Ray Rice - desperate or noble?

• Replies 54
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Top Posters In This Topic

I believe the NFL has done it before and it seems really weird that no team has touched him as a name player. Very rare to see 32 teams all feel the same way about the same player/issue.

As I said, 31 other teams are welcome to him. He seems to genuinely feel remorse and has done things the right way to make amends. DV is the kind of incident that rarely happens just the once but I can't judge him by the sins of others. I won't go as far as to commend him but he definitely seems like a better candidate for a second chance than others with off-field indiscretions.

You could very well be correct but it is still early in the off season. If he doesn't sign this off season I don't believe he'll get another shot - age and 2 years removed along with how rookies contribute now being the reasons. The off season can be used as a sort of buffer to explain to the public why you signed him and give a little time for it to set in with people that would object. I don't see a mid season signing.

If he had offered this before I saw a video of him cold clocking a female, all for it. "Everyone makes mistakes:" Punching a woman 100 pounds less than you is not a mistake.

!@#$ him.

There are varying degrees of mistakes i think.

Keep in mind she married him.

so she forgave him.

How about if she was 100 lbs heavier Steve ?

If he had offered this before I saw a video of him cold clocking a female, all for it. "Everyone makes mistakes:" Punching a woman 100 pounds less than you is not a mistake.

!@#$ him.

So you'd have forgiven what he did, before you saw what he did. Even though seeing it didn't change at all what he did.

Thanks for your opinion, Mr. Goodell.

Why doesn't he just do community service instead? His playing days are over, so why isn't he volunteering for such an organization now?

Because he wants to play. That's the point. He isn't offering to give up his salary to a charity out of his good graces. He is saying "Guys, I really want to play, if this awful case of domestic abuse is what is preventing any of you from signing me for fear of public backlash, then I will donate the salary money in order to help smooth over PR relations, I just really want to play"

I don't blame the NFL for staying away, but I am not sure they aren't blacklisting him because this is a hugely popular case, whereas other athletes are getting by with suspensions.

Edited by What a Tuel

Because he wants to play. That's the point. He isn't offering to give up his salary to a charity out of his good graces. He is saying "Guys, I really want to play, if this awful case of domestic abuse is what is preventing any of you from signing me for fear of public backlash, then I will donate the salary money in order to help smooth over PR relations, I just really want to play"

I don't blame the NFL from staying away, but I am not sure they aren't blacklisting him because this is a hugely popular case, whereas other athletes are getting by with suspensions.

Believe this, if the NFL thought he could still play, someone would sign him, like Vick after his equally infamous banishment from the league. They wouldn't care about the backlash at this point.

I was just saying that, sure he would like to play in the NFL again, but nothing is currently preventing him from donating his livelihood right now to his new favorite cause.

Believe this, if the NFL thought he could still play, someone would sign him, like Vick after his equally infamous banishment from the league. They wouldn't care about the backlash at this point.

I was just saying that, sure he would like to play in the NFL again, but nothing is currently preventing him from donating his livelihood right now to his new favorite cause.

I don't know, he is 29. We are talking about signing Reggie Bush who I think is done. I think we may both be right though. They probably think his current ability isn't worth any backlash at all.

Is a man defined the worst thing he has ever done? He screwed up. But I'm sure there is good in him too and I wouldn't begrudge him a second chance.

Unfortunately, the other problem for him is that he's not the player or 3 or 4 years ago.

Is a man defined the worst thing he has ever done? He screwed up. But I'm sure there is good in him too and I wouldn't begrudge him a second chance.

Unfortunately, the other problem for him is that he's not the player or 3 or 4 years ago.

That's the point. His "screw up" (which will probably be a weekly Saturday night thing at the Rice house anyway--like that;s the first time he casually clocked her) isn't keeping him out of the league...

If he was still a close to what he was, he would get that second chance. These owners are nothing if not cynical.

Any street FA RB can get you 3.1 YPC. There is no upside to signing this guy. I don't believe people deserve second chances. It is an entertainment league trying to expand female viewership. Ban or black-ball for life - I don't care either way. It is time to go away and get a real job Mr. Rice. And then we will see how long his wife stays with him making $50K a year.

What Ray Rice is, (besides a huge narcissist) -is chock-full of BAD ideas... What's weird is that I'd have considered signing him before this... To me, this signals the end...

The act of offering up your @$$ in exchange for ANYTHING, while common to nobility in the "historic" sense, is the OPPOSITE of anything virtuous, righteous, or moral...

Ray Rice is a blubbering Macgruber offering his rear-end to Piper... -Seems alot less funny in this version. :mellow:

That's the point. His "screw up" (which will probably be a weekly Saturday night thing at the Rice house anyway--like that;s the first time he casually clocked her) isn't keeping him out of the league...

If he was still a close to what he was, he would get that second chance. These owners are nothing if not cynical.

Thats a pretty slanderous assumption to make WEO.

Good question! Like most people, I like to define myself by the best I've done, not the worst.

He did something bad in the area of domestic violence. Now he wants to do something good. I'm all for it... though as has been said before, I'd prefer it happen somewhere besides Buffalo.

Why doesn't he just do community service instead? His playing days are over, so why isn't he volunteering for such an organization now?

He has been giving talks and admitting his error. trying to guide youth to not make the same mistakes. Not going to link, because i thought it as common knowledge by now.

I might assume you won't forgive his egregious error ?

I don't think anyone can argue that Ray Rice would offer more punch than Shady...judging from the videos of course.

That's just a cheap shot !!

Oh, just stop

His behavior with his wife was despicable. With that said, his real problem is he didn't't have the performance to make it worthwhile to take a chance. His last year was a down year, and why no one will take a chance.

If he came off a 6 yard per avg year and 1600 yards, someone would have given him the minimum. I hope he saved the money he earned as he is like Anthrax. No one will touch him.

I hope he turns this into something positive for the rest of his life, and hope he finished his degree so he can get a new career.

Good question! Like most people, I like to define myself by the best I've done, not the worst.

He did something bad in the area of domestic violence. Now he wants to do something good. I'm all for it... though as has been said before, I'd prefer it happen somewhere besides Buffalo.

This is a good post. Others remind me of the good i do and have done. Heck it has happened here even.

That is when i know my method is working !!

i keep in mind my worst efforts and use them as fuel strive to become my best each day.

doesn't always work out, but it sure does motivate me.