TOD 8/2: NFL camps too easy?

Sorry to miss some time - moving this weekend / week- up to my ass in real estate transactions and moving boxes. Also intermittent access to the Internet. Next week should be smoother. Anyway a new TOD:

Are players too coddled under the new CBA. No two-a-days and generally a lighter camp atmosphere around the league. Is this a good thing or a bad thing?

Terrell Davis was saying something on this subject yesterday on NFLN...he was talking mostly on a RB perspective tho...said it takes longer these days for RB's to get into a grove and learn the plays...said he needed the contact in camp to get used to the physicality of the game...but he did state that he would have loved to have these "softer" camps because they are easier (and who wouldnt want to make things easier on oneself..lol)...

Edited by Tsaikotic

In many interviews, you'll hear players and coaches comment about the new CBA, in that Offensive Lineman pay the worst penalty, amd retards their growth in the NFL.

Offensive lines are more complicated in the NFL, and more than any other position, the O-Line works as one cohesive unit. This makes it a lot harder for a guy like John Miller to get up to speed than before 2011. As far as other players, if it saves injuries which I haven't seen any data from the old CBA to now, but it's possible. If that were true, you can potentially connect Rex's comments from last year's camp. He stated last year he was trying to figure out who was the starting QB so he ran split sessions. The result was more soft tissue injuries heading into the season, and lingered throughout the year. You can take that leap possibly under the old CBA, coaches over worked players and would get injured.

The thing to remember 25-30 years ago, players had jobs in the off season, and would come to camp to get in shape. Now, with all of these OTA's, and the general wealth of players, they are coming to camp in shape (except genius Karlos), and even rookies make more than enough to make staying in shape, their job.

Anyone hear the PFF guy Sam monnen on Murphy show yesterday? He said that he's been to a few camps so far this year and he said bills camp seemed more "relaxed" than steelers and Browns. He said theirs was more meticulous and efficient than the bills. He criticized that because he said with the new rules they don't get as much practice time and teams need to use it as efficiently as possible. Wondering if anyone who was there noticed this.

Is this true? Do the stats support this conclusion?

Yes and no. Basically there are less training camp injuries due to less practices/ padded practices/full contact/etc. That being said, it's looks like players are getting hurt more during the regular season because of the fact that training camp didn't provide enough physical contact to prepare the players for the regular season. I don't know for sure if there is data that supports this but that was Bill Polians stance on the matter.

Few years old but here's the article. http://profootballtalk.nbcsports.com/2013/08/07/are-new-practice-rules-contributing-to-rash-of-serious-injuries/

The theory makes sense. Comparing it to a pitcher in baseball who would you think is more likely to be injured, a pitcher that throws 3 lobs and then goes into a game throwing 90mph or a pitcher that goes through a normal warm-up before throwing 90mph? Yes, there will be injuries either way but I'd put my money on the first pitcher.

Edited by The Wiz

Anyone hear the PFF guy Sam monnen on Murphy show yesterday? He said that he's been to a few camps so far this year and he said bills camp seemed more "relaxed" than steelers and Browns. He said theirs was more meticulous and efficient than the bills. He criticized that because he said with the new rules they don't get as much practice time and teams need to use it as efficiently as possible. Wondering if anyone who was there noticed this.

I thought the practice seemed relaxed on Sunday when I went. They had no pads on and was more a speedy walk through so I didn't give it much thought

Terrell Davis was saying something on this subject yesterday on NFLN...he was talking mostly on a RB perspective tho...said it takes longer these days for RB's to get into a grove and learn the plays...said he needed the contact in camp to get used to the physicality of the game...but he did state that he would have loved to have these "softer" camps because they are easier (and who wouldnt want to make things easier on oneself..lol)...

Davis also said the "virtual" technology is important. Vision is important to RBs. He said more reps without risk.

I heard someone report that the Stillers were "knocking the **** out of each other" in practice -- I think that's just Tomlin's style. As for the Browns, they once again have a new coach and systems to implement so I'd expect they are pretty focused.

I don't know whether there's any correlation between the level of "relaxation" noted by camp attendees and regular season performance. :P

It's becoming flag football. I understand the reasoning but it still is a little frustrating. When I played long ago, I despised camp. Absolutely the worse thing ever if you had a starting spot. That said, they are great for team chemistry.

Besides, the Bills in 90s never practiced in trading camp and that worked out ok.

I heard someone report that the Stillers were "knocking the **** out of each other" in practice -- I think that's just Tomlin's style. As for the Browns, they once again have a new coach and systems to implement so I'd expect they are pretty focused.

I don't know whether there's any correlation between the level of "relaxation" noted by camp attendees and regular season performance. :P

and, now one of their starting CBs is out for 12 weeks with an injury. Probably the position group where they could least absorb a loss.

I think it depends on players - some players are spending their offseason planning gambling trips and cruises and other such recreational items for months at a time not even having time to show up at non-contact practices but others seem to do well getting in shape and mindset by themselves. I think practices should be longer but coaches should use proper discretion to give waivers when players have shown they are ready not just because they are being paid highly or veterans.