TOD 7/26: REX - love or hate him?

Let's just pick other arbitrary measures of judgement while we're at it. How many teams with a new HC, OC, DC, and starting QB that was in 3-way tryouts for the job in camp and have made the playoffs in their first season? Who the hell knows? Hey, here's a stat you'll like. If you add the collective record of every head coach in the playoffs last year in their first season with their team, you would get exactly 97-95. Out of 12, only 4 had a record above 0.500 in their first year with their new team. Love Rex or hate him? Neither. To assume that a brand new system can be installed in a year with a QB that's never started, and players that don't fit schemes you're trying to run is just plain stupid. So, let's just say that they end up 8-8 again this year. Should the team completely reboot? I don't think so.

I don't find any of these things arbitrary or irrelevant. How could it be irrelevant that no coach of this era has been bad for 5 straight years and then won a Superbowl? Other side of the coin, how could it be irrelevant that playoff coaches struggled in their first season? Thanks for bringing the latter info to the table, dude.

• Replies 109
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Top Posters In This Topic

Agreed. Posters on this board seem to think changing coaches every 2 or 3 years is something other than a absolute guarantee of ongoing failure. Since there isn't any practice time anymore (thanks CBA) teams with new coaching staffs need to invest at least 2-3 years in a new staff to see if the players can win with them. Is what it is. Schemes are complex, especially the exotic stuff Roman and Rex run. Lets put it this way, if Pegs dumps Rex after this year, he better get some plain vanilla scheme guys ; i can't take the 3 year learning curves for new coaching schemes with rotating set of players...players have the power of guaranteed contracts- they can just not buy in initially (see; Mario W.) long term stability in the coaching staff means a lot in today's NFL.

Fallacy. Get the right guy & keep him. Get a schmuck & you want to continue the madness? Gimmeabreak.

Agreed. Posters on this board seem to think changing coaches every 2 or 3 years is something other than a absolute guarantee of ongoing failure. Since there isn't any practice time anymore (thanks CBA) teams with new coaching staffs need to invest at least 2-3 years in a new staff to see if the players can win with them. Is what it is. Schemes are complex, especially the exotic stuff Roman and Rex run. Lets put it this way, if Pegs dumps Rex after this year, he better get some plain vanilla scheme guys ; i can't take the 3 year learning curves for new coaching schemes with rotating set of players...players have the power of guaranteed contracts- they can just not buy in initially (see; Mario W.) long term stability in the coaching staff means a lot in today's NFL.

You can make assumptions and generalizations all you like, that's your right. But you'll never find a fan who in reality would support firing coaches quickly as an actual strategy.

If you hire a poor coach then you only make things worse by leaving him in place and turning over more and more personnel for him each season. The sooner you move on from a mistake the faster your franchise can right the ship.

It comes down to your evaluation of Rex. Yours is different than mine I am sure.

It's interesting because the point you bring up about the lack of practice time, which I like to call the death of the padded practice, makes me less accepting of Rex rather than more accepting. He's trying to implement exotic schemes as you say without any time to do it. With seemingly infinite checks and re-alignments before the snap in an era where the snap comes faster than ever. Many times last year they couldn't even get the defensive playcall in on time, the offense would be lining/lined up and the defense would have their hands in the air like "what are we doing coach?"

All this in an era where players are freelance mercenaries moreso than ever-- guys are getting the big paycheck and then running for the hills of retirement while they can still physically run. Not only do they have less incentive than ever to buy in but rosters are turning over faster than ever. And this guy coaches his defense like its 1975 and he's going to have the same 11 starters for a decade.

Not to mention, its a passing league yet he plays run & stop the run. Its a scoring league, yet when we get the ball at the end of the 1st half we're more committed to using all of the time than we are to scoring a touchdown.

Everything Rex does seems like it would've worked better some time in the past. And lo and behold, his results reflect exactly that.

Edited by Aaron

Did some work for this....

Weeb Ewbanks had .500 or worse seasons 7 of 8 years (including 6 straight) before winning SB III

Tom Landry had a .500 or worse record his first 5 years as a coach

That is it for 5 years in a row. However a surprising amount of SB winning coaches had 3 straight losing seasons, 4 of 5 losing seasons, and none were able to recreate the magic and win a sb with a different team.

I like that Rex has made us a story again and brought the Bills back to relevance. He has made being a Bills fan fun. He does have some warts as a coach. The Mario debacle falls on his shoulders for not benching him, the KC replay management was for lack of a better word pathetic, and the this is our super bowl before the 1st pats game were a bit much. I enjoy him as the coach and hope he does better but I don't put him in the same league as a Bill Belichick as a coach (very few that I do) but he is a better than average coach and one I believe the Bills can win with.

Whoa you did it!!! Thank you so much man, super cool of you.

That was kinda my suspicion, that it was probably done a real long time ago.

Much respect :thumbsup:

Don't like him. Think he is an over promoted coordinator. Thought that when he was taking the Jets to the AFC Championship game and said as much. Don't like his personality and don't rate him as a Head Coach.

Doesn't mean I am down on the team or invested in Rex's failure or any of that. I just think it was the wrong hire and said so.

He was fun when he was the other guys coach.

Stong dislike... Mid-season I likely won't put it so mildly. They were glaringly unprepared, unprofessional, and underachieving as a defense last year. Like Roman, thought he ran a tight ship.

A year ago the national press and WNY were having a love affair with Rex. Most believed his bravado in saying the Bills were going to make the playoffs. What do you think of Rex now? What if the Bills miss the playoffs this year, should Rex be run out of town?

does it have to be love or hate ?

I was never a fan, but i respected him for some reason.

jury is out for me still. I will be reaching a verdict after this season and not a moment before hand

If they finish 10-6 and miss the playoffs no way does Rex get replaced. This would be especially true if Tyrod takes another step forward this year. Personally, I am really rooting for Rex to be successful not simply because I am a Bills fan but I would just like to see it for him. I think he is a genuine guy and a good fit for Buffalo. If he puts together a good long winning run the Buffalo fans will love him even more than they loved Marv Levy. I think Rex gets Buffalo in a way no other coach has.

Damn Man, i had no idea !

Well spoken.

i will quietly chuckle when the bandwagon is overfilled.

I do not predict it. But i do hope for it, and can fore see it as honestly possible. i think the guy may have found his home

Edited by 3rdand12

Slacker

working on it Beer.

tried getting on a wagon, but kept falling off.

Believe me. i have been quite focused on the Bills these last couple years. Pegulas hiring of him was bit of a surprise. Got on board after a while and second game in? I fell off.

I am still willing to climb back on.

Prove them wrong Rex or go away. My patience has one year for you. Please do not disappoint :angry:

If they finish 10-6 and miss the playoffs no way does Rex get replaced. This would be especially true if Tyrod takes another step forward this year. Personally, I am really rooting for Rex to be successful not simply because I am a Bills fan but I would just like to see it for him. I think he is a genuine guy and a good fit for Buffalo. If he puts together a good long winning run the Buffalo fans will love him even more than they loved Marv Levy. I think Rex gets Buffalo in a way no other coach has.

That's the only reason I am rooting for him.

Hate is just too strong of a word... I find his pressers revolting at times, but mostly he comes accross as your garden-variety shmuck... That goes for his brother too, btw... They're just a couple of jagoffs who's presence I have to tolerate... I hope they win, but I seriously doubt it.

I don't like him. He's a big mouth goofball.

I'll never get past that as an NFL head coach with 6 years experience, he didn't have a replay system in place. Responding to questions why he didn't challenge a call in the KC game with "because they didn't show it on the screen" was ridiculous and embarrassing.

Rex when bills win = entertaining

Rex when bills lose = blowhard

I think when the Jets were winning under Rex, he was an entertaining blowhard.

When the Jets were losing under Rex, he was still an entertaining blowhard, because it's fun to see the Jets lose.

Now, he's just a blowhard and no number of wins will ever make him entertaining again.

I give him an incomplete so far. His moves on offense, hiring Roman and pushing for Tyrod, have played huge dividends. Best offense we've seen in forever.

The reason why he's an incomplete is because the defense sucked last year, and he mishandled a defensive transition that people in the know said would take a good year anyway. So while he screwed up, I'm planning on giving him two years to get his scheme in order.

As far as Rex the person goes, he seems like he would be a super fun coach to play for and I feel like we needed someone with his personality to fire everyone up after Marrone.

I thought the whole team played harder under Marrone than Rex, personally.

I thought the whole team played harder under Marrone than Rex, personally.

I agree. And as much as discipline was a problem under Marrone, a) it improved before he left and b) it's much, much worse under Rex.