How hot is it?

Beerball

A brutal 68 today in San Fran.

Whoa! Shorts and t-shirt weather over there! Seriously that's warm for this time of year. Here's a fun exercise. Watch for all the tourists freezing their asses off. It's almost August in CA. We'll pack all our summer clothes. The street vendors do brisk sweatshirt sales this time of year. LOL.

77... AC to 73!

P

It's 77 and you have you're AC on?? We've lived in 8 places in CA and only one (I think) even had AC and we only used it twice in the 7 years we lived there

Whoa! Shorts and t-shirt weather over there! Seriously that's warm for this time of year. Here's a fun exercise. Watch for all the tourists freezing their asses off. It's almost August in CA. We'll pack all our summer clothes. The street vendors do brisk sweatshirt sales this time of year. LOL.

It's 77 and you have you're AC on?? We've lived in 8 places in CA and only one (I think) even had AC and we only used it twice in the 7 years we lived there

Winter we heat to 65-68... That is 8-5 degrees colder than we cool to in summer.

I like it like a meat locker... When it gets into the 60s and 50's all the windows get opened and the house chilled down.

Better for your metabolism when you sleep in the cold.

I would rathet be cold than hot. We took a copper mine tour in Michigan and the guy was trying to get us wear his God awful coats... Seems people get cold 100 feet down where it is 40 degrees... We just said no thank you and went into the mine with our shorts & tee shirts. Being cold is a state of mind, until you get frostbite. ;-)

Edited by ExiledInIllinois

Winter we heat to 65-68... That is 8-5 degrees colder than we cool to in summer.

I like it like a meat locker... When it gets into the 60s and 50's all the windows get opened and the house chilled down.

Better for your metabolism when you sleep in the cold.

I would rathet be cold than hot. We took a copper mine tour in Michigan and the guy was trying to get us wear his God awful coats... Seems people get cold 100 feet down where it is 40 degrees... We just said no thank you and went into the mine with our shorts & tee shirts. Being cold is a state of mind, until you get frostbite. ;-)

People here act like it's the next ice age when it gets below 20. I walk around in short sleeves just to piss them off. "Aren't you cold?" "Of course not. This isn't cold."

People don't understand that when the cold air hits your skin, your surface blood vessels constrict, and you don't lose much heat. As long as it's not wet or windy, and you keep your core temperature up (drink hot coffee or something), you can tolerate sub-freezing temps comfortably for a surprising length of time...until you get frostbite.

People here act like it's the next ice age when it gets below 20. I walk around in short sleeves just to piss them off. "Aren't you cold?" "Of course not. This isn't cold."

People don't understand that when the cold air hits your skin, your surface blood vessels constrict, and you don't lose much heat. As long as it's not wet or windy, and you keep your core temperature up (drink hot coffee or something), you can tolerate sub-freezing temps comfortably for a surprising length of time...until you get frostbite.

LoL... I am living in shorts year 'round... I even shovel snow in them... Just as long as I wear a knit hat, I am fine. Gloves won't come on till it gets really cold. Never smoked or routiney drink alcohol, so freezing extremities never a lingering problem...

...Until I get frostbite... ;-)

Read about this dude. Google:

Lewis Gordon Pugh

http://en.m.wikipedia.org/wiki/Lewis_Pugh

They don't know how he does it, but he can raise his core temp before he swims. He is nicknamed "The Ice Bear." "The Sir Edmund Hillary of swimming."

EDIT:

"Anticipatory Thermo-Genesis:

On both his Arctic and Antarctic expeditions Professor Tim Noakes, a sports scientist from the University of Cape Town, recorded Pugh's ability to raise his core body temperature by nearly 2 °C in anticipation of entering the freezing water. He coined the phrase "anticipatory thermo-genesis" (the creation of heat before an event). This phenomenon had not been noted in any other human. Pugh believes it is a Pavlovian Response to years of cold water swimming."

Edited by ExiledInIllinois

A guy I play tennis with in Atlanta a few afternoons a week (in 90-100 degree heat) does not turn his AC on until his wife texts and says she's coming home from work and cool the stupid house down. I'm pretty sure that's not cost effective, but I'm positive we could never be best friends. Life is too short - and hot - to be that tight with a penny. Strangely, he wears long sweats and hoodie or long sleve tee shirt in that heat too. It often seems like a battle to the death, and I'm shocked none of us has crossed the finish line one hot day.

LoL... I am living in shorts year 'round... I even shovel snow in them... Just as long as I wear a knit hat, I am fine. Gloves won't come on till it gets really cold. Never smoked or routiney drink alcohol, so freezing extremities never a lingering problem...

...Until I get frostbite... ;-)

Read about this dude. Google:

Lewis Gordon Pugh

http://en.m.wikipedia.org/wiki/Lewis_Pugh

They don't know how he does it, but he can raise his core temp before he swims. He is nicknamed "The Ice Bear." "The Sir Edmund Hillary of swimming."

EDIT:

"Anticipatory Thermo-Genesis:

On both his Arctic and Antarctic expeditions Professor Tim Noakes, a sports scientist from the University of Cape Town, recorded Pugh's ability to raise his core body temperature by nearly 2 °C in anticipation of entering the freezing water. He coined the phrase "anticipatory thermo-genesis" (the creation of heat before an event). This phenomenon had not been noted in any other human. Pugh believes it is a Pavlovian Response to years of cold water swimming."

He's got nothing on this guy:

https://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/Wim_Hof

Holds the world record for being immersed in an ice bath. Climbed Everest in shorts - didn't summit because of a foot injury, but otherwise called it "easy." Did summit Kilima N'jaro...in two days...in bicycle shorts.

He's got nothing on this guy:

https://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/Wim_Hof

Holds the world record for being immersed in an ice bath. Climbed Everest in shorts - didn't summit because of a foot injury, but otherwise called it "easy." Did summit Kilima N'jaro...in two days...in bicycle shorts.

LoL... Wow. Aside from Pugh's politics :doh: ... Can this dude raise his core temp too?

It can only get warmer for these guys... ;)