Ray Rice - desperate or noble?

• Replies 54
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Top Posters In This Topic

There's the right answer.

Thanks. I believe in forgiveness and second chances. What he did was despicable but they let Ron Mexico back and Drunk Driver killers too.

But if some team does give him that chance, I expect him to work harder off the field than on it to attempt to rehabilitate his image.

Thanks. I believe in forgiveness and second chances. What he did was despicable but they let Ron Mexico back and Drunk Driver killers too.

But if some team does give him that chance, I expect him to work harder off the field than on it to attempt to rehabilitate his image.

Well said.

I struggled with the Mets getting Reyes back recently, ("Struggled" is hyperbole, I know), but pretty much drew the same conclusion with regard to second chances. I know I'm far from perfect and have gotten plenty of them.

A huge part of feeling remorse, is taking responsibility for as long as it takes (or is worth it to you), to maintain those relationships. I have a special dislike for men who abuse women (probably more than a lot of others), but I am glad he continues to attempt to pay his dues. It would be a real shame if his response was "I have done all I can, and apologized, somebody should sign me"

http://www.usatoday.com/story/sports/nfl/2016/07/21/ray-rice-domestic-violence-baltimore-ravens/87380652/

Now what he did was wrong but other players have done worst and played again.

He is offering to donate his salary (net I assume) to domestic violence charity if he is signed by a team.

I am guessing he will want a signing bonus in part to pay expenses.

The minimum salary for a seventh-year veteran such as Rice in 2016 is $885,000, which would be a sizeable donation even after subtracting the chunk taken out for taxes. It also could provide a platform for Rice, 29, and the league to highlight the work of different organizations.

Rice’s last NFL contract paid $25 million over the first two years. He’s financially secure, and he’d be playing for a fraction of that regardless. With training camps opening next week, though, Rice remains unemployed. He last played in 2013, when he battled injury and averaged a career-low 3.1 yards on 214 carries.

The season he had prior pre-suspension was not so great. with yards from scrimmage being only 981.

I suppose he could be picked up by strong team with RB depth issues but due to guaranteed salary my general philosophy on this type of player is to sign post week 1 and include an option for the team to extend player with team paid bonus. Now I know players want guaranteed salaries but the risk to team is too high IMO. If player regresses the team has a lot of egg on face. It worked for Incognito but will not work with all players with issues.

Both. But he almost has to be.

I agree with this. I doubt he gets signed. He was going downhill before he made a horrible choice. Believe me, if he could play at a high level, he would be back in the league by now.

I totally believe in forgiveness as well but he could be noble without playing football. So if we're just talking football - I think he should absolutely be able to play and it's sad that he'd have to give up his salary to do so. He shouldn't have to as you say - they and we have welcomed back much worse people.

This is an interesting turn of events for Rice. Maybe he does get it?

Funny that Koolaid mentions a RB needy team. Hmm and Bills are looking at Bush (don't even go there).

Because i am No GM i would give him the Vet min, and let him donate it. Because it really is that is double down charity +1. And that is how i roll. even if he never played a down

Edited by 3rdand12

This is an interesting turn of events for Rice. Maybe he does get it?

Funny that Koolaid mentions a RB needy team. Hmm and Bills are looking at Bush (don't even go there).

Because i am No GM i would give him the Vet min, and let him donate it. Because it really is that is double down charity +1. And that is how i roll. even if he never played a down

That's an interesting angle.

How about this? As a GM you sign him and announce that you're going to allow Rice to join the team but probably won't play much - but I'm essentially signing him as a way to donate almost a million dollars to a necessary charity and give him a chance to atone himself. Then if he's actually needed to play - you can simply say hey he's earned it - after the initial signing part is dealt with first.

Edited by Triple Threat

How about this? As a GM you sign him and announce that you're going to allow Rice to join the team but probably won't play much - but I'm essentially signing him as a way to donate almost a million dollars to a necessary charity and give him a chance to atone himself. Then if he's actually needed to play - you can simply say hey he's earned it - after the initial signing part is dealt with first.

The NFL has pretty much blacklisted him. What I'd love to see is every owner pledge $885k to a domestic violence charity as a gesture that the league takes it seriously.

That would be just over $28 million.

Edited by Blokestradamus

You are reading my mind.

But do it honestly, and not as a marketing tool please. ( talking to you Russ )

The NFL has pretty much blacklisted him. What I'd love to see is every owner pledge $885k to a domestic violence charity as a gesture that the league takes it seriously.

My idea is better. Though not as financially impacting.

Forgiving is more important than money Blokes. If it is honestly given

I'm sure you're right that some teams have blacklisted him but I doubt the NFL is, can or should tell teams they can't sign him. If you believe he's genuine in trying to atone for his behavior by dedicating his salary - and you believe he can still effectively play football - I think a team should sign him. One because of second chances and two because that's a heck of a lot of money to go towards a charity that helps with domestic violence.

I'm sure you're right that some teams have blacklisted him but I doubt the NFL is, can or should tell teams they can't sign him. If you believe he's genuine in trying to atone for his behavior by dedicating his salary - and you believe he can still effectively play football - I think a team should sign him. One because of second chances and two because that's a heck of a lot of money to go towards a charity that helps with domestic violence.

I believe the NFL has done it before and it seems really weird that no team has touched him as a name player. Very rare to see 32 teams all feel the same way about the same player/issue.

As I said, 31 other teams are welcome to him. He seems to genuinely feel remorse and has done things the right way to make amends. DV is the kind of incident that rarely happens just the once but I can't judge him by the sins of others. I won't go as far as to commend him but he definitely seems like a better candidate for a second chance than others with off-field indiscretions.