$70,000,000 high school football stadium

The district did try to soften the blow somewhat for taxpayers. During the same meeting, trustees also discussed lowering the property tax rate 5 cents to $1.62

Meanwhile I am paying:

$13.04 City Tax

$8.82 County Tax

$22.89 School Tax

For a grand total of $44.75 property tax per thousand of the value of my home.

I am sure that only includes the city or county tax for that article, but $1.62? wtf NY.

Edited by What a Tuel

Meanwhile I am paying:

$13.04 City Tax

$8.82 County Tax

$22.89 School Tax

For a grand total of $44.75 property tax per thousand of the value of my home.

I am sure that only includes the city or county tax for that article, but $1.62? wtf NY.

Put the jump to conclusions mat away for a second. That's $1.62 per $100 on Texas, or 16.20 per $1000. Yours is $22.89 per $1000. Difference is less than you are thinking or trying to overstate. Plus, in Texas, education is garbage, teachers are underpaid, and the rapid growth of the state as a whole (ie constant new taxes) keeps rates lower. Not to mention that a lot of development in Texas and the south result in homeowners associations with high money dues that are simply taxes collected by your subdivision for garbage, water, maintenance, etc. that artificially keep local taxes down but are invariably the same thing... a monthly tax. Upstate has to manage with no growth and trying to BS the public that all this new growth is beneficial when in fact billions in subsidy (Corporate welfare) to build and the significantly reduced property taxes rates don't help. It's a charade. Plus, taxpayers in NY, you probably included, don't want consolidation to reduce services and the size of govt. When push comes to shove, everyone complains about their taxes until their community wants to consolidate police or fire or eliminate the local govt and merger with the place next door.

Complaining about taxes is a time honored game and one unfortunately many don't truly understand.

Move to Texas... it's a hellhole.

Put the jump to conclusions mat away for a second. That's $1.62 per $100 on Texas, or 16.20 per $1000. Yours is $22.89 per $1000. Difference is less than you are thinking or trying to overstate. Plus, in Texas, education is garbage, teachers are underpaid, and the rapid growth of the state as a whole (ie constant new taxes) keeps rates lower. Not to mention that a lot of development in Texas and the south result in homeowners associations with high money dues that are simply taxes collected by your subdivision for garbage, water, maintenance, etc. that artificially keep local taxes down but are invariably the same thing... a monthly tax. Upstate has to manage with no growth and trying to BS the public that all this new growth is beneficial when in fact billions in subsidy (Corporate welfare) to build and the significantly reduced property taxes rates don't help. It's a charade. Plus, taxpayers in NY, you probably included, don't want consolidation to reduce services and the size of govt. When push comes to shove, everyone complains about their taxes until their community wants to consolidate police or fire or eliminate the local govt and merger with the place next door.

Complaining about taxes is a time honored game and one unfortunately many don't truly understand.

My bad you are right, I missed that per $100 taxable value.

I'll respectfully disagree that the property taxes for these places equal out to high places like NY because of other random fees. I pay quite a few random fees on top of my property taxes in NY.

I live in Texas...in Austin. It's pretty nice. The rest of Texas though...yeah...not great.

I live in Katy Texas and my wife works for the district. What they do differently here is that all the high schools in the district share the stadium. It really is nice for all the schools to be able to play in a nice facility. Besides....everything is bigger in texas!

I live in Texas...in Austin. It's pretty nice. The rest of Texas though...yeah...not great.

I love Austin, it's amazing here. San Antonio isn't bad, and the Dallas suburbs are nice. Houston blows.

We don't have a state income tax and Texas is an amazing place to live. Edited by Chilly

I love Austin, it's amazing here. San Antonio isn't bad, and the Dallas suburbs are nice. Houston blows.

We don't have a state income tax and Texas is an amazing place to live.

Yup. Lived in Austin and now Dallas. Love them both.

We moved to NC before we had kids and moved right back to WNY when it came time for school.

Public schools down there are suspect at best. Unless you live in a town with, surprise, high school taxes.

Private school tuition would have more than obliterated any tax savings.

Plus houses tend to be cheaper here.

It's a lot more complex than simply "NY taxes = barf."

I live in Katy Texas and my wife works for the district. What they do differently here is that all the high schools in the district share the stadium. It really is nice for all the schools to be able to play in a nice facility. Besides....everything is bigger in texas!

Just curious, but how exactly do they do that? I recall in WNY HS games were Saturday afternoon. In Florida every game was Friday night. How many teams can share a stadium? That's serious $$$ for a HS stadium, but I know they take is seriously.

Edited by Augie