like he'd be the #3 and he hasn't done anything since. Felton (and Gronk) just aren't good. One of them will make the team but both stink. Blanton was a guy that was thought to have a shot at starting next to AW. He's much further down the depth chart now.

You know, it wouldn't actually shock me if Glass Goodwin retires. He's obviously never been "all in" on football, and starting the season with a concussion, wouldn't surprise me if he's like "Oh, No! Not the head - I'm outta here!"

Likewise, while we'll miss his (healthy) play, I wonder if Aaron Williams retires or is cut before the start of the season? Given his neck history, being in concussion protocol so quickly is not a good place. Frankly, for his own long term health I kind of think he should consider stepping aside from the game.

(KW) I think this is his last season here, but I'd sure be surprised if he was let go this season.

I don't know who would really shock me. None of the WRs outside of Sammy and Woods would be a surprise cut. Dray might get the boot, but that would not be much of a surprise to me.

Kyle would definitely surprise me, especially given the Dareus suspension/rehab and so forth, plus the Bills would take a substantial cap hit I think. Next year, lower cap hit, higher starting salary, 34 years old - if he doesn't retire, I would think he's gone.

I certainly would not be relaxed if Wood went down and we were starting Velasco at center. Atlanta should pick him up, he might be an improvement there!

I think they had high hopes for O'Leary, but you could be right.

Unless he looks good tonight, I think Dez Lewis is gone.

Baby Gronk seems to be a "home town favorite" but despite Rex giving him the good word, I don't think he stays - not sure that's a surprise though.

True dat, to me at least.

You know, it wouldn't actually shock me if Glass Goodwin retires. He's obviously never been "all in" on football, and starting the season with a concussion, wouldn't surprise me if he's like "Oh, No! Not the head - I'm outta here!"

Likewise, while we'll miss his (healthy) play, I wonder if Aaron Williams retires or is cut before the start of the season? Given his neck history, being in concussion protocol so quickly is not a good place. Frankly, for his own long term health I kind of think he should consider stepping aside from the game.

Kyle would definitely surprise me, especially given the Dareus suspension/rehab and so forth, plus the Bills would take a substantial cap hit I think. Next year, lower cap hit, higher starting salary, 34 years old - if he doesn't retire, I would think he's gone.

They just added Alex Mack to play center

I think that you raise and interesting retirement point on the Texas guys. It is probably more likely that 1 of them retires. You can make a case for either of them to do just that.

Edited by Kirby Jackson

That's why it's a "surprise."

correct.

i was offering up a curveball given kromer has history with one guy, and the other has a history of underperforming, despite a couple of preseason games.

if i said someone obvious, it wouldnt be much of a surprise.

Aaron Williams.

I think they cut Aaron Williams because of his health. The team doesn't want to be part of that catastrophic injury that feels like it's right around the corner. He's already used up his good luckcard with the last neck injury.

Edited by dpberr

Aaron Williams.

I think they cut Aaron Williams because of his health. The team doesn't want to be part of that catastrophic injury that feels like it's right around the corner. He's already used up his good luckcard with the last neck injury.

theres no way they cut a medically cleared guy out of worry for his next injury.