Duke Williams

Was I wrong on this guy? Reports and the fact he is working with the starters while A. Williams recovers would indicate he has improved from last year. I thought he was awful last year. I thought he would be cut at the end of the season. But he looks to have made some improvement.

Maybe Ed Reed is a capable teacher

If you listen to the interview with Duke on the John Murphy show (August 16) it seems mostly that his attitude has changed.

I think between Ed Reed coaching them to be professionals and Rex's "All In," it seems that Duke has rededicated himself.

He basically said that he didn't do what he needed to do last year (buy in, study more, etc.). Maybe he was one of the guys

influenced by the malcontents last year (my speculation). He probably also realized with the year he had last year and the new

guys that they brought in that his job was on the line. He seems hungry this year. The whole team does, each for their own reasons,

and I think this is a very positive development. True culture change, not banners in the field house.

http://www.buffalobills.com/video/audio/The_John_Murphy_Show_August_16/d35f9a60-264d-451e-8806-306006d75a03

Interview starts at like 56:50

I thought he was really coming on in the back half of the Schwartz year but then there was a major regression last year. I have to think that was, at least in part, him not understanding the defense as he seemed to be out of position on pretty much every play. He certainly looks "all in" so far this year and if he is with his physical tools he can be pretty good for us.

I thought he was really coming on in the back half of the Schwartz year but then there was a major regression last year. I have to think that was, at least in part, him not understanding the defense as he seemed to be out of position on pretty much every play. He certainly looks "all in" so far this year and if he is with his physical tools he can be pretty good for us.

hes athletically a beast, but not the brightest.

in a simplified scheme its not a shock hed look more talented, and in this one it likely will take him time (if it ever clicks).

I'll have to see him in actual coverage to determine if he's improved. He's definitely hitting hard and getting in on plays, which is good, but he still has a lot to prove.

He looked much better against the 2s and 3s in week 1 of the preseason than he did on Saturday. Not that he looked bad on Saturday, he didn't -- he just didn't pop like he did in the last game. Personally I won't be confident in Duke starting on Sundays until he proves he can do it consistently against starting competition. We've yet to see that.

Rex has been effusive about Duke multiple times this offseason/camp

http://bills.buffalonews.com/2016/07/30/said-buffalo-bills-training-camp-transcripts-rex-ryan-tyrod-taylor-wilder-jr-k-williams/

Q: Backup safety Duke Williams looks like he’s with the second group there. That may surprise some people considering his struggles last year. Can you talk about where he came from last year in the offseason to now?

A: I think that when you look at our slogan about being all in, and by the way it worked for Clemson, and it worked for Cleveland, it did right? I mean they said ‘All In’ in the playoffs. Alright? I’m just expecting the same thing to be great. We’ll sign up for it. But he really is a young man that I even had a conversation with about it’s really about being all in. There’s no ands or buts about it. And he understands how I feel. Man I’ll tell you what. He’s the man that’s bringing in the coffee. That’s how much time he spends in here. So he wants it bad. And I see a different player. I see a player with way more confidence. Not something that is going to be handed to him. He’s going to have to earn everything he gets and he’s ok with that right now. So I think it’s great to see him that way

https://bills.buffalonews.com/2016/08/15/said-buffalo-bills-training-camp-transcripts-rex-ryan-lorenzo/

Q: Rex, the competition with or without Aaron’s injury at safety seems to be really good right now with Jonathan (Meeks) and Duke (Williams) and Robert (Blanton). Can you kind of assess that position behind the top two?

A: We’re still letting it sort out because you’re right. Duke, I thought, had a really impressive game, physical. Like that’s the Duke Williams that I’ve been wanting but right down from his attitude and everything else, he’s been a different guy this year. He’s all-in and I think that’s the best thing, whether he’s running with the ones, twos or threes. It doesn’t matter. He’s doing as good a job as he can and you see a little bounce in his step. ...

http://bills.buffalonews.com/2016/05/24/said-transcripts-bills-otas-rex-ryan-cordy-glenn-jerry-hughes-tyrod-taylor/

Q: Rex, Robert Blanton, you could really hear his voice, moving people around. He was very audible out there, taking charge. Is that something you knew he’d be able to do right away in this defense and can you kind of comment on his development there?

A: Well you don’t really know until you get him out there but it’s something we kind of suspected. I really liked him when he came out of college, he played corner, safety, so he kind of fit that new breed if you will at safety that they’re playing in this league. A guy that has the ability to play man-coverage and all that but man, he’s been sharp, there is no question about that. When he came in for a visit we kind of thought he definitely had that to him but yeah, he’s been great. I tell you, there’s been two other guys I’ve been really impressed with and these two guys are in before coaches, after, it is crazy, and that’s (Jonathan) Meeks and Duke Williams. I think both those two guys, they come in together, they live with Dan Lynn (defensive assistant D’Anton Lynn), they live with Ed Reed, I mean they’re here all the darn time and you can see it in their play as well. ...

Last year was certainly trying for the young man. His game left a lot to be desired and he was called out publicly. That can shake a guy's confidence. I believe this offseason that he's really worked on shoring up weaknesses and elevating his dick game to A-1. I wouldn't be surprised if the improved confidence that comes with having a strong, A-1 dick game translates to better performance on the field as well. Time will tell.

I never thought he was that bad. Hes not great in coverage but i blame that on more of a lack of speed. His game actually reminds me of lil donte. The difference being we didnt waste a top 10 pick on him.

speed is one of his strengths. the issue is making sure hes in position and taking the right steps.

Last year was certainly trying for the young man. His game left a lot to be desired and he was called out publicly. That can shake a guy's confidence. I believe this offseason that he's really worked on shoring up weaknesses and elevating his dick game to A-1. I wouldn't be surprised if the improved confidence that comes with having a strong, A-1 dick game translates to better performance on the field as well. Time will tell.

Will you be giving us the inside scoop on that?

:lol::lol::beer:

Didnt Ty Powell get hurt?

Yes - was a promising prospect then tore his ACL. Looks like signed with Eagles earlier this year but they put him on reserve/retired list so apparently career ending injury.

Not a good comparison for this discussion

They needed a Williams to replace a Williams since they cut a Williams om D (Mario)...so again we lead the league in Williams!

Go Williams..err..Go Bills!

ps We cut a Williams RB and Replaced with a Williams!!!

just say'n

Eight of the games with Schwartz he looked like the best safety on the field when he played.

He goes hot and cold but hopefully currently staff has figured out how to keep in hot zone without doing an Aaron Williams style blowup.